Living in Al Ain

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

buddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nicebuddymom is just really nice
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Sassy, I must disagree, the "Good Samaratin" law is NOT in effect in the UAE. It may be proposed, but, as of today, anyone who renders help to an accident victim, in any case, is held liable.

This comes from Abu Dhabi police, and Sheik Zayed Military Camp Personel.
Local and Expats. You will get in a lot of trouble, if you interfere in an accident or other serious bodily harm injury. Perhaps even if you report it.

You may be held liable or have to pay "blood money" to the injured party. That is the way it works here in Al Ain.

It takes a while to get with "the program" here. I suggest you stop trying to change the unchangeable, and focus more on getting to know and accept the local culture
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

minetoo is an unknown quantity at this point

"I did meet with Dr Oliver Harrison, head of HAAD yesterday and learned that there is now a law passed that is the same as the " Good Samaritan" law in the US... if someone needs medical help you can provide help (so long as there is no intent to create more harm or injury) to them without consequences of being sued or going to jail. "

There is absolutely NO way on this earth I would ever stop and help at an accident. I am agreeing with BM on this one. I would really like to see some documentation on this new law.

I hate to be negative on this but I really think you are going to be banging your head on the wall with this one. I wonder how you can even propose to be begin to change a system that does not have basic recognized street names or numbers. Even if the police, ambulance drivers, teachers, etc are all trained in pre hospital care; how in the world are you going to direct them to your location? AND this is not even taking into account the language difficulties.

We discussed the statistics and how biased and incorrect they have been and also how the whole " inshallah" response to treating a patient rather than letting him/her die is gone!

What does this mean? What statistics? What do you mean that the "whole inshallah response" is gone?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by minetoo
"I did meet with Dr Oliver Harrison, head of HAAD yesterday and learned that there is now a law passed that is the same as the " Good Samaritan" law in the US... if someone needs medical help you can provide help (so long as there is no intent to create more harm or injury) to them without consequences of being sued or going to jail. "

There is absolutely NO way on this earth I would ever stop and help at an accident. I am agreeing with BM on this one. I would really like to see some documentation on this new law.

I hate to be negative on this but I really think you are going to be banging your head on the wall with this one. I wonder how you can even propose to be begin to change a system that does not have basic recognized street names or numbers. Even if the police, ambulance drivers, teachers, etc are all trained in pre hospital care; how in the world are you going to direct them to your location? AND this is not even taking into account the language difficulties.

We discussed the statistics and how biased and incorrect they have been and also how the whole " inshallah" response to treating a patient rather than letting him/her die is gone!

What does this mean? What statistics? What do you mean that the "whole inshallah response" is gone?
Originally Posted by buddymom
Sassy, I must disagree, the "Good Samaratin" law is NOT in effect in the UAE. It may be proposed, but, as of today, anyone who renders help to an accident victim, in any case, is held liable.

Local and Expats. You will get in a lot of trouble, if you interfere in an accident or other serious bodily harm injury. Perhaps even if you report it.

You may be held liable or have to pay "blood money" to the injured party. That is the way it works here in Al Ain.

It takes a while to get with "the program" here. I suggest you stop trying to change the unchangeable, and focus more on getting to know and accept the local culture
I am merely stating what Dr Harrison told me yesterday and that the law has been passed. When it will go into effect? I will try and find out. I am not one to sit around and not try to help something that needs help. That IS getting with the program. Hence my passion for patient care and being a Paramedic. I don't think everyone should pull over and help. Most wouldn't know what to do, but there are alot that do. I am not attempting to change anyones culture or religious beliefs however the culture here in Al Ain has changed. It changed when thousands of expats were allowed to come here and build and grow Al Ain into a diverse city full of different cultures. Are you saying that we should also dress the same way too ? Are we not allowed to eat pork as well ? The reason I am passionate about this is because so many lives can be changed with intervention prior to hospital arrival. People dont have to die anymore because they have had a heart attack. The introduction of systems or standard operating procedures where multiple hospitals and healthcare providers work together is not without problems, and some are not concerned directly with providing care.
Everyone who tries to set up a system understands there will be a level of politics in place. You can either change it or work with it,' Although ultimately for a protocol to be introduced you 'have to have the ability of government to pass law to set up a system.
In the Middle East the ability of governments to introduce laws and practices that can benefit the country is strong, but differences of opinion will always exist between individuals involved about the best way to proceed.
'But it raises the question, what is an acceptable level of care? No child should die from respiratory failure due to an upper or lower airway obstruction. Airway Management is crucial and works even when they go into decompensated shock. Ambulances are called for various reasons and as residents of Al Ain, we're entitled to the maximum provided health care that can be achieved. It is patient choice to determine their health care choices but if I call for an ambulance and its equipped with a paramedic and I need emergency care, then that is what I should get! There is no infrastructure on the emergency system at this time i agree whole heartedly with you girls.. but with the increased population, growth and development there needs to be. Nope.. i'm not the answer for that nor am I trying to be. I am only saying that there should be an improvement in pre hospital care and thanks to the Health Authority, Ministry of Health and other organizations they are allowing private sector to come in and educate and train these persons responsible for health care and emergency management. There is no law that states you HAVE to consent to certain medical care based on your beliefs,but there should be the opportunity for it if you do. It is just frustrating ladies to see what is needed so badly for a community that is more than just nationals now. Sorry this was so long winded.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:32 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buddymom

