Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Living and working in Dubai

Living and working in Dubai

Old Nov 5th 2002, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

petess99 has a brilliant futurepetess99 has a brilliant futurepetess99 has a brilliant futurepetess99 has a brilliant futurepetess99 has a brilliant futurepetess99 has a brilliant future
Default Living and working in Dubai

I am trying to find out more about living and working in Dubai. As a single, late-30s' Brit, what are the most important considerations in embarking upon a work-stay in Dubai. I have seen plenty of other-national comments on Dubai, and the city does indeed seem very international. But so far I haven't really seen any British input on the question. Any advice?
Old Nov 5th 2002, 5:51 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't comment on work aspects of Dubai as I only visited for parties and to see friends when I was in my twenties, some time ago and Dubai has internationalised and become a holiday destination since then. As for living conditions, it's the best place to live in the Arabian Gulf. There is alcohol available and decent bars and restaurants (some other states are 'dry' or effectively dry). As a single guy, I don't know (or care) whether you are heterosexual, gay or not interested, but assuming you are straight, women could be a problem. Dubai is being pushed as a family holiday destination and is much more expensive than (say) Greece or Spain or the Caribbean islands etc so you are unlikely to meet 'singles' on the razz whilst on their hols. You could meet nurses, stewardesses or young daughters of expats but that is not always what a 30 something guy would want. There just aren't very many other single European women working there. In other words - social life vis a vis contact with women will be somewhat constrained. But there are plenty of other destinations few hours flight away if you're prepared to take a day's extra holiday at the 'weekend' and fly somewhere lively.

Cheers - Don
Old Nov 12th 2002, 12:19 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working in Dubai

Originally posted by petess99
I am trying to find out more about living and working in Dubai. As a single, late-30s' Brit, what are the most important considerations in embarking upon a work-stay in Dubai. I have seen plenty of other-national comments on Dubai, and the city does indeed seem very international. But so far I haven't really seen any British input on the question. Any advice?

Even though the title of this site might put you off, do take a look at the country profile for Dubai here:

http://ww.expatmums.com (It's a site set up by expat spouses in Singapore. There are also single Brit mums living there so they might appreciate being taken out for a drink/movie/concert/dinner/tennis/golf etc. by a Brit single guy......

The noticeboard has a list of upcoming social events eg. Placido Domingo in concert, Thanksgiving dinner etc.

Worth taking a look - and you could post on the forum page as the expats there will be able to advise where to hook up with the expat community or best places to hang out, find a golf or tennis partner etc.

Hope this helps!
Old Nov 12th 2002, 12:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

Oops, typo!

It should be: http://www.expatmums.com

Also take a look at the local phone contact nos. for Dubai:

There are such expat groups as the Drama Club, Gardening Club, Internet Club, Choirs, Alcoholics Anonymous!!!! so there is a diverse number of things going on there.

You're very fortunate to have the opportunity to live and work in Dubai - it's a great place to have an expat posting. Have fun on the sand-dune safari!!
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Coxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in contacting you. I actually live and work over here in Dubai and have been for three and a half years. Even though my son is only 17 months old I can honestly say it is such a safe environment for children to live and be educated. I have many friends who have children here of all ages and all of them comment that the class sizes are much smaller than the UK so the teachers are more attentive to the children.
One recommendation is to make sure the company that you will be working for will pay the school fees as they are quite expensive. Take a look at this website as it is reputed to be the best school in Dubai http://www.jebelalischool.com/register.asp

Also quite a good read is the Time out Dubai magazine which is also available on the web http://www.timeoutdubai.com/ this will give you an insight into restaurants, bars, events etc.

I hope this will be of some use to you

p.s. will the company pay for your accom? as an average 3 bed unfurnished in the centre of the city will set you back approx 60,000 Dirhams which is 10,500 sterling
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Hello Don,
Firstly I must stop typing for a moment while I stop laughing at the reply you posted.............. thats better!! with all due respect I would request that you keep your "suggestions" to yourself rather than speculate on a city you have no concept of whatsoever.
This city is vibrant and how you can suggest "women could be a problem" I can only suggest you check your own sexuality as there is no shortage over here!! Finally, I would like you to take a look at the link below and then tell me if you would still suggest that we fly away for a weekend - Get real Don

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I won't comment on work aspects of Dubai as I only visited for parties and to see friends when I was in my twenties, some time ago and Dubai has internationalised and become a holiday destination since then. As for living conditions, it's the best place to live in the Arabian Gulf. There is alcohol available and decent bars and restaurants (some other states are 'dry' or effectively dry). As a single guy, I don't know (or care) whether you are heterosexual, gay or not interested, but assuming you are straight, women could be a problem. Dubai is being pushed as a family holiday destination and is much more expensive than (say) Greece or Spain or the Caribbean islands etc so you are unlikely to meet 'singles' on the razz whilst on their hols. You could meet nurses, stewardesses or young daughters of expats but that is not always what a 30 something guy would want. There just aren't very many other single European women working there. In other words - social life vis a vis contact with women will be somewhat constrained. But there are plenty of other destinations few hours flight away if you're prepared to take a day's extra holiday at the 'weekend' and fly somewhere lively.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 4th 2002, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Coxy
Hello Don,
Firstly I must stop typing for a moment while I stop laughing at the reply you posted.............. thats better!! with all due respect I would request that you keep your "suggestions" to yourself rather than speculate on a city you have no concept of whatsoever.
This city is vibrant and how you can suggest "women could be a problem" I can only suggest you check your own sexuality as there is no shortage over here!! Finally, I would like you to take a look at the link below and then tell me if you would still suggest that we fly away for a weekend - Get real Don

