Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

living in dubai would i be earning enough

living in dubai would i be earning enough

Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:28 am
Just Joined

prenton01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in dubai would i be earning enough

if i got offered a job (i did last year but turned it down due to timing not being right so have re-applied)

the pay would be around £1400 a month tax free for first six months then £1800 per month

accom and bills are paid for

considering for up to two weeks of the month i might not spend a penny due to where i am working but then could have two weeks off in dubai

i know the wages arent the best but the company would give me the chance to become qaulified to the hilt within the trade and money would be better in years to come

but would would the first six months / couple of years be affordable to live in dubai with the cost of living ?
im not looking to go socializing everysingle night off just like to watch football and have a now and then without getting off my head

cheers
tony
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:07 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in dubai would i be earning enough

Hello,

I have no idea of what standard of living you are accustomed to, so here are some prices for you to work it out!

Going on your comment about a few beers I am going to assume you may be the consumer type (now this is a technical term used by profiling experts, I assume you may need to google for the layman's term) SINGLE EXPAT BLOKE.

Approx exchange rate 1 squid gets you 6.8 deerhams.

These are kind of maximum / high prices in Dubai - you will find cheaper if you want:

Pint of stella = 25dhs (cheaper in happy hours)
2 courses in a good curry place = 60 - 80 dhs (max! a lot cheaper available)
Roundtable home delivery pizza (the best!) = 30 dhs for more than enough for 1 person
Taxi from 1 end of the city to the far other side 50dhs. Most journeys a lot less, maybe 15 dhs.
Club entry - no more than 50dhs. (Free if you wear a dress, but be careful, this is a high risk strategy to save a couple of quid).
Packet of fags - 6dhs
Very cheap Friday brunch for breakfast and 5 pints = 60dhs
Bottle of water / can of coke - 1dhs
Full tank of petrol - 100dhs

These last 3 prices are control valves, usually not applied to the SINGLE EXPAT BLOKE profile, however for reference:

Very nice brunch with Bollinger and lobsters = 300dhs
Very swanky dinner in posh place like Traiteur = 1,000 dhs inc wine.
1 night in the Burj = approx 7,000 dhs (I think)

Anything else?

Cheers,

Auto
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:16 am
Just Joined

prenton01 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers auto

all good info there so i should be ok, though i am not actually single as i am married but the wife will not be coming over for at least 12 months due to work comitments ect but her wages should just cover bills and stuff for her based in uk

tony
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:45 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Check accom and what they provide for that - I'd guess you'd have your own room in a 2 or 3 bed apartment, also, wherever that is will have a bearing on your transport costs, ie, stay in Deira - work in internet city = 100Dhs/day+2 hours travel time. Don't even think about using a bus!!

In other words, you need to give us more info - although Auto is right on most things, if you're based in Golden Sands, then your nightlife costs may rise......