I agree 100%.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

manwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nice

Originally Posted by sassypilotswife
I am merely stating what Dr Harrison told me yesterday and that the law has been passed. When it will go into effect? I will try and find out. I am not one to sit around and not try to help something that needs help. That IS getting with the program. Hence my passion for patient care and being a Paramedic. I don't think everyone should pull over and help. Most wouldn't know what to do, but there are alot that do. I am not attempting to change anyones culture or religious beliefs however the culture here in Al Ain has changed. It changed when thousands of expats were allowed to come here and build and grow Al Ain into a diverse city full of different cultures. Are you saying that we should also dress the same way too ? Are we not allowed to eat pork as well ? The reason I am passionate about this is because so many lives can be changed with intervention prior to hospital arrival. People dont have to die anymore because they have had a heart attack. The introduction of systems or standard operating procedures where multiple hospitals and healthcare providers work together is not without problems, and some are not concerned directly with providing care.
Everyone who tries to set up a system understands there will be a level of politics in place. You can either change it or work with it,' Although ultimately for a protocol to be introduced you 'have to have the ability of government to pass law to set up a system.
In the Middle East the ability of governments to introduce laws and practices that can benefit the country is strong, but differences of opinion will always exist between individuals involved about the best way to proceed.
'But it raises the question, what is an acceptable level of care? No child should die from respiratory failure due to an upper or lower airway obstruction. Airway Management is crucial and works even when they go into decompensated shock. Ambulances are called for various reasons and as residents of Al Ain, we're entitled to the maximum provided health care that can be achieved. It is patient choice to determine their health care choices but if I call for an ambulance and its equipped with a paramedic and I need emergency care, then that is what I should get! There is no infrastructure on the emergency system at this time i agree whole heartedly with you girls.. but with the increased population, growth and development there needs to be. Nope.. i'm not the answer for that nor am I trying to be. I am only saying that there should be an improvement in pre hospital care and thanks to the Health Authority, Ministry of Health and other organizations they are allowing private sector to come in and educate and train these persons responsible for health care and emergency management. There is no law that states you HAVE to consent to certain medical care based on your beliefs,but there should be the opportunity for it if you do. It is just frustrating ladies to see what is needed so badly for a community that is more than just nationals now. Sorry this was so long winded.

the ox is slow, but the earth is patient. All in it's time.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Sassy, I have just read your posts which you obviously feel very passionate about. Can I ask if you have ever worked or lived in the Middle East before.

I worked in a military hospital in Saudi Arabia and one of my tasks there was to take new staff in part of the orientation programme. This included doctors, nurses, admin, engineering, in fact the whole spectrum of hospital staff and from all nationalities, religions and culture. One of the main topics I spoke about with them was the passion we all feel when newly arrived and seeing "the state of affairs" and our wanting to change it all overnight. It just wont happen, my advice to them and to you is yes be passionate but chip away at it slowly and quietly, it will happen, maybe not in your time here but it will be continued by others. My husband is part of the team working in Al Ain Hospital chipping away to make it better and as I said previously it is starting to show.

I totally agree with the others about stopping at the scene of a traffic accident, this happened to some friends of mine on their way to AD. I was horrified when they told me as they are here working and living overseas for the first time too. The fact that they could have been held partly responsible but also the fact that they could have been side swiped by red neckers catching a glimpse of the accident.

