Living in Al Ain

Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Hi Ollie, I would suggest you contact the school direct and ask them about the cost of living etc as everyone is different.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ollie 84
Can anyone tell me if 7,000 Dirmhas is enough to live off a month? They are providing accommodation for me.
No! I also hope you have researched the working conditions in this school? If not, you better read the feedback on this forum:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewfo...b2c7908351e72d

Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Ollie 84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I decided not to take the job as I got offered a Masters Course at Uni. However I think I may still apply next year. Aye I read that thread too. Doesn't seem too bad, heavily structured though.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

Hello there
I have been following this thread. I am currently living in Vanuatu in the South Pacific where my husband and I have been volunteers for Australian Volunteers International. My husband has accepted a job in Al Ain and we will be there from mid August. I am looking forward to this next step in our lives overseas. We are a couple in our 50's just retired from the ratrace to become volunteers initially and then explore the world through work. I am looking forward to meeting people there. Is there actually a meeting place where people get together of an afternoon after work to meet and get to know each other?
Old Jul 21st 2007, 5:32 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

hiya Larnie and her hubbie are already in Al Ain, Amazing Grace is moving out there soon but her husband is already there too. I am going up there this weekend. Not sure about clubs and organisations that are set up but I am hoping Grace will start one on my behalf.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

H'lo again, thanks for your reply. While I am in Vanuatu I only have dial up internet - so I may be a bit slow with answering until I hit home in Australia where I have better access. I note Larnie mentioning a gym - I am looking forward to joining one also. I love the labrador Larnie - we have one in Aus, currently being looked after by our children - they could be sisters from your photo!
I guess we are getting pretty excited about our move and there is so much to be done closing down one house in Vanuatu, making adjustments at home in Aus and heading out again within 10 days of getting there! I think we will be exhausted by the time we arrive. We spend some inductin/orientation time in Abu Dhabi first before heading out your way.
Looking forward to meeting you all

Last edited by Aussieoverseas; Jul 21st 2007 at 7:16 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:03 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been here 7 weeks now. The heat has curbed much exploration of the place but we knew that before we came so we just do what we can until the weather allows. I did quite a lot of internet research when I first came looking for expat meet ups but the only thing I could find was for Mothers and Babies. Also I notice that the Al Ain section of expatwoman has disappeared. As I don't work and I don't have small children here it is even more difficult to meet people other that your husband's collegues. I was lucky enough to meet a British woman at the Jimi Mall one day and we now meet for coffee and a chat once a week. Also we met up with Amazing Grace's husband who is also here. The only meeting places I know of for expats are the bars in the pubs. Paco's at the Hilton and Horse and Jockey at the Intercon. We watched the NZ v Australia game on Saturday at H&J which was packed with young Aussie and Kiwi families. The lab is my Larni who was my best friend for 14 years. She passed away in January 2006. Nice to meet another dog lover.
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Larnie (and all), I also tried the expatwoman connection, I sent an email but have had no reply.
Where are you from and have you been in this situation before? I only have my experience in Vanuatu to draw from and we have a number of great friendships that have grown out of it, some that will be continuing and some we will probably move on from, but that is the way of it.
I thought I might try for a part time job or take up an interest of some sort if people were hard to meet. I am discovering I have an interest (and a little bit of talent) in drawing and painting that I would like to develop. I have tried to research opportunities for art classes or courses but have not had much success. I guess that is the sort of thing I will have to wait to get there to explore. If anyone knows of somewhere I can contact when I get to Al Ain please let me know.
So sorry to hear about your lab, Larnie. Our Tess is nearly 10 years old and we miss her but know she is well cared for at home. Sadly we will probably not live with her again as our plans are to continue to travel and work.
I am looking forward to the move. There are also others that will be part of the project my husband will be working on, about 6 people I believe, so maybe we can start a small community of interested (and interesting) people as time goes by.
Sounds like I will need my Sunnies
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by larnie
We have been here 7 weeks now. The heat has curbed much exploration of the place but we knew that before we came so we just do what we can until the weather allows. I did quite a lot of internet research when I first came looking for expat meet ups but the only thing I could find was for Mothers and Babies. Also I notice that the Al Ain section of expatwoman has disappeared. As I don't work and I don't have small children here it is even more difficult to meet people other that your husband's collegues. I was lucky enough to meet a British woman at the Jimi Mall one day and we now meet for coffee and a chat once a week. Also we met up with Amazing Grace's husband who is also here. The only meeting places I know of for expats are the bars in the pubs. Paco's at the Hilton and Horse and Jockey at the Intercon. We watched the NZ v Australia game on Saturday at H&J which was packed with young Aussie and Kiwi families. The lab is my Larni who was my best friend for 14 years. She passed away in January 2006. Nice to meet another dog lover.
Hello again Larnie - I have read back through the thread and note that you lived in NZ. I lived in Auckland for a few years, Devonport (1973-1977) - both my boys are kiwis! I really suffer when the All Blacks beat the Wallabies! They are now independent and living in Australia but they still love to rib me over the footy...and the G&T and chardonnay.......could we have met in a previous life???? I think I like the sound of this community in Al Ain - it gets better the more I read about it!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I am off to Al Ain in the morning
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

I am extremely very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very jealous
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
I am extremely very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very jealous
don't worry I will give your hubby a nice big you better pm the number again I think I might have deleted it !!!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wonder why Not why you deleted the number.

Last edited by Amazing Grace; Jul 24th 2007 at 3:24 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
I wonder why Not why you deleted the number.
a big hug from you ! I gave the number to Atilla and hence it got lost!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its good we ladies are well organised our our social lives would be non existant. Are you all going up or just you and Little Miss, have a lovely time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.