Living in Al Ain

Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:09 am
ZZS
Just Joined

ZZS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by UAE student
Welcome to Alain city.

The people in Alain are friendly so you will feel as it's ur home, and also about the school I think they have already started. I would ask about this for you becasue I don't have any idea about they American school but the local school had started from the last week. About the villa there is a complex next to the hospital. if you have any question I will be more than happy to answer ur question.
About the plans the best company here is Etisalat and it's the same as at&t in the US.

I will ask for you about the villa. If you want anything in Alain feel free to ask.

I was born in Alain and I know everything here. BTW I'm a UAE citizen

Thank you. We are hoping to go out to Al Ain in the next 2 months to have a look around and see the schools. My kids have been back for 2 weeks as well. It seems very daunting as a mother trying to set up schools and a home when it's all so uncertin and foreign. But as time goes by I'm sure it will be a distant memory.

In the contract it stated that for the first 3 months (probationary period) we are to live in hospital provided accommodation. Any one have any ideas what that is like or a guess as to where?

As for the locals, do they mix with the expats? Just wondering.

Thanks to everyone so far!!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZZS
Thanks Bob. The tax issue is really a non issue. He has a green card sponsored on my parents income (because I was only 21 when we married and didn't make enough at the time). I really appreciate your advice though
He doesn't if he's not resident in the US, needs to look up abandonment issues...it's been a big surprise for quite a lot of people and still, filing to the IRS only takes a couple of minutes to the embassy, so nothing to lose as you don't have any tax liability

But speaking of abandonment issues, if your OH does have a greencard, not filing US taxes and especially declaring anything over $10K outside of the US is one of the big ones in showing he's abandoned his status in the US. He'll want to speak to a immigration lawyer if he wants to protect his status and keep the card, or you'll be starting from scratch if you want to move back.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 7:24 pm
ZZS
Just Joined

ZZS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
He doesn't if he's not resident in the US, needs to look up abandonment issues...it's been a big surprise for quite a lot of people and still, filing to the IRS only takes a couple of minutes to the embassy, so nothing to lose as you don't have any tax liability

But speaking of abandonment issues, if your OH does have a greencard, not filing US taxes and especially declaring anything over $10K outside of the US is one of the big ones in showing he's abandoned his status in the US. He'll want to speak to a immigration lawyer if he wants to protect his status and keep the card, or you'll be starting from scratch if you want to move back.
Good to know, thank you.

I am wondering (if you know), we have never lived in the USA since we married in 2005, we have always lived in the UK where he pays taxes. The only jobs I ever had were in high school and college earning less than $5k a year. I get a letter every year from social security saying I can pay $X to keep my SS active, which I don't do. Also, I have never worked in the UK as I am a full time mom/housewife. My husband does not have a SSN. I don't think that we/I am liable to pay taxes. Also I have been told by immigration that once your I-131 (spousal immigration paper or along those lines) is approved it is good forever. So if he does not keep up his visa re applying isn't too much of a problem.
Does that make any sense? And do you know anything about it?
Many thanks!
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

UAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ZZS
Thank you. We are hoping to go out to Al Ain in the next 2 months to have a look around and see the schools. My kids have been back for 2 weeks as well. It seems very daunting as a mother trying to set up schools and a home when it's all so uncertin and foreign. But as time goes by I'm sure it will be a distant memory.

In the contract it stated that for the first 3 months (probationary period) we are to live in hospital provided accommodation. Any one have any ideas what that is like or a guess as to where?

As for the locals, do they mix with the expats? Just wondering.

Thanks to everyone so far!!
You are more than welcome. So you will come over in November or December, to have a look I think in the November and the beginning of December you will see it as a busy city because of Eid alathah and the National day. about the school you can search about it online and I found some information about the schools
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/schools-al-ain.php

I would like to ask you about the hosptial that your husband will work at.
Is it Tawam Hospital or Alain Hospital?

about your queation about the local, in Alain we live as a one family and you will see it when you come here but not all the people can speak English fluently.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZZS
Good to know, thank you.

I am wondering (if you know), we have never lived in the USA since we married in 2005, we have always lived in the UK where he pays taxes. The only jobs I ever had were in high school and college earning less than $5k a year. I get a letter every year from social security saying I can pay $X to keep my SS active, which I don't do. Also, I have never worked in the UK as I am a full time mom/housewife. My husband does not have a SSN. I don't think that we/I am liable to pay taxes. Also I have been told by immigration that once your I-131 (spousal immigration paper or along those lines) is approved it is good forever. So if he does not keep up his visa re applying isn't too much of a problem.
Does that make any sense? And do you know anything about it?
Many thanks!
So your husband never got a greencard? Applying for IR1 visa, only gets you greencard if you enter the US to activate it. If you aren't resident in the US, you lose the status, so if he's never lived in the US, he doesn't have a greencard.

