living Tokyo

Old Oct 10th 2010, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

outtatouch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living Tokyo

not much info in the Far East section so thought I'd ask if anyone from here has lived in Tokyo. Currently in Dubai and have previously lived in Singapore.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living Tokyo

Originally Posted by outtatouch
not much info in the Far East section so thought I'd ask if anyone from here has lived in Tokyo. Currently in Dubai and have previously lived in Singapore.
Would imagine it is umpteen times better than living in the Middle East.

A good mate was teacher at Brit School of Tokyo in Shibuya for 5 yrs. I visited in 2002 (World Cup) and loved the place. Korea was good too.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:28 am
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Hi..I did two stints in Japan late early and late 90s. First stint single, second married and two young children. Tokyo is a great city especially if single. If you have the right package it will be great. The city has a great buzz to it and there is plenty to do socially. Great golf courses, an hour bullet train out of Tokyo and you are in another world. The expat community was rather tight knit and we had a blast. Go for it.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:46 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Closest I got to living in Tokyo was Yokohama, but its virtually a suburb anyway. Clean, safe, predictable, organised. Mad, up-tight, congested, inflexible. The politest people on earth till you put them behind a steering wheel. Get a decent housing allowance and some apartments are wonderful--otherwise you'll be in a shoebox. Understand your journey to work before you decide where you'll live, otherwise you'll be asking yourself why the entire population of Tokyo has decided to descend on your platform this morning. And yes, they do employ staff with white gloves to push passengers into already-full trains (subways carry 8% fewer people per train in the winter because of the thickness of winter clothing). Best food in the world, rudest taxi drivers, most efficient trains, stickiest summers, best 100-Yen shops, weirdest youths, prolific (and tacky) love hotels, sublimest hostesses, shakiest foundations.

Ganbatte!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:36 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I've never been to Tokyo but I did enjoy that "Lost In Translation" movie.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:32 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

I still have friends there..Need any other info let us know and I'll try and help out..good luck
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

thanks everyone for your insight. greatly appreciated.

heartofdarkness - if you could put me in touch with someone to chat about tokyo, please do. so many questions......
Old Oct 11th 2010, 2:52 pm
need a new teeshirt

out of touch..are you married or single? I'll try and get a you a contact with the right perspective!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

married - trailing spouse with a 14 year old daughter and 3 pugs/2 cats!
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:21 pm
need a new teeshirt

the pugs and cats are going to be tough..you may be restricted from the new condo complexes..houses should be ok..let me see what I can dig up
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:53 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Closest I got to living in Tokyo was Yokohama, but its virtually a suburb anyway. Clean, safe, predictable, organised. Mad, up-tight, congested, inflexible. The politest people on earth till you put them behind a steering wheel. Get a decent housing allowance and some apartments are wonderful--otherwise you'll be in a shoebox. Understand your journey to work before you decide where you'll live, otherwise you'll be asking yourself why the entire population of Tokyo has decided to descend on your platform this morning. And yes, they do employ staff with white gloves to push passengers into already-full trains (subways carry 8% fewer people per train in the winter because of the thickness of winter clothing). Best food in the world, rudest taxi drivers, most efficient trains, stickiest summers, best 100-Yen shops, weirdest youths, prolific (and tacky) love hotels, sublimest hostesses, shakiest foundations.

Ganbatte!
I agree with a lot of that, you can live your life on automatic pilot it's so predictable (both postive and negative). I've never found taxi drivers rude, they are always happy to accept taxi coupons/tickets even from the gaijin. You'd have to be very very unlucky to perish when the Big One eventually hits, your office and residence are likely to be 'earthquake friendly'. Especially concur about the food, trains & vile sticky summers.

Housing is key, pets can be kept on the sly as in our Koudan (UR) tower.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:46 pm
need a new teeshirt

outatouch you have a PM