Living in Al Ain

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

sue02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by docbob
Yeah..i have visited them a couple of weeks back..they had like a (soft)opening during whole ramadan.They seem decent,place new and very clean but didn't have time to check all of it..Needs a longer 2nd visit.They have an application form/fees schedule/buses ready for your questions.

Great option for us as we live nearby..hope this is helpfulcheers
Hi
Yes thanks! I have a 2.5 yr old daughter & need to start thinking about nursery options!
Thanks
Sue
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

docbob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sue02
Hi
Yes thanks! I have a 2.5 yr old daughter & need to start thinking about nursery options!
Thanks
Sue
Hi again Sue..exactly same age as my girl anyway forgot to leave you

their contact no 03-7673322

email: [email protected]

take care
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by docbob
Hi again Sue..exactly same age as my girl anyway forgot to leave you

their contact no 03-7673322

email: [email protected]

take care
Thanks docbob :-)
Sue
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

UAEoffroaders is running a Rookie trip for newcomers to the club and to sand dune driving on September 23rd. We will be driving in the Al Saad, Al Ain area, so it's not far out of town.

If you would like to join our fun group and discover the desert around Al Ain, please join our FREE club (www.uaeoffroaders.com) and sign up for the Rookie Trip here http://www.uaeoffroaders.com/forum/s...3048#post33048

If you have problems registering or would like more information before you join please send me a pm.

Hope to see some of you on the sand soon!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sue02
Hi
Thanks
Sue
Hi Sue and DocBob. From what I've heard around town, you may be disappointed with the new nursery if you are perhaps expecting western standards. If you are looking for something not full time, then I suggest taking a look on Niala for the "rainbow" home school ads. I have my 2.5 year old son there and the lady that does it is fabulous!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:30 am
Just Joined

scarab1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone found a place here in Al Ain to have good kitchen knives sharpened? I know that Tavola in Dubai does it, but it's expensive and you have to leave them there for a week!

thanks!!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeznleez
Hi Sue and DocBob. From what I've heard around town, you may be disappointed with the new nursery if you are perhaps expecting western standards. If you are looking for something not full time, then I suggest taking a look on Niala for the "rainbow" home school ads. I have my 2.5 year old son there and the lady that does it is fabulous!
Thanks for the info Cheeznleez, will look into it!
Sue
Old Sep 16th 2011, 7:58 pm
ZZS
Just Joined

ZZS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all, I have a few questions and hoping I can get pointed in the right direction.
First off, my husband accepted an offer in Al Ain Hospital as a consultant so we will be on his visa. There are 5 of us. Children are aged (at the time of move) 6, 4, 2. Currently they are in year 1, nursery, and home with me.

The agency has said we are looking to start work in March. I have looked over the contract and benefits and it looks good.

My big questions are: what is considered to be the best school and how difficult is it to get in and wait list times? What areas are best to live in? We are looking for a 4-6 bed villa with private pool for up to 190k AED and is that realistic to our price range? What is the second hand car market like and are insurance rates similar to the uk? Are there good calling plans (long distance or phone card) to the USA?

I am American (white) and my husband is Indian (we are all Muslim if that matters) do you see this kind of family in Al Ain - should I be even thinking about this?

We have been in the North West UK for 8 years and I'm ready for some sun!!

If anyone can answer any of my questions or add any advice I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZZS

If anyone can answer any of my questions or add any advice I would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks.
Being a US citizen, your tax situation will be a pain in the arse as there'll be no local taxes to reduce your uncle sam's calling. Be more hassle if you've not been filing while in the UK.

Welcome to BE though and good luck with the new adventure!
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:51 am
ZZS
Just Joined

Thanks. The tax situation is not a problem since I have never worked in the UK (I moved there while I was still in University) and I won't be working in AA. My husband has never lived in the USA either so no taxes due to Uncle Sam.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by ZZS
Hello all, I have a few questions and hoping I can get pointed in the right direction.
First off, my husband accepted an offer in Al Ain Hospital as a consultant so we will be on his visa. There are 5 of us. Children are aged (at the time of move) 6, 4, 2. Currently they are in year 1, nursery, and home with me.

