Living in Dubai

Old Jul 20th 2003, 9:10 am
Just Joined

pandadennis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Living in Dubai

I have recently come over to Dubai on secondment for 3 months, There is only myself and one other person in the office and he has recently gone on vacation. I am currently finding it a bit lonely out here, please can anyone tell me where a 23 year old English girl can go to make friends?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 5:34 am
Just Joined

george8149 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Dubai

Originally posted by pandadennis
I have recently come over to Dubai on secondment for 3 months, There is only myself and one other person in the office and he has recently gone on vacation. I am currently finding it a bit lonely out here, please can anyone tell me where a 23 year old English girl can go to make friends?
i have just moved over in the last 3 weeks 37 male from scotland fancy a drink
Old Aug 20th 2003, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

ayaan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am a 29-year-old British girl, I will be in Dubai at the beginning of September for a month.

If you are still in Dubai and fancy a night out let me know.

I have heard there are nice pubs and clubs in Dubai, I can't wait to sample them avoiding the "meat markets":scared:

It will be nice to make new friends and escape lonely evenings in front of the tele!!!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

reaper27 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey what's everyone,

I too will be moving to Dubai, I am a 22 year old male, Yank, looking to hang out while in Dubai. Look forward to your respones.

Regards,

Bill
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Hey

I will still be in Dubai in September and yeah lets go out.

When are you both getting here?
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

reaper27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

what's up,

I am getting to Dubai around the 14th so drop me a private message or leave your email and I will email you. Lets all go out and get a drink.

Regards,

Bill
Old Aug 24th 2003, 10:29 am
Just Joined

ayaan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pandadennis
Hey

I will still be in Dubai in September and yeah lets go out.

When are you both getting here?

Hi,

Great.. I will be there on the 4th, fancy meeting up on friday the 5th??

If so drop me a PM or email me, by the way I have already sent you an email have you got it?

Cheers
Old Sep 1st 2003, 11:46 am
Just Joined

beckyd100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Dubai as a single woman

Hey,

I'm thinking of moving to Dubai and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like to be a single woman out there? I'm in my mid-20s and from what I read I get the impression that it's quite a family orientated place. Is there still lots to do and is it easy to meet people?

Also, if anyone can point me in the right direction to look for a job in finance out there that'd be great.

Cheers,

Becca
Old Sep 3rd 2003, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Well I have been living here for 2 and a half months now. Its a very nice place to live and you will feel very safe here. It is interesting thought that they have a big Prostitute problem here, so when standing at the side of the road you may notice cars pulling over but just ignore them, I do and don't feel in the slightest bit unsafe, its quite funny really. You also have to be careful a few of the bars seem to be hang outs for prostitutes.

There are plenty of good bars here I personally like Sevilles at the Wafi centre as it has a nice garden to sit in. Also there is a bar called Carter's. If you like somewhere very lively the Irish village is very good.

The shopping here excellent, food wise being a vegetarian there is a good selection at Spinneys supermarket. For clothes and other things I like the City Centre Mall in Diera it has a wide selection of western shops like OAsis etc. It also has a carrefour and a Ikea which are both good. I am told that Lamcy's is a cheaper place to shop for clothes etc.

I find most things here are a little cheaper than at home but the Western shops tend to be about the same prices.

The heat here is incredible, at the moment it is 42 degrees and 95% humidity, I am told that it is starting to cool down but the humidity is staying the same.

Most of the beaches here are private but most of the hotels offer a reasonable deal for using their facilities.

Eating out is reasonable here and the alcohol isn't as expensive as I imagined.

I hope this helps, let me know if there is anything else you want to know

Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:01 pm
dubaiexpats

Default New discussion/social group for English speakers living in or moving to Dubai

Discussion group for English speakers moving to or living in Dubai, UAE - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dubai-expats/

Free to join - we have similar groups in Scandinavia and they have proved to be mega popular with people helping each other with info and eventually organising social events for up to 60 people. Now some of us are moving to Dubai and want to keep on being well informed and having fun!

Members can:
- access information about social functions
- visit the chat room
- find and add information about living in Dubai (under bookmarks)
- take part in our polls
- upload your photos - members, places in Dubai, etc
- add events to the calendar.

New members welcome!

Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

sairaaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: New discussion/social group for English speakers living in or moving to Dubai

Hi Pandadennis,

Thanks for your tips. I am a british girl moving over to dubai next week. Your comments are a great help!!

I am a little less apprehensive now. Still have the stomach butterflies though.

It's nice to know it's safe to go out as a single girl.

Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

sairaaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: New discussion/social group for English speakers living in or moving to Dubai

Hi Pandadennis,

Thanks for your tips. I am a british girl moving over to dubai next week. Your comments are a great help!!

I am a little less apprehensive now. Still have the stomach butterflies though.

It's nice to know it's safe to go out as a single girl.

Old Oct 13th 2003, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Gnat is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Living in Dubai

I too am thinking of moving to Dubai. I have been hearing stories about 6 day work weeks from 8am - 6pm and very formal business environments. Is this true? Do you have time for a life outside of work? How many weeks of holiday do you get per year? I don't mean to sound like some lazy lay-about, but I'm just wondering.
Also, is it normal for companies to offer accommodation and car in your package?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 1:47 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

The Emirates and many of the countries surrounding it, work on a 6 day split shift day system. This is mainly in the trading sector as historically no-one had air conditioning and would work early in the morning, take a break between 1pm and 4pm to escape the worst of the heat, then go back to work until 8pm.
Fortunately many companies have wised up to the fact that this is an antiquated and unconstructive way to run a company so have adopted 'western' working hours. Some companies, such as the one I worked for, were open 6 days a week, but we only worked 5 days, Basically some staff didn't work on Saturday, but did work on Saturday whereas those who worked on Thursday took saturday off. Bear in mind that the average weekend in Dubai is Thursday/Friday as Friday is the Muslim Sunday.
Dubai is a city where you make of it what you want of it. If you are into eating out well and going to good pubs where you can mix it up with the rich and influential you can. You can also join amateur dramatics, go kite boarding, camp in the desert, mountain bike, do macrame, take part in yoga classes....whatever. Most people just go there and get fat because the food is so good though!
I strongly recommend trying Dubai, it is like a western city in many ways, but you must always remember you are in a Muslim city. Cost-wise Dubai can be expensive, but if you look around it can also be very cheap. The local food is very fresh and very cheap, buy your booze from the Barracuda, your car from Al Aweer and your groceries from Lamcy. Steer clear of Spinneys, 4x4 Motors and anywhere else which is cashing in on westerners.
Enjoy it, I did for 3 years and still miss it.