Living in Al Ain

Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by irelandcalling
Hi
just missed coffee but will make it one day. Arrived yesterday to the Hilton and impressed so far. Do not know where we will be living yet. Thanks for all the info. hope to meet you all soon.
Coffee is this morning - Tuesday, at Cosi Al Jimi Mall 10 am. Shammy
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lawyergirl
hi - i'm stuck in limbo...sort of. Was supposed to arrive in Al-Ain on the 15th
but things have been delayed until later this week.

What I wanted to ask was whether it would make sense to wait till I get there
to get a laptop? Obviously if laptops are pricier, I'd rather just bring one with me.

The biggest concern is skype and internet access. If I don't purchase a laptop from here - would I be able to install Skype that has been downloaded onto a usb key when I am there? I've already arranged for a vpn but again can't seem to decide on getting a computer here in Canada or there.

thanks and those of you already there - hope its nice!!!
I know that Apple Laptops are cheaper in the USA than here, not sure how similar prices are USA to Canada but that may give you an idea. Ref skype, we have downloaded it from a stick, and it is fine. Many friends have been able to download skype in Dubai, but not in Abu Dhabi Emirate - so if you have a laptop, and the stick doesn't work, you can take it to Dubai with you and download it there.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

CaseBusy is an unknown quantity at this point

Would anyone happen to know if a game console such as a ninendo wii purchased in the uk, would work in UAE?

Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emptynester
That's excellent news. I just got my VPN set up and am looking forward to freer access.
I've downloaded skype on to my laptop. But never heard of setting up a VPN address is it purely to get round blocked sites? Also how do you get one? Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Default Purchasing a car

In order ro purchase a car do you need to have a resident visa? In order to do that i heard you need a blood test, getting the results would take 4-6 weeks......that true?
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaseBusy
Would anyone happen to know if a game console such as a ninendo wii purchased in the uk, would work in UAE?

Cheers
I bought a Nintendo DS in Al Ain and it doesnt work in UK but not sure if it is the same the other way round
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

I've downloaded skype on to my laptop. But never heard of setting up a VPN address is it purely to get round blocked sites? Also how do you get one? Cheers
Just go on the internet and do a search for a reputable one. There are lots of free ones but they are hit and miss sometimes. Mine is GBP10 a month direct debit and is excellent for banking and yes sites which are not normally available otherwise
Old Aug 19th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Purchasing a car

In order ro purchase a car do you need to have a resident visa? In order to do that i heard you need a blood test, getting the results would take 4-6 weeks......that true?
You cant do anything without a residency visa, you can hire a car until then, but applying for it you have to have a blood test and chest x ray which the results are in in a couple of days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Purchasing a car

You are not allowed to drive your own car whilst on a tourist visa, you can drive a hire car, which we hired on our first day - they do monthly rates which are pretty good. The medical tests for the visa take 1 - 2 days for the results, however there are several other facets to getting the visa. I would advise that you allow yourself a month or two of hiring a car, which will allow you to find a car and purchase it, and get your UAE driving license. You cannot drive any car on an international or foreign license once you are a resident. To this end be aware that the day or two it will take you to get your licenses once a resident, you will not be able to drive any cars legally. We staggered the process so we could cover each other!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:00 am
Just Joined

kmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I wonder if someone can help me out with an insurance query. We're flying out to Al Ain on Monday and are trying to sort out travel insurance. We've already got health insurance (covered by my husband's employer) but need to have our belongings insured for the journey and our first few weeks in Al Ain until we manage to sort out contents insurance once we're over there. Have tried all the usual routes of enquiry but because we haven't got a return date we can't get normal travel insurance and every insurance broker I speak to doesn't seem to be able to help. What has everyone else done about this? Any help would be very welcome!
Old Aug 19th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

It would be probably cheaper to buy a one return trip insurance cover. I have just done one for my daughter through the Post Office (pressuming you are in UK). Have a look it might be enough until you get to Al Ain. When you are in Al Ain I think you can get contents insurance through someone like Axa through HSBC. Sorry I cant help any more as I am not in Al Ain for a little while.
Old Aug 19th 2009, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice

Cheers
Yes. We bought a Nintendo wii in Uk and it works fine here. Just have to make sure you get PAL games and accessories and not US version
Old Aug 19th 2009, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

emmac xx is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Living in Al Ain

Hi, Im Emma and Im currently applying for nursing jobs in Al Ain. I had a telephone interview with the Al Ain but was a bit gutted when they told me I wouldnt be able to bring Husband and daughters age 2 and 7 for probation period (I couldnt leave them back in the UK ) so it was back to the drawing board and I have an interview with the Oasis Hospital later in the month. I wondered if anyone has any experience or knowledge of the oasis hospital, also if anyone has secured a job at the Al Ain and were allowed to bring their family from day 1?
As keen as I am to come to the middle east, obviously it cannot be to the detriment of my little girls!! I have read practically every page of this thread.... i really want to come! Also at home in the UK my h'band is a builder and plasterer, Im getting the impression from previous entries that this is very poorly paid in UAE, any UK expats with experience of this. Do you think he would be able to find alternative employment without degree/ higher education? He would try anything really I think. Look forward to your reply, regards, emma x
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emmac xx
Hi, Im Emma and Im currently applying for nursing jobs in Al Ain. I had a telephone interview with the Al Ain but was a bit gutted when they told me I wouldnt be able to bring Husband and daughters age 2 and 7 for probation period (I couldnt leave them back in the UK ) so it was back to the drawing board and I have an interview with the Oasis Hospital later in the month. I wondered if anyone has any experience or knowledge of the oasis hospital, also if anyone has secured a job at the Al Ain and were allowed to bring their family from day 1?
As keen as I am to come to the middle east, obviously it cannot be to the detriment of my little girls!! I have read practically every page of this thread.... i really want to come! Also at home in the UK my h'band is a builder and plasterer, Im getting the impression from previous entries that this is very poorly paid in UAE, any UK expats with experience of this. Do you think he would be able to find alternative employment without degree/ higher education? He would try anything really I think. Look forward to your reply, regards, emma x
Hi Emma,
Not having the family with you for the probation period is fairly normal here, my husband was here for 3 months before we arrived. Must say that it worked out pretty well. He had the house, a car, and a good idea of living here sorted out by the time we all arrived. That does depend on the probation period - ours was 3 months, which was not a problem! In our experience not having to drag the kids around everywhere was a bonus! Ref your husband I will PM you - you will need to post a few more times to get the PM!! Shammy
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:49 am
Just Joined

emmac xx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shammy
Hi Emma,
Not having the family with you for the probation period is fairly normal here, my husband was here for 3 months before we arrived. Must say that it worked out pretty well. He had the house, a car, and a good idea of living here sorted out by the time we all arrived. That does depend on the probation period - ours was 3 months, which was not a problem! In our experience not having to drag the kids around everywhere was a bonus! Ref your husband I will PM you - you will need to post a few more times to get the PM!! Shammy
Thanks Shammy, I fully understand what your saying, a couple of weeks would probably be bliss, not sure how my 7 year old would cope, the 2 year old probs. wouldnt even notice!! The Oasis will take us all )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.