Living in Riyadh

Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

arc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Riyadh

Hi, I have been offered a job in Riyadh, I am a family man with wife and two boys, aged 2 and 6. I need as much advice as possible in relation to going out first on my own and for how long before I can realistically find a place to live in a compound for the family. Another question; can the commute from Bahrain to Riyadh be done? Is it worth me going on for three/six months in the hope to find the right accomodation and compound? My offer is 40000SAR/month all inclusive. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 1:22 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Riyadh

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/The_Ul..._to_Saudi_Life

welcome to BE
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Arc1

I was working in Riyadh on a contract between 2010 and 2011. This was at an European bank. To take your queries in turn:

It is difficult to get a place on a good compound. Long waiting lists and compound managers who demand sweeteners to move you up the queue.
If your wife and kids accompany you - would strongly recommend asking your company to secure a place in a compound before bringing your family.

A single man can live in an apartment off compound; but a wife and kids would go crazy with boredom.

Bahrain to Riyadh commute - totally impossible. It is at least a 4 hour drive each way. Unless you can get a helicopter ride to work...

SAR 40k per month all in - this is decent. Could you give us an idea of what industry you are working in? This is a good salary for a western middle manager. However, school fees and rental for 2 bed houses in compounds are extortionate in Riyadh.

I don't have a precise idea about school fees but a 2 bed in a compound can easily be SAR 100k p/a.
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Hi Southlondoner,

Thanks for the reply, I am in the construction sector, project manager consultancy side.

How long do you think for a place in a compound for me and the family? Have you got any old contacts I could use to try and fast track something?

I have heard the compounds are very good. My wife is happy to relocate with me. I am however concerned about the length of time to secure accomodation, perhaps you are right I need to get this as part of the package or assistance at least!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:04 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Southlondoner
I don't have a precise idea about school fees but a 2 bed in a compound can easily be SAR 100k p/a.
Hope this helps.
I have two small kids in a Brittish school in Jeddah. I pay 40kSAR for Y1 and 27kSAR for YE (soon to be 40kSAR next year when he is in YR). This is top school, take 15% off the fees for next in line (Jeddah Prep). I assume it's same in Riyadh. Easily 200kSAR will go on school and accommodation, if you're ok with a 2 bed. Add another 100kSAR if you want a 3-bed villa (which you will struggle to get). It took me more than one year and some serious wasta to move from a 2-bed apt to 3-bed villa. I am moving in September into a 3-bed. And to get the 2-bed apt I got lucky after a month in the hotel. It is not guaranteed you will get even a 2-bed.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:14 pm
Banned

Desert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to beholdDesert Dubliner is a splendid one to behold

Arc1, nobody can tell you for sure how long until you settle. There is so many variables and this place is so unpredictable, anything can happen. For me it took 7 months to get a resident visa, 9 months until I was able to bring the family over (kids are 3.5 and 5) and more than one year to get a proper 3-bed villa. I count myself as lucky in relation to the school. Nobody would confirm a place until they interviewed our daughter. So at the end we decided to risk it and take her out of school for Easter break and bring them to Jeddah. Luckily the space as confirmed in the first week after we arrived but it could have gone either way as there are dozens of people on the waiting lists in the two schools we were targeting (there was no third choice, French or American schools were not a runner and other schools are below the level I would find acceptable).
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Desert Dubliner,

I thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Heres hoping Riyadh is an easier place to deal in? If you have any contacts in Riyadh perhaps you could PM me with some details?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by arc1
Hi Desert Dubliner,

I thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Heres hoping Riyadh is an easier place to deal in? If you have any contacts in Riyadh perhaps you could PM me with some details?

Thanks again.
Whether it will be easier depends on how organized and connected your company is what they are willing to do for you. Beyond that, there is no rules. What you need to check with them first is if they have a block visa for you. If not, and they offer to bring you in on business visit visa then you're looking forward to my scenario in terms of duration before you can bring the family over. Next they need to pull strings for accommodation. I know a couple of guys in Riyadh and will try to get some contacts. But don't expect much out of tenuous connections. You will need someone to really stick the neck out for you and that can only be your employer.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

You are right first port of call is the block visa and assistance with the accomodation, I would really appreciate the contacts also, thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Arc1

SAR 40k per month is a good package for car allowance, housing and salary.
However, I had no idea school fees in Saudi are so high as I have no kids.

SAR 200k for a 2 bed apartment on compound plus school fees will take a chunk out of your offer.

Is it feasible to ask your employer to pay the school fees? I reckon then you will be able to live well and still save loads in Riyadh.

Riyadh is much more dull and difficult to live in compared to Bahrain - so they should give you a premium. Or is this not realistic in today's dire economy?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 7:56 pm
Banned

A 2-bed in the compound should be around the ball-park of 120kSAR. He should be able to get by spending in the ball-park of 200kSAR for an apartment and school. However, that is 40% of his package. Another 10kSAR minimum per month are required for groceries, clothing, etc. Another 4kSAR for transport. Not much left for holidays, savings, etc out 40kSAR per month. 480kSAR per annum seems like a lot on paper but housing and schools are killing. We are talking about a family of four. Easily, they will spend the entire package or save very little. Is there a bonus on top?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I appreciate your response you are completely correct. I will be negotiating a little more when I have established all the facts and figures. But at the same time don't want to shot myself in the foot.

Thanks