British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Living Allowance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/living-allowance-809390/)

starsky_ Sep 16th 2013 11:18 am

Living Allowance

I've been tipped off about a job which has a salary of 12000 QR per month and a 'living allowance' of 11000 QR. My question is: what does 'living allowance' generally include? Is it normally just accomodation or does it also include transportation? Also, what's the normal cost of a nice 1-2 bedroom apartment or building in a complex?

britexpat76 Sep 16th 2013 12:41 pm

Re: Living Allowance

Thats what you call QR23,000 all in. You can rent in the shitbox Ezdan for 5k a month in a 1 bed or a nice 2 bed 7/8k upwards in a few different areas.

starsky_ Sep 16th 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks britexpat76 - sounds like that would include a car allowance? I'm a single chap, so I wouldn't mind sharing with another expat to reduce costs and for company. Is this the 'done thing' out there and, if so, what's the best way to go about finding one?

britexpat76 Sep 16th 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by starsky_ (Post 10903041)
Thanks britexpat76 - sounds like that would include a car allowance? I'm a single chap, so I wouldn't mind sharing with another expat to reduce costs and for company. Is this the 'done thing' out there and, if so, what's the best way to go about finding one?

A room to rent in a shared Villa is about 5k a month you will find rooms on www.dubizzle.com or when you get here. Most employers will put you up for a month gratis which will give you time. Probably better to rent a 2k car initially and if after 3/6 months are going to stay buy one as its a way of saving some money or having an asset when you leave.

starsky_ Sep 16th 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks - very helpful.

starsky_ Sep 19th 2013 8:21 am

A few further questions:

1. Is the 'living allowance' paid just like salary is or do you have to 'claim it back' somehow?

2. What's a typical annual leave allowance and is there any real operational difference to them being work days or calaendar days? If I've got, say, 30 calendar days, can I not just book out 6 x 5 day working weeks?

mikewot Sep 19th 2013 8:30 am

I'm guessing this is like UAE where the employer has to pay you a certain percentage of your basic wage when you depart. Many employers minimise their liability by having a basic wage, which it's payable on, and a living allowance or special allowance which it's not payable on.

britexpat76 Sep 19th 2013 8:32 am

Originally Posted by starsky_ (Post 10907862)
A few further questions:

1. Is the 'living allowance' paid just like salary is or do you have to 'claim it back' somehow?

2. What's a typical annual leave allowance and is there any real operational difference to them being work days or calaendar days? If I've got, say, 30 calendar days, can I not just book out 6 x 5 day working weeks?

1, It is paid with your salary but owing to the fact when you leave your employment they have to pay you roughly 1 months salary for every year worked the fact you are paid a salary of 12,000pm and a living allowance of 12,000pm means you only recieve the payment on 12,000 of your 24,000 earnings.............If that makes sence

2, Clarify that with the employer it could mean anything.

Fossildog Sep 20th 2013 3:56 am

Originally Posted by starsky_ (Post 10907862)
A few further questions:

You need to get your leave clarified. Some employers count the days off between checking into work so if you took a Sunday to Thursday as leave (planning on rejoining on the Sunday) they would also count the weekend as annual leave as well, even though they are not classed as working days!