British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Living off compound - Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/living-off-compound-riyadh-928874/)

Annasdxb Oct 27th 2019 10:51 pm

Living off compound - Riyadh

Hi there,

I'm Anna, am 33 and have been living in dubai for 6 years. I am about to move to Riyadh from Dubai with hubby, 18mo baby and our nanny :)

Was looking at all different options in terms of living and realised that living in a compound might not be possible for us though I would love to. I am the one who got an opportunity so we don't know when my husband will get a job there, hence we will have to live with one salary at the beginning. The later will, I believe, be very decent (more than what I get in Dubai) but my company is not providing house allowance.

Hence I was wondering if some of you were living off compound? Or do "affordable"/mid-range compounds exist? I was hoping to find something a bit similar to where we currently live in dubai as in something not luxurious but affordable with both western and Arab families. Ideally I would really like not to spend more than 85K per year for a 2 or 3 bed apartment or villa. I am really surprised because was told Riyadh was way cheaper than dubai but Holy Mary it's not!!!

I have to admit the only reason why I wanted to live in a compound is because I am really a sociable person and I feel like it is almost the only way to make friends in Saudi.

Thanks for your help!

Anna D.

HiHo Oct 30th 2019 5:05 am

Re: Living off compound - Riyadh

Hi Anna,

Take a look a the link below and remember these a published prices that the compound would like to attract. Of compound prices are very cheap. One guy in the office has just moved in to a 5 bed villa for 30k but he speaks Arabic. I know an other guy that rents a wing of a palace for pennies.

https://rightcompound.com/compounds?...90000&Keyword=

If your serious about going of reservation take a look a the below link

Listing | Century 21

nottmbantam Oct 30th 2019 6:00 am

Generally speaking, rents have reduced a little in Riyadh over the last few years.

85K SR should get you a very nice villa, in a nice part of town, quite spacious and with some luck, might even get you your own pool. Bear in mind, these villas will be very spacious on the inside, but will not have the largest of gardens. Saudis are very private people, and high walls are very common, with minimal garden space.
50k should get a very large 3/4 bed apartment.

Both of thse will be unfurnished and they literally mean nothing is provided. In most cases, these will not include the kitchen appliances either, and in worse case scenario, no AC units or kitchen cabinets. Semi Furnished is the AC units + kitchen appliances. Basically, you will get far more space for less money than you would on a compound.

You can get a two bed apartment - fully furnished on a couple of compounds that I know for around the 100k mark. I think they would take two equal payments, so might help spread the cost. These will be of course, smaller units, but then with all the amenities that a compound offers.
Good luck.

Desert Shaikh Oct 30th 2019 6:36 am

Most western expats I work with are now going off compound and it seems to be the general trend going forward. The need or appeal to be on a compound is eroding especially since Riyadh is now getting more relaxed in terms of social activities.

Also you get more bang for your buck where a fairly new 5 bedroom villa with a pool (with kitchen and air con fitted) would only set you back 80,000 Saudi Riyal a year.

Tip: When negotiating rental prices and terms, always get an Arabic speaking person who has been in Riyadh for a long time to do this for you. This will help you avoid paying high prices.

Annasdxb Oct 30th 2019 9:25 am

Hi,

Thanks for replying !

Yes of course they should go off-compound, the prices for renting something in a compound are so expensive. I would do the same!

But the thing is we don't know anyone in Riyadh. I assume the western expats you know have been there for at least 1 or 2 years, if not more. But I don't know anyone so that is why I was thinking of renting there.

Do you think it will be easy to make acquaintances even if we are off coumpound?

Annasdxb Oct 30th 2019 9:27 am

Hi all

Thanks for replying!

Hi,

Thanks for replying !

Yes I have started realising that living off compound costs much less money!

But the thing is we don't know anyone in Riyadh. I assume the western expats you guys are mentioning have been there for at least 1 or 2 years, if not more. But I don't know anyone so that is why I was thinking of renting something in a compound.

But do you think it will be easy to make acquaintances even if we are off coumpound?

HiHo Oct 31st 2019 6:41 am

Dear Anna,

If I were to define Dubai as a place where everybody wants to be your friend and put their hand in your pocket, you would know what I mean although you might be too polite to agree with me. If I were to be equally scathing of Riyadh, It was a place with no social seen and thus attracted or rather retained the socially inept, since they felt at home. My own presence proves as much, and that's only half a joke. Most people come to Riyadh to work and save money, many have suffered some financial upset which has driven them here and they forget to live life while financing it.

