Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Living in Dubai and Working in Al Ain??

Living in Dubai and Working in Al Ain??

Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living in Dubai and Working in Al Ain??

Is this a possibility?

Our base must be in Dubai, so moving to Al Ain is out....

What is the drive like from Dubai (Arabian Ranches) to Al Ain like?

Any idea of how long (distance and time??)

Would you do it?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Dubai and Working in Al Ain??

Originally Posted by matthew.lewis2
Is this a possibility?

Would you do it?
I am going tomorrow so I will time it, just over an hour if I remember rightly from last time we were there. I would say it isn't possible to commute to be honest with you Matt. We are desperate for a job up there maybe we could swap!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a possibility?

Would you do it?
Personally, no but given that in UK work culture a 1hr+ commute is quite common, you might be prepared to live with it. You should be able to do Ranches to Al-Ain within 80 mins with clear traffic...

You'll get much better value for money renting in Al Ain - why be so heart-set on living in Dubai???
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

matthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond reputematthew.lewis2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Personally, no but given that in UK work culture a 1hr+ commute is quite common, you might be prepared to live with it. You should be able to do Ranches to Al-Ain within 80 mins with clear traffic...

You'll get much better value for money renting in Al Ain - why be so heart-set on living in Dubai???

Thanks for the info. My wifes work commitments are the reason to stay in DXB. If I choose to work in Al Ain then I must put up with the commute, moving location and then making her drive an hour extra each day is not fair.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info. My wifes work commitments are the reason to stay in DXB. If I choose to work in Al Ain then I must put up with the commute, moving location and then making her drive an hour extra each day is not fair.

what line of work are you in??
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
what line of work are you in??

Construction (QS)
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

I am going tomorrow so I will time it, just over an hour if I remember rightly from last time we were there. I would say it isn't possible to commute to be honest with you Matt. We are desperate for a job up there maybe we could swap!

Can you sit at 140-160 like I would be doing please to get an idea of the time
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:00 am
Concierge

Construction (QS)
oh, was just seeing if you could get my DH a job but we are of an engineering background and not a civil one.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:01 am
Concierge

Can you sit at 140-160 like I would be doing please to get an idea of the time
impossible, I have never in my life seen so many speed cameras. I will do it tomorrow, I will set the clock thing to 0 and check and see exactly how many kms it is from the Ranches roundabout.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

impossible, I have never in my life seen so many speed cameras. I will do it tomorrow, I will set the clock thing to 0 and check and see exactly how many kms it is from the Ranches roundabout.
Are the cameras on the journey set to 140 like here in dubai or 160 like in AUH?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:07 am
Concierge

Are the cameras on the journey set to 140 like here in dubai or 160 like in AUH?
can't remember 120 I think??? I will write it all down and let you know when I get back on Saturday.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

it changes when you cross the border from dxb to auh. the border ain't marked, but you know you're in auh when the gas stations become adnoc ones...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:18 am
Concierge

it changes when you cross the border from dxb to auh. the border ain't marked, but you know you're in auh when the gas stations become adnoc ones...
right so then I can do 160?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

right so then I can do 160?
159 kph would be safer - they're set to trigger at 160...
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:21 am
Concierge

159 kph would be safer - they're set to trigger at 160...
ok I will program my cruise control, right I might get there a bit quicker this time then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.