The agency has said we are looking to start work in March. I have looked over the contract and benefits and it looks good.

My big questions are: what is considered to be the best school and how difficult is it to get in and wait list times? Which cirriculum do you want your children to follow? I hear good things about the primary school in AESS, and there is also a new school near Sarooj which would be worth a look.What areas are best to live in? Anywhere except the town centre is good, but a lot depends on where your kids end up going to school. Download google earth and have a good look at Al Ain, it is very big, but you will get a feel for where things are We are looking for a 4-6 bed villa with private pool for up to 190k AED and is that realistic to our price range?Yes What is the second hand car market like and are insurance rates similar to the uk?Plenty of second hand cars - depends what you are looking for. Check out dubizzle.com. We have bought 2 s/h cars privately, and had no problems Are there good calling plans (long distance or phone card) to the USA?afraid not, communications/internet etc are much more expensive than the UK

I am American (white) and my husband is Indian (we are all Muslim if that matters) do you see this kind of family in Al Ain - should I be even thinking about this? Al Ain and indeed the UAE are truly multicultural. You will see all nationalities here and mixed race marriages are not unusual. Your husband may experience some racism and discrimination here unfortunately.

Hope this helps, PM me for more detailed info. Good luck
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:28 am
ZZS
Just Joined

Thanks!
I have been looking at the AESS. It looks pretty good.

Currently they are in a GEMS owned school in the UK. I do like GEMS and saw they have a school called Our Own High School it has both a British and Indian curriculum. I'm not too sure about that one without having a tour and speaking to the head.

I would ideally like a USA curriculum but it doesn't seem like that is available. So then the bristish is my second choice.

Are the schools highly academic? Similar to the prep school they are in? What are the GCSC results like? (are there leauge tables I can look up some where?)

As for the racisicim is it much worse than the UK? It has been a bit hard going here, someone asking me if my children look like 'half-casts'. Not nice. Since we are UK passport holders and NHS trained (my husband) will that make any difference?

Thanks for all your info so far. It's just a lot if questions right now! But I'm sure you have all been in my shoes
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZZS
Thanks. The tax situation is not a problem since I have never worked in the UK (I moved there while I was still in University) and I won't be working in AA. My husband has never lived in the USA either so no taxes due to Uncle Sam.
It's still a good idea to be filing to the IRS, if you have plans on returning to the US as you'll need 3 years of tax returns to import the OH, even if no tax is due.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:38 am
Just Joined

UAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the roughUAE student is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ZZS

My big questions are: what is considered to be the best school and how difficult is it to get in and wait list times? What areas are best to live in? We are looking for a 4-6 bed villa with private pool for up to 190k AED and is that realistic to our price range? What is the second hand car market like and are insurance rates similar to the uk? Are there good calling plans (long distance or phone card) to the USA?

I am American (white) and my husband is Indian (we are all Muslim if that matters) do you see this kind of family in Al Ain - should I be even thinking about this?

Welcome to Alain city.

The people in Alain are friendly so you will feel as it's ur home, and also about the school I think they have already started. I would ask about this for you becasue I don't have any idea about they American school but the local school had started from the last week. About the villa there is a complex next to the hospital. if you have any question I will be more than happy to answer ur question.
About the plans the best company here is Etisalat and it's the same as at&t in the US.

I will ask for you about the villa. If you want anything in Alain feel free to ask.

I was born in Alain and I know everything here. BTW I'm a UAE citizen
Old Sep 18th 2011, 9:02 am
ZZS
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
It's still a good idea to be filing to the IRS, if you have plans on returning to the US as you'll need 3 years of tax returns to import the OH, even if no tax is due.
Thanks Bob. The tax issue is really a non issue. He has a green card sponsored on my parents income (because I was only 21 when we married and didn't make enough at the time). I really appreciate your advice though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.