You have assets over $10K, combined or in single accounts, houses, anything, as a USC, you have to declare them to the IRS, it's FBAR requirement, this is much more important to you than worrying about having any income taxes due, because there are heavy penalties for not filing and if you ever decide to live back in the US, it will be this that hurts you the most.

You want to be making SS contributions if you can, because you need a minimum of 5 years worth of contributions to be eligible for medicare and medicaid should you retire in the US, but healthcare will be expensive till you've made 10 years worth of contributions.

You probably want to have a read over the wiki and some of the stickied threads in the US visa forums to get your head over this. It's not something you should be winging it on.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

sue02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZZS
Hello all, I have a few questions and hoping I can get pointed in the right direction.
First off, my husband accepted an offer in Al Ain Hospital as a consultant so we will be on his visa. There are 5 of us. Children are aged (at the time of move) 6, 4, 2. Currently they are in year 1, nursery, and home with me.

The agency has said we are looking to start work in March. I have looked over the contract and benefits and it looks good.

My big questions are: what is considered to be the best school and how difficult is it to get in and wait list times? What areas are best to live in? We are looking for a 4-6 bed villa with private pool for up to 190k AED and is that realistic to our price range? What is the second hand car market like and are insurance rates similar to the uk? Are there good calling plans (long distance or phone card) to the USA?

I am American (white) and my husband is Indian (we are all Muslim if that matters) do you see this kind of family in Al Ain - should I be even thinking about this?

We have been in the North West UK for 8 years and I'm ready for some sun!!

If anyone can answer any of my questions or add any advice I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks.
Hi
There is a local Mums & Tots group here which will give you the opportunity to meet lots of other Mums & is also a great source of information! You can subscribe by sending an e-mail to [email protected]
Parents & children of various ages meet once a week and from that there can be various meet ups in the week (ie. craft/playgroup just started at the Danat hotel on Monday mornings 9 - 12pm).
Also check out http://www.alainexpat.com/home.html, another good source of info (housing etc). I've been here for 2 1/2 years now & we came from the North West too (Southport). Good luck with your move, hope to bump into you soon
Sue :-)
Old Sep 28th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ZZS
Hello all, I have a few questions and hoping I can get pointed in the right direction.
First off, my husband accepted an offer in Al Ain Hospital as a consultant so we will be on his visa. There are 5 of us. Children are aged (at the time of move) 6, 4, 2. Currently they are in year 1, nursery, and home with me.

The agency has said we are looking to start work in March. I have looked over the contract and benefits and it looks good.

My big questions are: what is considered to be the best school and how difficult is it to get in and wait list times? What areas are best to live in? We are looking for a 4-6 bed villa with private pool for up to 190k AED and is that realistic to our price range? What is the second hand car market like and are insurance rates similar to the uk? Are there good calling plans (long distance or phone card) to the USA?

I am American (white) and my husband is Indian (we are all Muslim if that matters) do you see this kind of family in Al Ain - should I be even thinking about this?

We have been in the North West UK for 8 years and I'm ready for some sun!!

If anyone can answer any of my questions or add any advice I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks.
Hi,
My husband also works as a consultant in Al Ain hospital. We have been here for around 2 years now (coincidentally, I am also from the NW UK).

Housing, compounds are good but hard to get into. We have a 5 bed villa in a compound, so we have the pools there - but not private. That was just in your price range. You could get what you are looking for within your budget, but you would have to be prepared to drive further out. There aren't that many places with private pools actually. A lot of people join the hotels (around 5000Dhs a year - the hospital gives a discount on that, around 1000 less I think). Or you can buy pools from the supermarket - a friend of mine had a huge one (big enough to really swim in). Cost around 7000 I think.

Personally, I think AAESS is the best school in Al Ain. You can email them for info. My kids are there. There is also Chouiefat and a new one, Al Ain International school. The new one will be out of your budget with the hospital allowances.

The second hand car market is not bad. You can get a reasonable car for around 40,000 Dhs. A brand new one (you can pay monthly) for a family 4x4 type would be around 120,000 Dhs (cheapest). Insurance expensive, around 5000Dhs a year.

No calling plans as far as I am aware - put skype on your computer before you come out. You can get skype calling plans then.