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/
Boy do I need to get out more were is Dubai ?? I know its middle East but were ???????

looks great by the way ..........
Old Dec 4th 2002, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Default Beautiful Dubai

Hi Jeannie,
Here is an interactive map http://www.find-our-community.net/re...e_East_map.htm and also some hyperlinks that will give you some more info on Dubai (the worlds best kept secret!!)
The architecture over here is incredible, especially the golf clubs as one is in the shape of a falcon see these links http://www.asiatraveltips.com/AbuDha...iGolfClub5.jpg
http://www.utc-dubai.com/galleryhtml...golfclubl.html
Old Dec 4th 2002, 5:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Coxy,

Not sure why I have to check my sexuality as last time I looked everything was there and I have a delightful clever wife and (nearly) 2 kids. But I am happy to concede anything you wish about my sexuality since you are the expert, maybe I am a closet gay and need to do a bit of uphill gardening. (Not. But I couldn't care less whether anyone is gay or not and a good mate of mine is a homosexual man.)

So where have all the SINGLE European women in Dubai come from in the last let's say 20 years? When I was there the only single European women between the ages of 19 and 40 were air stewardesses and nurses, maybe some very few teachers. What do they work as? Any statistics?

Maybe you have inadvertently been dating shemales or ladyboys and that's what got your goat up.

Cheers - Don
Old Dec 5th 2002, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Touché

Good riposte Don,
I still think you might be a crafty butcher though.
(one who sneaks the meat around the back!)
Seriously though, Dubai really is on the map now and there are virtually no restrictions. Population wise the actual split is astounding as only 19% of the population is U.A.E. Nationals and the remaining 81% is made up of all other nationalities. In respect of the ladies working out here (not the ones on the night shift I hasten to add as there are a number of those as well - and none of them are shemales that's for sure!) are working for various companies as IT, finance, fashion and also advertisement agencies are very big over here so the women really are in abundance.
If ever you are over this way again please get in touch as you would be more than welcome to stay with me and my family and I would gladly show you how this city has dramatically jumped into the new age.

All the best

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Coxy,

Not sure why I have to check my sexuality as last time I looked everything was there and I have a delightful clever wife and (nearly) 2 kids. But I am happy to concede anything you wish about my sexuality since you are the expert, maybe I am a closet gay and need to do a bit of uphill gardening. (Not. But I couldn't care less whether anyone is gay or not and a good mate of mine is a homosexual man.)

So where have all the SINGLE European women in Dubai come from in the last let's say 20 years? When I was there the only single European women between the ages of 19 and 40 were air stewardesses and nurses, maybe some very few teachers. What do they work as? Any statistics?

Maybe you have inadvertently been dating shemales or ladyboys and that's what got your goat up.

Cheers - Don
Old Apr 25th 2003, 11:53 am
agilmour

Default Dubai

Hi. I too am interested in moving/working in Dubai. I am 30ish(cough cough) british national and im in the legal profession, unfortunately not in the big league salary scale ie. a lawyer, but a PA. Can anyone assist me with pro's and con's of trying to seek employment out there? Many thanks. Angela

Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Dubai

Hi Ang,
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Dubai is an awesome place and I am sure that you will enjoy life over here. Over the next couple of days i will scan the papers and phone a few recruitment agencies for you to see what I can find.

Cheers

Pete
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:11 am
Just Joined

npark is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Living and working in Dubai

Have been monitoring this thread with interest..

I am nearly 40 , married with son and am looking at relocating to Dubai. Unlike the originator of this thread I have a business which I will move to Dubai as I already have some clients out there.

Can anyone let me know what the pro's and con's of moving home and business to Dubai. Especially the latter. Having visited Dubai on Business and vacation I am aware of how nice a place it is , but living and working is different from visiting.

How fluid is the business market for a Business/IT consultant ?

What are property prices like ?
Old May 1st 2003, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Hello Nigel,
Did you visit the Dubai Internet city while you were over here? as you will glean a wealth of knowledge from their website www.dubaiinternetcity.com

Previously to start a company over here you had to have a local partner who automatically had a 51% 49% split in their favour which wasn't particularly good business!! now though, you can set up in most free trade zones (approx 20 minutes out of town) and have 100% ownership.

In respect of the prospects for your company in the IT field I personally feel it is a good sector to be involved in especially now as so many major companies are ploughing their funds into Dubai because of the stable economy and also it is a very neutral place to reside.

Until about 9 months ago you could not buy property over here unless you were a local. Since then the laws have relaxed and it is a very good time to buy.

Take a look at the following link as it is for the major construction company over here who have been building some beautiful apartments and villas recently.

www.emaar.com/new/projects.html

Finally, don't worry that your wife won't like the life style as there is a hugh expat community and I am sure your wife will love it over here.

p.s. take a look at one of the previous links that I posted which will give you information on schools

I hope this is of some use to you
Old May 1st 2003, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

npark is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

Pete

Thanks for your reply. I have visited the Internet city site and Jebel Ali sites to get idea of office costs as I understand that I am not allowed to work from home. Have also contacted Dubai Chamber of Commerce for advice.

I have also visited the emaar site to see cost of apartments as the cost of housing may be out of budget in early days.

Last time I was in Dubai, about 3 months ago, I was staying at Hilton near Hard Rock Cafe so am familiar with most location sthat you mention.

Am hoping to do a visit on business in next couple of months to test the water on prospective business interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.