British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Living in Al Ain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/living-al-ain-457411/)

fizzy Jun 18th 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Living in Al Ain

Larnie let know how you are getting on ..... I just started a new thread but MM showed me your thread ...

Amazing Grace Jul 3rd 2007 12:29 pm

Hi everyone I have just joined this site and having been an expat for over 30 years I know how helpful everyone on these sites can be. My husband arrived in Al Ain last Friday and started work on Sunday at Al Ain Hospital. I am not sure at this time when I will be joining him but being a web surfer I have been trying very hard to find any info I can on accommodation but without much luck. I have heard of two places Al Andalus Complex and also Oyoun Village and would be grateful if anyone could let me know how much these places are to rent. I was last in Dubai in 1988 so probably wont recognise it when I go to see it again. My husband and I have worked in Saudi Arabia so are quite familiar to the way of life and customs etc.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :cool:

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 12:49 pm

Ooh AG that Andalus complex is lovely! we were in Al Ain for the weekend last weekend and I saw that complex and said to my husband I would love to live there! It is just round the corner from the Hilton Hotel and near to Al Ain Mall as well. Really nice. Also tell the hubby to try out Paco's bar in the Hilton, loads of Brits in there - lovely soldiers actually!! nice guys though.

I am so envious!!

Amazing Grace Jul 3rd 2007 1:01 pm

Hi Blue Cat, thanks for your reply. My hubby is staying at the Hilton for a while so no doubt he will have found Paco's Bar. He is also an ex soldier and after all these years (33 years this month we have been married) he still has the Wow factor for me. I will tell him to have a look at Al Andalus when he has some free time. I hope the time passes for me to go out to join him as I love this part of the world. I have to stay in UK for a little while longer as our youngest daughter is near to having her second baby so needs her Mum. As i said anyone who can give me any info about housing would be greatly appreciated.:wub:

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace (Post 5002967)
Hi Blue Cat, thanks for your reply. My hubby is staying at the Hilton for a while so no doubt he will have found Paco's Bar. He is also an ex soldier and after all these years (33 years this month we have been married) he still has the Wow factor for me. I will tell him to have a look at Al Andalus when he has some free time. I hope the time passes for me to go out to join him as I love this part of the world. I have to stay in UK for a little while longer as our youngest daughter is near to having her second baby so needs her Mum. As i said anyone who can give me any info about housing would be greatly appreciated.:wub:

Well we were in the Hilton on Thursday and Friday night! came back on Saturday, I bet I saw him! what a small world. He will have found the military guys, there are loads of them. I hope your daughter is well, keep in touch as I love going up to Al Ain, we would love to work there ourselves.

larnie Jul 3rd 2007 1:05 pm

Blue Cat is that the complex which looks a bit like small Tuscan Villas. Not sure of the District

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by larnie (Post 5002999)
Blue Cat is that the complex which looks a bit like small Tuscan Villas. Not sure of the District

yes it is sort of behind the Hilton if you were heading to the mall, they are on the left hand side. Look really lovely, I meant to PM you when I got back but forgot! AG reminded me about them. How much are they ???

larnie Jul 3rd 2007 1:11 pm

An American guy working with my husband has just leased one. His is Dhs120K but it has nothing in it. He has to put in all the kitchen cupboards and bathroom etc

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by larnie (Post 5003030)
An American guy working with my husband has just leased one. His is Dhs120K but it has nothing in it. He has to put in all the kitchen cupboards and bathroom etc

really?? that seems alot. We were talking to one of the military lads and he had a 7 bed villa for 100K, I would shop around if that is the case.

larnie Jul 3rd 2007 1:16 pm

We think we'll stick with hotel until December. Might even try the Rotana for something different.

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by larnie (Post 5003054)
We think we'll stick with hotel until December. Might even try the Rotana for something different.

I actually preferred the Hilton to the Intercon, more buzz in there, nice pool area, two pools etc. I am going back up to the Hilton in August, on my own with little miss for a couple of nights break. The rotana is nice but they are extending it and I was woken up every morning with banging - the rooms are nice though

larnie Jul 3rd 2007 1:22 pm

We went to Trader Vics for dinner one night saw they were building. Might suss out the Hilton then. What was the room rate like? We have an apartment here which we are hoping to get for Dhs9000pm

Blue Cat Jul 3rd 2007 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by larnie (Post 5003081)
We went to Trader Vics for dinner one night saw they were building. Might suss out the Hilton then. What was the room rate like? We have an apartment here which we are hoping to get for Dhs9000pm

380 a night but if you apply for a Hilton Honours card which is 750 Dhs you get 20% on room rate and on all your food and drinks. They had some little villa type things. Apparently they do a good deal for long term. All the Military are there.

larnie Jul 3rd 2007 1:29 pm

Thanks might give them a ring?

larnie Jul 3rd 2007 1:34 pm

Does the Hilton have a gym