No problem at all with mixed marriages. I'm Muslim too, you get all sorts here

Feel free to pm me if you want any other information.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Fancy doing something different on Friday 21st October?
If you have a 4x4 car, why not join our Pink Drive 2011 in aid of Tawam Breast Cancer Centre Patient Fund.
The event is being run by UAEoffroaders/Almost4x4 desert driving clubs, and 5 convoys will be run from 1pm onwards.
No previous desert driving experience is required, it is a relatively easy route from Al Saad through to Al Ain airport, and we will teach you the necessary skills if required.
The minimum dontation for the drive is $28USD (approx 100aed) and we would like you to put at least one pink bow on your car and all occupants to wear something pink.
After the drive we have a great BBQ laid on at Tawam Recreation Centre, cost is $20USD (approx 70aed) for adults and kids 5-11 are half price.
All funds from the drive and bbq will go to the charity, the two offroad clubs are running this for free.
For more details and the link for registration, please send me a pm.
Thanks, Marina
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

heathb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Khan
hey Janine, can i have the address so i can subscribe pls.

cheers
Hi Janine, may i also have niala's contact details thanks
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Abhi23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All
Thanks to this forum we have been able to gather a wealth of information about Al Ain. We are a family of four from Canada planning a move to Al Ain in the next few months.
My husband has been offered a job at the UAE University as a professor in the medical faculty. We are anxious as well as excited about this but have a few questions:
1. HOw are the accomodations from the University?
2. We have 2 young girls 1 year old, is it easy to find a nanny and whats the cost like?
3. My biggest concern is that I am a Senior Business Analyst working in a multinational publishing company here in Canada and I will have to give my job up to make this move. I am reluctant to do that and would like my MBA to come to use as well. What are the chances of me finding something similar in Al Ain ?
4. Are the chances greater in Dubai and Abu Dhabi if so, can I commute if we hire a driver ?
5. Any recruiting agencies you would recommend for us to start somewhere.

Thank you so much.
Abhi
Old Oct 30th 2011, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Abhi23
Hello All
Thanks to this forum we have been able to gather a wealth of information about Al Ain. We are a family of four from Canada planning a move to Al Ain in the next few months.
My husband has been offered a job at the UAE University as a professor in the medical faculty. We are anxious as well as excited about this but have a few questions:
1. HOw are the accomodations from the University?
2. We have 2 young girls 1 year old, is it easy to find a nanny and whats the cost like?
3. My biggest concern is that I am a Senior Business Analyst working in a multinational publishing company here in Canada and I will have to give my job up to make this move. I am reluctant to do that and would like my MBA to come to use as well. What are the chances of me finding something similar in Al Ain ?
4. Are the chances greater in Dubai and Abu Dhabi if so, can I commute if we hire a driver ?
5. Any recruiting agencies you would recommend for us to start somewhere.

Thank you so much.
Abhi
I would stay in Dubai. In some areas it is an hour away from Al Ain. 2 hrs a day travelling is better than having to spend all week here.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:56 am
Just Joined

manny pants is an unknown quantity at this point

We are Canadian and have been living in Al Ain for two years now-my hubby works at UAE university as a prof as well!! We have 3 children and are very much enjoying life here. I do not work outside the home so I have found it very easy to meet people with all of the children's groups as well as school. Life in Al Ain is generally quite family oriented and (I suppose) less exciting than Abu Dhabi or Dubai but with a short drive you can easily spend a lovely day at the beach or sightseeing or wander around the malls and go out for dinner in one of the larger cities and return to Al Ain in the evening We enjoy the slower pace of life and less traffic here! If you are hoping to get a job in your field your chances are probably better in one of the bigger cities...I know many families who have one person commuting but from what I have seen it gets quite wearing quickly!! We really like our villa here but transferred from something smaller last year. University housing can really vary-they have certain rental properties and some are great and some not as great- it depends what is available at the time you move, but having a family and being a prof should guarantee you a fairly good accomodation. There are nanny agencies here or when families leave they often look to place their nannies prior to leaving. The cost is exceptionally lower than what you would pay in Canada. There is not much if any nurseries that would be a good fit for 1 year olds so a nanny may be your best option. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!! Good luck with your decision
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 11:13 am
Just Joined

lolita31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everybody,

I have been reading this MEGA thread for a while and I must say it is full of information and thoughts of lovely people.
but NOBODY posted anything on IT for years.

Are you still there? How is Al Ain now? Has a lot of things changed since the credit crunch? Any doctors & nurses living over there?
How is life for you? Is it what you expected? better/worst?

I am about to sign a contract for Al Ain and want to make an informed decision before I decide to take the whole family on the other side of the world.

Any thoughts will be highly appreciated!
Thank you!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Abhi23 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi Manny pants, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I will PM you some additional questions very soon
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

The regular Tuesday morning coffee still happens at the Cafe Hut, Al Jimi. We can have anything between 5 and 20 ladies attend, most of us have teenage/grown up children (trying to say most of us aren't under 30!), and all ladies are welcome. We start arriving around 10am, and break up around 11.30am.

We like to think we are a friendly bunch and newcomers to Al Ain can find out so much from those who have been here a while; anything from where to get cheap hardware to good destinations for a short holiday. Hope to see some new faces there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.