Living in Al Ain

Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

LittleBit1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by sarahp1
hi all,

moved here on sunday and I am desperate to find some kind of childcare for the next three weeks, before my daughter starts school - I will worry about after school care closer to the time. I will be working 8:30 - 3 for the next three weeks, and as a single mum I have noone to look after my daughter. ANY advice, information, offers, would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks
Hi Sarahp1, if interested I would be more than glad to help you out for the next three weeks. I am currently on leave from my job b/c I am having a baby in Oct. If you are interested let me know and we can meet up.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

LittleBit1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GV-Austin
Whoops, sorry, meant to ask the price for secondary meals if you know it off hand. But that takes me to five posts anyway, so it's ok!
I think if I remember correctly that cheese sandwiches were three dirhams and they also had a falafal sandwich for 2.50 or three dirhams. They also offer chips and chocolate, not very well rounded! I know that they are taking the old hall and converting it into a cafeteria but it wasn't ready when I left for the summer, it may be an inshallah project! Busing is a headache and is contracted out to a private company, not the school. The owner of the company was planning on raising the prices for this year. If you have any questions about the secondary section of AAESS, I would love to pass on info.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can get sat tv here, and al the sport - and the rugby club shows some of it live too.

Originally Posted by emmac xx
Could cope for 3 months without the hubby, but not the kids! This is a question from my husband.... british sport on TV? Are there cable/ sat. channels available to watch british sport? No great loss to me if there isnt!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

oops - just one more thing - SKYPE - if I didnt download it before I came is there no chance that I could use it???
You need to find someone who has it on a stick, or if you have a laptop go to Dubai and download it there.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

hi all,

moved here on sunday and I am desperate to find some kind of childcare for the next three weeks, before my daughter starts school - I will worry about after school care closer to the time. I will be working 8:30 - 3 for the next three weeks, and as a single mum I have noone to look after my daughter. ANY advice, information, offers, would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks
If you are AAESS they have an after school program until 3pm - for Dhs10 a day - including a fruit snack and juice.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emptynester
I am moving into my new housing in Al Ain this weekend and am looking for moving sales. Please send me a pm if you have any household items for sale. I need just about everything
Thanks,
Emptynester
Have a friend just having to downsize, and needs to sell a few things, will tell her to pm you...
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Mand33 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your info on Manor Hall School - I will check them out

Thanks again
Old Aug 21st 2009, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Janine in Al Ain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - Regarding Moving Sale - we are moving to Abu Dhabi early next week and have lots of furniture, blinds, curtains, grass, trees, pavers, pergola, go-kart. All sorts you can contact me on 0503352418 if you would like to come and see. Thanks. Otherwise I have posted the items for sale on Niala News, (an Al Ain monthly newsletter that is written by a couple of ladies, that has all sorts of info happening in Al Ain) you can subscribe to it by sending a quick email to [email protected] and just ask to go on the mailing list.

Also regarding Manor Hall, The director used to be an American guy Rick Crain, not sure if he is still there or not, but he had very high hopes back last year of eventually competing with Al Ain English Speaking School for being the preferred school for Westerners. I haven't actually spoken to anyone who has had their children there, but back last year he raved about all the highly qualified British Teachers that he had managed to employ. I have heard that a lot of those teachers left, so it was very interesting to read that there isn't any native speaking teachers there as that paints a very different story to what I was told this time last year. They have all the facilities such as a pool and he told me there was a great library (didn't actually see it) and they had a petting zoo. Good luck with it though, would be interested to hear more.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:05 am
Just Joined

oops - just one more thing - SKYPE - if I didnt download it before I came is there no chance that I could use it???
Skype - you can still use it, but you have to download a Hotspot Shield first. Just google Hotspot shield download. some of these sites will also be blocked, but just keep going through them till one of them works. Once you download this you will then be able to download skype and use it as normal. If you are still having trouble, feel free to call me (I do the skype thing all the time). 050 3352418
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:25 am
Just Joined

traceymac30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kmann
Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can help me out with an insurance query. We're flying out to Al Ain on Monday and are trying to sort out travel insurance. We've already got health insurance (covered by my husband's employer) but need to have our belongings insured for the journey and our first few weeks in Al Ain until we manage to sort out contents insurance once we're over there. Have tried all the usual routes of enquiry but because we haven't got a return date we can't get normal travel insurance and every insurance broker I speak to doesn't seem to be able to help. What has everyone else done about this? Any help would be very welcome!
Couldn't be done from Australia when I moved here....maybe there is a way...good luck with it
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janine in Al Ain
Skype - you can still use it, but you have to download a Hotspot Shield first. Just google Hotspot shield download. some of these sites will also be blocked, but just keep going through them till one of them works. Once you download this you will then be able to download skype and use it as normal. If you are still having trouble, feel free to call me (I do the skype thing all the time). 050 3352418

This is not entirely true, perhaps it depends which country you are from or the country you download it. I had mine downloaded before I came to Al Ain and only started using a VPN because of difficulty with important websites we use in UK so again I will re-itterate PLEASE download it before you come to Al Ain it makes life so much easier.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
This is not entirely true, perhaps it depends which country you are from or the country you download it. I had mine downloaded before I came to Al Ain and only started using a VPN because of difficulty with important websites we use in UK so again I will re-itterate PLEASE download it before you come to Al Ain it makes life so much easier.
You are right, it does make it much easier if you download it before you arrive, however, I have had lots and lots of computer problems since I have been here and have had my computer reformated a few times, and I have had to reload everything - including skype and I have never had a problem if I download a hotspot shield first! I then only need to use the hotspot shield with skype if I am using my credit, making a call to a landline. For computer to computer calls, once skype is downloaded you don't need to use the hotspot shield.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

CaseBusy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plug sockets

do they use the same british 3 point plug in Dubai? or similar to US/Europe?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

CaseBusy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence

Could you rent a car with a british driver's licence?
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Plug sockets

Originally Posted by CaseBusy
do they use the same british 3 point plug in Dubai? or similar to US/Europe?
Plug points are square 3 point - like UK, however appliances come with the plug used in country of manufacture, so you get anything and everything. When you arrive buy lots of multi form adaptors!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.