Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Living in Al Ain - explanation of compounds

Living in Al Ain - explanation of compounds

Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:05 pm
cant make up my mind

LynR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Al Ain - explanation of compounds

Hello - me again - can anyone tell me what the different options of accomodation available as the terminology is rather confusing when talking about compounds, villas etc. Also is there anywhere one can view photos of different types of accomodation? Thanks for your help.

Lyn
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all
Default Re: Living in Al Ain - explanation of compounds

Hi Lyn, I think I know you with a different alias on a different forum!!
As the Al Ain lot aren't replying (come on people, what are you waiting for?) I will tell you what I know, even though I don't live there.
Most houses are called villas. Flats are called apartments. A group of villas with a watchman 'guarding' the entrance, probably sharing a pool and maybe some other facilities is called a compound.
Every type of accommodation tends to be very large here compared to the UK. Apartments have the usual negative points of having to use lifts etc. Compounds are nice as in you have some facilities and it's often easier to get to know your neighbours but they can be a bit cut off from the 'real world', unlike a normal villa.
Not sure about viewing photos, sorry.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 8:38 am
cant make up my mind

LynR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain - explanation of compounds

Well hello there -fancy seeing you here Thanks ever so much for your response - it is much clearer now - it is really difficult trying to find out the different types of accomodation and at least now I understand the different terminology. Thanks again - have a great day and hope to keep in touch.
Lyn