British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Living unmarried. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/living-unmarried-631776/)

Amnesia180 Sep 21st 2009 9:30 am

Living unmarried.

Hi all,

I've been reading through a thread today, which has made me think a little about living with someone who I'm not married too.

I.e: If I have my sister and her boyfriend over for a holiday, and they're caught living me, what are the rules for that?
If my girlfriend decides to come over for say 30 days (the length of her visa), again - serious consequences?

The reason I ask is because I've done a bit of research on the website and there seem to be some conflicting views. The general feedback I'm finding is that as long as you're respectful and discreet, you'll be fine. Other topics (from another forum that came up on a google search) said the police just entered their room and waited for them to arrive home together :blink:

I'm also assuming the rules are likely to be different in AD than Dubai (still unsure where I'll be living. They have offices at Dubai Investment Park and AD, so I'll probably live in Dubai and commute to AD if needed at that office).

On a side note - I mentioned I would be in the ME October 1st, there has been a delay and I'm due in January :(

Victor Meldrew Sep 21st 2009 10:04 am

Re: Living unmarried.

I know of many couples who are living together here.

As far as I'm aware, IF you get caught you are likely that both of you will be deported and possibly spend some time in jail prior to that.

You will then likely get a ban from visiting and/or working in the UAE (all of the Emirates, not just the one you were caught in)

All it takes is from someone to snitch on you and you're stuffed.

kittycat1 Sep 21st 2009 11:47 am

How does that go for house shares? I'm meant to be looking at a room in a house share where I would be the only girl- 3 guys- what would happen in this instance? We are all europeans.

Victor Meldrew Sep 21st 2009 12:06 pm

I have just checked with my other half who seems to think that would be OK, although if someone complains (neighbour/watchman/landlord) that could still create problems.

Amnesia180 Sep 21st 2009 3:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Victor.

Nice idea about the House Share, Kittycat! I'll also look into that for the short-term.

Cheers!

busybee2 Sep 21st 2009 3:48 pm

the rules are that you are not allowed to share a house with opp gender it should only be family etc, you can only share if allowed by landlord and is on contract etc, quite often it will say 1 person per room etc, or no more than 10 per house etc, but they should all be same sex. if allowed by landlord then you can get away with it.

Millhouse Sep 21st 2009 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 7950291)
How does that go for house shares? I'm meant to be looking at a room in a house share where I would be the only girl- 3 guys- what would happen in this instance? We are all europeans.

Don't do this.

Eva Sep 21st 2009 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7951068)
the rules are that you are not allowed to share a house with opp gender it should only be family etc, you can only share if allowed by landlord and is on contract etc, quite often it will say 1 person per room etc, or no more than 10 per house etc, but they should all be same sex. if allowed by landlord then you can get away with it.

What ?? if the Landlord is Mohammed P.B.U.H then maybe....BBee2 please re-read what you have written there.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 7951587)
Don't do this.

KittyC, I'm not often serious on here but I agree totally with the Emirati breadmaker......don't do it.

busybee2 Sep 21st 2009 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7951637)
[/B]

What ?? if the Landlord is Mohammed P.B.U.H then maybe....BBee2 please re-read what you have written there.

KittyC, I'm not often serious on here but I agree totally with the Emirati breadmaker......don't do it.

there are many landlords that allow companies to rent houses with clauses in contract saying no more than 10 or 1 per bedroom etc. these are for staff accommodation etc that is what i am meaning. contracts dont allow you to sublet etc but with landlords permission you can, also the same applies to sharing..... as long as with landlords permission.

Eva Sep 21st 2009 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7951683)
there are many landlords that allow companies to rent houses with clauses in contract saying no more than 10 or 1 per bedroom etc. these are for staff accommodation etc that is what i am meaning. contracts dont allow you to sublet etc but with landlords permission you can, also the same applies to sharing..... as long as with landlords permission.

I was referring more to the content of your post and the tenet of Sharia Law.....

busybee2 Sep 21st 2009 8:08 pm

that under sharia law you are only allowed to share if part of same family group. but there are companies/landlords that share. a big local airline allow 1 cabin crew member per bedroom. other companies put 10 people in a 7 bed house etc that is what i am referring to.

Eva Sep 21st 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7951720)
that under sharia law you are only allowed to share if part of same family group. but there are companies/landlords that share. a big local airline allow 1 cabin crew member per bedroom. other companies put 10 people in a 7 bed house etc that is what i am referring to.

Same sex cabin crew....?

busybee2 Sep 21st 2009 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7951732)
Same sex cabin crew....?

yeh all girlies.

Eva Sep 21st 2009 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7951740)
yeh all girlies.

We got there in the end didn't we?

busybee2 Sep 21st 2009 8:24 pm

yep multi tasking..... as i said same sex only not living together unmarried or anything like that.... not allowed under sharia law, people do it, but severe consequences if found out for whatever reason, car accident, prob with maid, liquor licence, loads of reasons etc. some people have their maids husbands living with them, well thats not allowed technically. only family members allowed under sharia law. clear as mud now?:D