British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Living in Al Ain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/living-al-ain-457411/)

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 1:40 pm

Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by larnie (Post 5003144)
Does the Hilton have a gym

yes, I didn't see it but it definately has one. There is a really nice Italian Restaurant in there and we were surprised at how cheap everything was. Look it up on the hilton.com site. There is a pool bar cafe that was good as well. let me know how you get on!

Amazing Grace Jul 3rd 2007 2:58 pm

My husband is staying in a poolside villa and says it is quite nice. He went to Al Jimi Mall last night and got lost on the way back and came across some extremely large villas with huge iron gates. When we worked in Kuala Lumpur I collected lots of blue and white chinese porcelain so I asked him if it would all fit in one of those villas. He said i would need a container full for one of those villas so maybe that is a bit too big for us as I hope to ship it all out from UK when I come.:thumbup:

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace (Post 5003583)
My husband is staying in a poolside villa and says it is quite nice. He went to Al Jimi Mall last night and got lost on the way back and came across some extremely large villas with huge iron gates. When we worked in Kuala Lumpur I collected lots of blue and white chinese porcelain so I asked him if it would all fit in one of those villas. He said i would need a container full for one of those villas so maybe that is a bit too big for us as I hope to ship it all out from UK when I come.:thumbup:

I would wait til you get there, maybe meet up with Larnie and then find a few decent agents to show you around. I get the impression that the stuff near the Hilton area of town is the good area, seems to be a better standard but I am no expert. When you coming??

Amazing Grace Jul 3rd 2007 4:56 pm

I will have to get in touch with Larnie, she will be more used to the area than me. Not sure exactly when I will be coming over but it could some time in September. I hope you will keep in touch as well though and any info is greatly received:wub:

Amazing Grace Jul 3rd 2007 5:05 pm

Hi Larnie, just been re-reading some of the posts and noticed you said you had got an apartment in AA. Do the apartments there come with all the amenities eg pool, gym etc. I hope you are settling in well, I am looking forward to coming over later in the year, not sure when yet but if you can give me any info you might think is relevant I will be very greatful. It is quite difficult to find anything by doing a search so perhaps someone local would be good. My husband is staying at The Hilton for a while so once he gets his bearings he will also be a good source of information. Take Care:wub:

Amazing Grace Jul 3rd 2007 5:06 pm

Hi Larnie, just been re-reading some of the posts and noticed you said you had got an apartment in AA. Do the apartments there come with all the amenities eg pool, gym etc. I hope you are settling in well, I am looking forward to coming over later in the year, not sure when yet but if you can give me any info you might think is relevant I will be very greatful. It is quite difficult to find anything by doing a search so perhaps someone local would be good. My husband is staying at The Hilton for a while so once he gets his bearings he will also be a good source of information. Take Care:wub:

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace (Post 5004164)

I thought Larnie was in the Intercon?? I haven't stayed there before.

larnie Jul 4th 2007 5:40 am

Hi AG yes BC is right I am living in an apartment at the Intercon which was provided by my husband's employers for the first month and we have chosen to stay for another month as it provies everything and my husband was worried I would feel isolated. We might even stay permanently in an hotel as we are only here for 2 and a half years so it seem pointless to set up house for such a short time We are keen to move around the world a bit for the next few years. I haven't really done much exploring in Al Ain yet as I've been ill with this "Travellers Illness" for a couple of weeks but we got a car at the weekend and that made a huge difference to getting around alhough I haven't had the courage to drive yet but am planning to give it a go this weekend. The temperature has an impact on what you do as it is extreemely hot at the moment and no one ventures outside much, although by the time you get here in September it should be a little more bearable.

larnie Jul 4th 2007 5:48 am

I had an amzing experience yesterday. I went to Al Jimi Mall to do some shopping and was sitting having a Cap at Starbucks when this Western woman came up and introduced herself and asked if I minded if she joined me. She was British and had lived in Al Ain for 17 years. We went back to her house for a cup ot tea and spent the afternoon chatting. She was a wealth of knowledge about Al Ain and a lovely person. The house she is living in is close to Jimi but don't ask be where. She said it was quite old but it looked fairly typical being a semi-detached duplex but what amazed me most was the size once you got inside. It was huge, 3 enormouse bedrooms, 2 hugeg living rooms, a large dining room, big kitchen and 3 bathrooms. They were paying Dhs70K which is very cheap. So I guess if yo're going to be here a while then you won't mind furnishing a place. I'll be seeing her again so I'll get some info for you on agents, areas etc if you like.

Larnie

Blue Cat Jul 4th 2007 5:51 am

that is so lovely!! Dubai used to be like that many moons ago! now no one seems to have the time to help out anyone these days. The expatwoman coffee mornings can be a lifeline for alot of women but they don't run anything up in Al Ain. They are pretty popular here. :)

larnie Jul 4th 2007 5:58 am

Yeah it was lovely really perked me up. I think she gets quite lonely too. She doesn't drive so once I'm mobile I'm hoping we can get out and about together. Maybe we could set up a "Meet and Greet" somewhere in Al Ain so that we can all have some company and something to look forward to.