Take care
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Pisces Dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome aaziz.. i dont see many 2 to 3 bed villas around so i honestly can't help you there. You may call a couple of brokers i am using right now to find a new villa. Most 2 to 3 bedroom are flats here. There are some apartments across the street from my villa in Falaj Hazzaa, a nurse friend of mine lives there and she told us last month there were openings. They might be in your price range. Feel free to PM me your phone number
Melanie

Hi guys,

I have been in Al Ain for almost a month now and I joined this forum today. I know it's an old subject but I am still stuck with trying to find accomodation in Al Ain. I have tried the brokers mentioned a few months back but half of them don't answer, is there anyone you can reccomend to me?
I am looking for a 2 bed apartment for 70-75K in Al Ain?
Any estate agent tel numbers would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bumping this up for the new people looking for rental agents. I have heard that there are very many properties available in Al Ain currently. Best of luck.

Originally Posted by someone in al ain
These all the numbers i know for people who are able to find houses for people.

There are agents and hope they can help you

1- 0507537844 Ebrahim
2- 0503862411 Abdollah
3- 0505435535 mohammed
4- 0503304210 Yaser
5- 0508321516 Ali
6- 0503336027 no name
7- 050693055 sudanese guy but forgot his name
8- 0503333630 forgot his name too
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pisces Dreamer
Hi guys,

I have been in Al Ain for almost a month now and I joined this forum today. I know it's an old subject but I am still stuck with trying to find accomodation in Al Ain. I have tried the brokers mentioned a few months back but half of them don't answer, is there anyone you can reccomend to me?
I am looking for a 2 bed apartment for 70-75K in Al Ain?
Any estate agent tel numbers would be much appreciated. Thanks
Pisces, Call Khalid, he is absolutely wonderful. We have been working with him for almost a week and he is the kindest, respectable guy out of all the brokers we have met. We have met 2 others who are ok but Khalid is great. His number is 0504478445. he gets his commission from the owner too, if that helps Tell him Melanie and Mike sent you. We just returned from spending all afternoon with him not only looking at villas but we were even invited to his beautiful villa ( wow...absolutely beautiful) for tea. He is retired 28 year UAE Army and now working as a broker. Very honest and he will tell you everything and he doesn't promise a place to be ready if its not, he doesn't give you false hope etc. If he doesn't answer, he will call you back. Please let me know how it goes
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

my advice to them and to you is yes be passionate but chip away at it slowly and quietly, it will happen, maybe not in your time here but it will be continued by others. My husband is part of the team working in Al Ain Hospital chipping away to make it better and as I said previously it is starting to show.

Grace, that is the best advice and news i could hear. Thank you. whispering "today was a very good day and knowing that R is having results at the hospital is great. I did follow up on the trauma unit. I found out very good information that was inspiring.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:54 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

I am looking for someone to clean my house once or twice a week. Does anyone know of an individual that is looking for more work. I would love to get someone as soon as possible. PM me if you know of anyone.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Shah Shah A Go Go is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question - can anyone tell me if you can legally access Facebook in Al Ain?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Yes, you can. It has never been blocked for me.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:50 am
Just Joined

Pisces Dreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Pisces, Call Khalid, he is absolutely wonderful. We have been working with him for almost a week and he is the kindest, respectable guy out of all the brokers we have met. We have met 2 others who are ok but Khalid is great. His number is 0504478445. he gets his commission from the owner too, if that helps Tell him Melanie and Mike sent you. We just returned from spending all afternoon with him not only looking at villas but we were even invited to his beautiful villa ( wow...absolutely beautiful) for tea. He is retired 28 year UAE Army and now working as a broker. Very honest and he will tell you everything and he doesn't promise a place to be ready if its not, he doesn't give you false hope etc. If he doesn't answer, he will call you back. Please let me know how it goes
Wow.. Thanks Melanie. Will give him a call today. I'll let you know how it goes.
:-)
Old Feb 5th 2009, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
I am looking for someone to clean my house once or twice a week. Does anyone know of an individual that is looking for more work. I would love to get someone as soon as possible. PM me if you know of anyone.
Put a notice up in Abela might yield something or best way probably is word of mouth, dont think you will find one on here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.