There are exceptions to the rule and Riyadh does have a shrinking expat social seen. My weekend for instance consists of a Halloween Party, the Sean Paul concert and a Beer and Bacon Butty fest to celebrate winning the world Cup. The only places to mainline party in Riyadh are compounds, royal palaces and embassy’s. Obviously if you don’t reciprocate the invites will dry up. There is an alternative underground seen in Riyadh but I'm a bit too clean living to offer anything more than to tell you its out there.

Sport is a good way to meet new people. Riyadh has Strong Rugby and Netball Teams but I guess if you didn’t already know that your not interested. There are lots of Hiking and Running clubs and a cycling club. There is a British Golf society and lots of other clubs have a look on the web. In addition to whatever sport floats your boat your going to need a Gym. Gym membership is expensive unless your on compound then it’s in with the price.

Annasdxb Oct 31st 2019 8:23 am

Originally Posted by HiHo (Post 12756850)
Dear Anna,

If I were to define Dubai as a place where everybody wants to be your friend and put their hand in your pocket, you would know what I mean although you might be too polite to agree with me. If I were to be equally scathing of Riyadh, It was a place with no social seen and thus attracted or rather retained the socially inept, since they felt at home. My own presence proves as much, and that's only half a joke. Most people come to Riyadh to work and save money, many have suffered some financial upset which has driven them here and they forget to live life while financing it.

There are exceptions to the rule and Riyadh does have a shrinking expat social seen. My weekend for instance consists of a Halloween Party, the Sean Paul concert and a Beer and Bacon Butty fest to celebrate winning the world Cup. The only places to mainline party in Riyadh are compounds, royal palaces and embassy’s. Obviously if you don’t reciprocate the invites will dry up. There is an alternative underground seen in Riyadh but I'm a bit too clean living to offer anything more than to tell you its out there.

Sport is a good way to meet new people. Riyadh has Strong Rugby and Netball Teams but I guess if you didn’t already know that your not interested. There are lots of Hiking and Running clubs and a cycling club. There is a British Golf society and lots of other clubs have a look on the web. In addition to whatever sport floats your boat your going to need a Gym. Gym membership is expensive unless your on compound then it’s in with the price.

Dear Hiho,

All right great it's good to know. I do like hiking so will try to look at those types of activities.

Regarding Dubai social's life, I am certainly polite but it does not refrain me from being honest :) I disagree with your point of view but maybe that was your own experience, which I respect, though it's a tad sad. But no, people didn't absolutely want to be my friend and none of them put their hands in my pocket! Actually I made true friends here over the past 6 years, the ones that help you when you are sick or just need support, the ones who help you finding a new job, etc. I even met my husband here! I would definitely have been friend with them even if I had met them back home. I am not necessarily looking at building the same type of relationships in Saudi, but would love to keep the same social life which is in my case not partying (I never really liked drinking) but organizing play dates for kids or diners at my place or my friend's place, meeting for brunch or lunch during the weekend, going to the movies after work etc etc. This is the type of life we are having with my husband here so hopefully I'll find simple people in Riyadh as I did meet in Dubai otherwise, we'll just stay the 4 of us!

Thanks again!

Anna

HiHo Nov 20th 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Annasdxb (Post 12756874)
Dear Hiho,

All right great it's good to know. I do like hiking so will try to look at those types of activities.

Regarding Dubai social's life, I am certainly polite but it does not refrain me from being honest :) I disagree with your point of view but maybe that was your own experience, which I respect, though it's a tad sad. But no, people didn't absolutely want to be my friend and none of them put their hands in my pocket! Actually I made true friends here over the past 6 years, the ones that help you when you are sick or just need support, the ones who help you finding a new job, etc. I even met my husband here! I would definitely have been friend with them even if I had met them back home. I am not necessarily looking at building the same type of relationships in Saudi, but would love to keep the same social life which is in my case not partying (I never really liked drinking) but organizing play dates for kids or diners at my place or my friend's place, meeting for brunch or lunch during the weekend, going to the movies after work etc etc. This is the type of life we are having with my husband here so hopefully I'll find simple people in Riyadh as I did meet in Dubai otherwise, we'll just stay the 4 of us!

Thanks again!

Anna

Dear Anna,
Wow, what a lot of info, I'm glad your time in Dubai was better than mine. With a view to ensuring you are equally happy in Riyadh please accept my recommendation of the best Brunch spot in town Urth cafe the main one on Tahlia street not the satellites on the DQ or KFFD. I hope you arrive before the season close.
BR, Dave