Amazing Grace Jul 4th 2007 7:25 am

Hi Larnie, you sound as if you might be quite new at Expat life as I know exactly how you are feeling. I am in my early 50's and have been travelling and working abroad with my husband for many years. What a lovely expat lady, she sounds like a lady I too would like to meet. When I lived in Kuala Lumpur 3 years ago I belonged to the ABWM which is the Association of British Women in Malaysia and one of the very important things we did after fund raising for local charities was a monthly coffee morning for newcomers to Kuala Lumpur for a meet and greet and we quickly introduced ourselves. I worked on the desk twice a week and i met a lovely lady who was new and came in to ask where she paid her electric bill, that's the sort of thing ladies need to know about and we are best friends now. In each of the expat areas there was a link lady who was the first contact for newcomers which proved absolutely a lifeline as it is always very daunting arriving in a foreign country not knowing a soul. Our hubbies are fine as they are at work and getting to know people that way but our job abroad if we don't work ourselves is making the social life active as a couple. I am looking forward very much to coming to Al Ain and I would be very happy to have a get together for a coffee with you so lets keep in touch.

I am sorry you are feeling sicky, its funny but my husband hasnt been feeling 100% since arriving in AA also the heat is the worst of the year. We were working in a hospital in Khamis Mushayt up in the mountains in Saudi Arabia and the heat there was very similar, we just have to get used to it again so slowly slowly. Sip lemonade slowly I find settles a jippy tummy, don't ask me why. Take Care and keep in touch:wub:

larnie Jul 4th 2007 7:43 am

Yes very new to expat life. We are 50 and lived all our lives in Christchurch until 6 years ago when we moved to Wellington which was as big an adventure as we thought we could manage at the time. My husband spent the last 3 years commuting to Auckland 5 days a week working on a large building project. The people working on the site were from all over the world and he loved it. We decided that at the end of the project we would do our OE which neither of us had done being married and 20 and kids at 23 so we resigned from our jobs and bought a one way ticket to London. Then my husband was offered this job in Al Ain and the package was so good that we felt we had to give it a go. So here I am having given up work after 33 years and in a foreign country not knowing a sole. You are right about the husband going to work and making friends but luckily mine is very aware and sensitive to how I'm feeling. I may do some study as that is something I have alwasy wanted to do but never had the time. Yes we must all keep in touch, perhaps with your help we could set up something similar here in Al Ain. I know there are some Mothers and Babies coffee mornings here. I have tried to register to Expatwomen but have had no reply.

Blue Cat Jul 4th 2007 7:48 am

Originally Posted by larnie (Post 5006595)
Yes very new to expat life. We are 50 and lived all our lives in Christchurch until 6 years ago when we moved to Wellington which was as big an adventure as we thought we could manage at the time. My husband spent the last 3 years commuting to Auckland 5 days a week working on a large building project. The people working on the site were from all over the world and he loved it. We decided that at the end of the project we would do our OE which neither of us had done being married and 20 and kids at 23 so we resigned from our jobs and bought a one way ticket to London. Then my husband was offered this job in Al Ain and the package was so good that we felt we had to give it a go. So here I am having given up work after 33 years and in a foreign country not knowing a sole. You are right about the husband going to work and making friends but luckily mine is very aware and sensitive to how I'm feeling. I may do some study as that is something I have alwasy wanted to do but never had the time. Yes we must all keep in touch, perhaps with your help we could set up something similar here in Al Ain. I know there are some Mothers and Babies coffee mornings here. I have tried to register to Expatwomen but have had no reply.

www.expatwoman.com - try their information board there are girls on their posting from Al Ain. I know they don't have a coffee morning running up there but there is no reason why you couldn't start one :) I will drop you a PM when I am coming up there next. Probably mid August. :)

Amazing Grace Jul 4th 2007 7:55 am

Larnie, this is very spooky when i went to Kuala Lumpur my link lady was a lovely lady from South Wales UK and it the way you described yourself in your last post it was like reading about my friend as she did exactly the same thing with her hubby. She is now living in Shanghai and absolutely loves expat life. My hubby thinks similarly if I am happy and content then he can concentrate with his work and not be worrying about me, he is also an engineer, you should touch base with him at The Hilton if you are there for a meal or a beer etc. BC thank you for your PM I havent opened it yet but will in a very short mo. I too registered with Expat Women and havent heard anything back but it is the summer and so many people are away. Thats something else we could do and organise things for ladies who cant or dont go away over the hot weather. You have taken the first step and met the lovely lady in Starbucks and made friends so it gets better from here. In my experiences I find it can take a good few months to settle in so dont despare.
Talk to you soon:wub: