Living in Al Ain

Old Mar 17th 2016, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Al3ain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Hi all, we are moving to Al Ain from the UK in August, I wonder what is your advice - and experiences- about British schools in Al Ain; I have looked at Al Ain English Speaking School, Al Ain International School, and Brighton College, and I would love to hear first hand experience from parents there. Also are there any other good British Schools in Al Ain?
Thank you
Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:48 am
Just Joined

sand_lover is an unknown quantity at this point

My kids are at Brighton College. I don't have direct experience of other schools but very happy with Brighton College. ADEC reports (equivalent of ofsted) rate it higher than any other school in Al Ain. Fees are comparatively high though.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sand_lover
My kids are at Brighton College. I don't have direct experience of other schools but very happy with Brighton College. ADEC reports (equivalent of ofsted) rate it higher than any other school in Al Ain. Fees are comparatively high though.
Thanks sand_lover. I liked Brighton College, the fees are too high though. How is it in comparison to UK schools (independent, grammar, and comprehensives)?

I wanted to know more about the secondary schools, my children will be in Y8 and Y6 this September.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:23 am
Just Joined

sand_lover is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine are only 5 and 6 so I can't comment on secondary and also long-term expats so no experience of UK schools (unhelpful). BC facilities are very good and it feels like a British public school to me (terminology mainly eg they have prep).

How academic/ sporty / artsy are your kids? Might be worth asking the schools on that. BC offers scholarships so may have inticed away a lot if the high performing secondary level kids from other schools. They're certainly the top option for English curriculum at primary by a long way (I probably wouldn't have moved if the school hadn't been here but I'm fussy!).

I think BC has yet to have had a full GCSE results year to know how academic they are but I doubt any of the schools in AA are fantastic - combination of restricted catchment and the fact that expat kids move into and out of schools a lot.

Last edited by sand_lover; Mar 22nd 2016 at 7:25 am.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sand_lover
Mine are only 5 and 6 so I can't comment on secondary and also long-term expats so no experience of UK schools (unhelpful). BC facilities are very good and it feels like a British public school to me (terminology mainly eg they have prep).

How academic/ sporty / artsy are your kids? Might be worth asking the schools on that. BC offers scholarships so may have inticed away a lot if the high performing secondary level kids from other schools. They're certainly the top option for English curriculum at primary by a long way (I probably wouldn't have moved if the school hadn't been here but I'm fussy!).

I think BC has yet to have had a full GCSE results year to know how academic they are but I doubt any of the schools in AA are fantastic - combination of restricted catchment and the fact that expat kids move into and out of schools a lot.
Thanks Sand-lover this is very useful. Schooling is our priority as well and finding suitable school definitely affecting our decision to move to Al Ain.
Old Apr 3rd 2016, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

campino23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I have been offered a job as a secondary English teacher in a pretty good school in Al Ain. I'm just not sure whether Al Ain is for me. I have heard there is not much to do and therefore not much of a social life out there which, worries me slightly. On the other hand, reading through this thread, I can see that there is a huge expat community out there.

Could someone provide me with some general information on what it is like to live in Al Ain and what the social scene is like? I'm more than aware that any experience abroad is what you make of it but I guess I just don't want to feel isolated and like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Any information/ advice would be much appreciated!! : )
Old Apr 4th 2016, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

It is pretty quiet. It's no Dubai.

I know a few who worked in Al Ain, including as teachers, before moving to Dubai. No one hated Al Ain but all said it was quiet. For young people, social life revolves around the same handful of bars in the same handful of hotels like the Hilton, which can be a closely knit crowd and a blast, or not depending on your personality and interests.

A fair few young people teaching both at schools and at the various universities. So you won't be isolated and alone.

Cost of living is much lower than Dubai. There's many more shops and restaurants in the new malls than just a few years ago so it doesn't feel as provincial and quiet it once did. And compared to Dubai it's easier to save money. And you'll still get to travel often if that's your scene.

Near some fantastic (for the UAE) outdoor activities. Sand dunes, mountains, Oman is just across the border and is even better. If you enjoy camping it's a great place. Dubai is also just up the road and convenient for a weekend. Book a cheap hotel in Al Barsha and you're set and odds are you'll probably take weekends in Dubai with your coworkers every now and then.

If you have a good offer at a good school in Al Ain it's probably worth taking it for a year or two, and then apply for schools in Dubai. Having UAE experience and coming from a good school will help you.

Originally Posted by campino23
Hello,

I have been offered a job as a secondary English teacher in a pretty good school in Al Ain. I'm just not sure whether Al Ain is for me. I have heard there is not much to do and therefore not much of a social life out there which, worries me slightly. On the other hand, reading through this thread, I can see that there is a huge expat community out there.

Could someone provide me with some general information on what it is like to live in Al Ain and what the social scene is like? I'm more than aware that any experience abroad is what you make of it but I guess I just don't want to feel isolated and like I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Any information/ advice would be much appreciated!! : )
Old Apr 4th 2016, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

campino23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much- this is useful to know! I think you're right. It would be a good move experience wise, a solid opportunity to save some money and a great jumping off point.

I don't mind the idea of a handful of bars. Its nice to know that Dubai isn't far if I wanted something more, anyway.

Do you happen to know much about Brighton College/ know anyone that worked there?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
It is pretty quiet. It's no Dubai.

I know a few who worked in Al Ain, including as teachers, before moving to Dubai. No one hated Al Ain but all said it was quiet. For young people, social life revolves around the same handful of bars in the same handful of hotels like the Hilton, which can be a closely knit crowd and a blast, or not depending on your personality and interests.

A fair few young people teaching both at schools and at the various universities. So you won't be isolated and alone.

Cost of living is much lower than Dubai. There's many more shops and restaurants in the new malls than just a few years ago so it doesn't feel as provincial and quiet it once did. And compared to Dubai it's easier to save money. And you'll still get to travel often if that's your scene.

Near some fantastic (for the UAE) outdoor activities. Sand dunes, mountains, Oman is just across the border and is even better. If you enjoy camping it's a great place. Dubai is also just up the road and convenient for a weekend. Book a cheap hotel in Al Barsha and you're set and odds are you'll probably take weekends in Dubai with your coworkers every now and then.

If you have a good offer at a good school in Al Ain it's probably worth taking it for a year or two, and then apply for schools in Dubai. Having UAE experience and coming from a good school will help you.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Al Ain is absolutely fine, I lived there for 3 years and moved with my job. I would have no hesitation about moving back. Most expats in Dubai rarely leave the city and appear severely blinkered in my view...Dubai for me is fine for a weekend break but when living there it lost its sheen......and traffic a nightmare.
I would guess that most residents have a fairly mundane 9-5 week day existence just like at home.
So in that respect Al Ain is absolutely fine, it has over 600,000 residents so not a tiny outpost by any stretch of the imagination; it has a higher proportion of Emiratis compared to Dubai.
Brighton College is fairly new, I know parents whose children are pupils and also a few teachers there. The teachers that I know are well qualified, young (25-35) and enthusiastic. Plenty of social activity through school colleagues I'm sure, hotels/rugby/golf club etc are reasonably priced compared to Dubai/Abu Dhabi.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 9:29 am
Just Joined

KatiKins is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living in Al Ain

Hi All,

I am potentially moving to Al Ain in August, well my husband will be and myself and our 3 year old will follow thereafter.

I was wondering if there were any teachers currently working with ADEC, who could answer some questions please?

* what the housing is like, and if you are generally placed in housing amongst other expats? (We have been told that as of this year all teachers with families, will be placed in Al Ain, so that's a definite. )

* Are there any neighbourhoods which are better than others?

* What is a realistic time frame, for me to expect to be able to join my hubby in UAE, once he has been granted his RP?

* Driving - Now I don't hold a full licence as of yet, but am planning an extensive course and to pass, prior to moving. Are there any rules regarding newly licensed drivers being unable to hire a car etc.?

* Is there much in the way of mother and children groups, book clubs, running clubs and other of the like around, to help make friends and integrate?

Thanks a million
K
Old Apr 17th 2016, 8:04 am
Just Joined

AnaAnjos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain OSTHEOPATH

Hi I'm new in the forum and new in Al Ain, I came to Al Ain in January this year and my husband just join me and now we are currently looking for a job for him. My husband is an OSTHEOPATH with several years of experience if anyone knows of some vacancy or for some reason needs his service we are here for you.

Regards
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Hi Katikins and welcome to Al Ain in the summer.
I have replied to your questions below in blue, and if you need more info about the garden city please check out the Al Ain series on my blog - Life in Al Ain: Part 1 – Shopping – Updated 2015 | The Desert Diva

Originally Posted by KatiKins
Hi All,

I am potentially moving to Al Ain in August, well my husband will be and myself and our 3 year old will follow thereafter.

I was wondering if there were any teachers currently working with ADEC, who could answer some questions please? Sorry not an ADEC teacher but I know quite a few of them!

* what the housing is like, and if you are generally placed in housing amongst other expats? (We have been told that as of this year all teachers with families, will be placed in Al Ain, so that's a definite. ) The main complexes you are placed in are Greenlands, Hili and Muwaiji Village - all accommodation is ok, although Muwaiji apartments are smaller than the others.

* Are there any neighbourhoods which are better than others? Depends what you classify as "better." Hili is quite a way out of the city but in the last few years the Wahat Hili Mall opened complete with supermarket and restaurants, and it is near Hili Oasis etc so it is ok.

* What is a realistic time frame, for me to expect to be able to join my hubby in UAE, once he has been granted his RP? In the past many families have traveled here together - is that not the policy now? Means you have to stay in a hotel for a few weeks until your husband's visa is processed and you are allocated accommodation. In the past my friends visas have been processed in a month or less, at which point they can then sponsor their families (but ADEC help you do that).

* Driving - Now I don't hold a full licence as of yet, but am planning an extensive course and to pass, prior to moving. Are there any rules regarding newly licensed drivers being unable to hire a car etc.? I am not sure if you will be able to hire a car with a new licence, and really you may not wish to drive here straight away - even super experienced drivers balk at the driving style when they first arrive.

* Is there much in the way of mother and children groups, book clubs, running clubs and other of the like around, to help make friends and integrate? Many many groups, mainly run on FB. Al Ain is a lovely friendly place and since you have a pre-schooler it will be very easy for you to meet people!

Thanks a million
K
Old Oct 4th 2016, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

ToePick is an unknown quantity at this point

We are moving to Al Ain shortly. My daughter and I figure skate and I do know there is a rink at the mall. Does anyone know if there are coaches for lessons? Preferably freeskate and dance coaching, not basic badges. If so, where would the lessons take place (I am hoping not the mall with public skaters)? I know Dubai has figure skating and coaches but I am hoping to find something locally so we could do this in the evenings after work/school.

Thanks!
Old May 4th 2017, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Sandpixie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
we are considering a move to Al Ain but we're curious about what opportunities there are for school aged kids activities outside of school in a smaller town.
For instance our 10 & 8 year olds compete in Gymnastics competitions -is there a competitive level squad in al ain itself or is the only option to join a squad based in Abu Dhabi/Dubai.

Also what other activities are there available in al ain for them outside school I have been searching the usual forums etc but not been able to find much so either there's not much going on or it's not popping up in my searches e.g. Horseriding / dance classes etc

Would be great to hear what there is (or indeed isn't)

TIA
Old Jul 21st 2017, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

sadman2018 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello every body am an Egyptian man living in Abu Dhabi
and i heard that Al ain is the wonderful place and nice wither there i am here in abu dhabi at this time three years now but i love to move to Al ain if i have new job there am looking at this time for new job i have tow language and Computer Skills and UAE driving license if u can help to find job i will be thankful for u
thank u any way and nice to meet u all