British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Living in Al Ain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/living-al-ain-457411/)

Amazing Grace Jul 28th 2009 10:57 am

Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by HELEN44 (Post 7790786)
So sorry but I'm so new, I don't know how to send you a private message.

Thanks

Hi Helen

If you click on the user name (ie Amazing Grace) it will come up with a choice so then click on send a private message to me and away you go. I will send you one back and you will hopefully get a notification on the top right hand corner of the page,:thumbup:

valeboy Jul 28th 2009 10:59 am

Originally Posted by HELEN44 (Post 7790786)
So sorry but I'm so new, I don't know how to send you a private message.

Thanks

Sorry I'm a newby two, think I'm just coming over with my suitcases and rock and roll from there.

I think it depends on where you are shipping from as to how long it takes etc.

Amazing Grace Jul 28th 2009 11:03 am

Best thing to do is ring up and get numerous quotes from companies in your home town, they will then come look at the belongings being shipped and give you a quote with insurance so let them pack and you will be covered for breakages. The company of your choice will then liaise with a local company who will take over this side for customs clearance etc and then deliver to your home. Air freight is quicker but expensive so the normal route would be sea and then probably 3 or 4 weeks approx.

Bluelionesse Jul 28th 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by brendon2001ad (Post 7790743)
I was wondering whether anyone could offer any advice on what to look for when making shipping arrangements. I have looked online at the different companies but does anyone have any recommendations or experiences regards companies or methods to ship from UK?

We moved here in June and used pickfords groupage, sent 300cubic feet of stuff (personal effects, only 2 small pieces of furniture and a bike). They were good, consignment arrived on time with only very minor damage to a couple of things. Packing crew were clean, respectful, polite, and knew what they were doing. We were quoted 7-11 weeks from time of pick up in Aberdeenshire, it arrived in 9.5 weeks. The only thing they didnt include in their quote, and this wasn't clear, was a "close inspection fee" by UAE customs, but this was only 235DHS. And none of the boxes were opened. And none of the books, cds and dvds were delayed by the censor! Pickfords were the cheapest, but not by much, maybe £100 cheaper for the consignment - we made the decision based on the service we got when we asked for a quotation.

irelandcalling Jul 29th 2009 9:37 am

Hi

heading out in two weeks with my family. Does anybody know do we need to get innoculations or not. Does not look like it but want to know for sure.

thanks

Amazing Grace Jul 29th 2009 9:39 am

Make sure your tetanus is up to date and maybe Hep C but nothing else. You will have to have a blood test and chest x ray when you apply for your residence but other than that nothing else.

Bluelionesse Jul 29th 2009 9:41 am

Originally Posted by irelandcalling (Post 7793966)
Hi

heading out in two weeks with my family. Does anybody know do we need to get innoculations or not. Does not look like it but want to know for sure.

thanks

We visited our local medical practise to get a copy of our vaccination records, at the same time we checked that we were up to date with them - as it happens we weren't - ouch!

Chica88 Jul 29th 2009 4:57 pm

2 weeks to go - so much to do - am really nervous!!! Just hope I meet other single people who are there out with the SSAT and beyond!! Really worried about making friends!! Other than that, can't wait!!

oivay Jul 29th 2009 7:06 pm

[]Make sure your tetanus is up to date and maybe Hep C but nothing else.

I have no idea why you would need Hep C. Hep A and B are the recommended vaccinations.

Reading the local papers you may be forced to have the swine flu vaccine in September..... if they actually are able to produce one by then.

Enjoy Al Ain and the Emirates it is a great life here.

Oi

oivay Jul 29th 2009 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by HELEN44 (Post 7785875)
Hi there,
I can see that you know all about Al Ain. I'm about, hopefully, to accept a Primary teaching post, but as I'm in my early fifties and not an experienced traveller, what advice would you give me? On 11000 dhs, could I afford a life and save a little. Many thanks

11 000 is the top salary at the british school. The teachers seem to be able to travel, dine out, afford a good life on that amount. They receive housing and travel with that, I believe. i am unsure what their medical coverage and such is however.

Oi

po300 Jul 29th 2009 10:02 pm

my husband has been offered post university package is 12845, per month which includes acc is this good package. 30 days hol. says single, shared acc or 2,000aed. flight home and health ins for my husband will we be able to include this for the 3 of us?.

what acc can you get for 2,000 ect

my hubby trying to renogotiate package as it will be less than he is on here plus less holidays and inc acc.

what is acc like at uni in al ain.

plus how much fees for nursery.

any info will be grateful

thanks pauline

larnie Jul 29th 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Chica88 (Post 7795324)
2 weeks to go - so much to do - am really nervous!!! Just hope I meet other single people who are there out with the SSAT and beyond!! Really worried about making friends!! Other than that, can't wait!!

Making friends should be the least of your worries, it is a piece of cake. Everyone is in the same boat and are keen to make new friends so just chill out and enjoy the experience.

Amazing Grace Jul 30th 2009 5:43 am

Originally Posted by oivay (Post 7795645)
11 000 is the top salary at the british school. The teachers seem to be able to travel, dine out, afford a good life on that amount. They receive housing and travel with that, I believe. i am unsure what their medical coverage and such is however.

Oi

Its not Al Ain

Mand33 Jul 30th 2009 6:36 pm

Hi

Am another newbie and would be very grateful for some advice. I am looking for a good primary and secondary school, preferably British curriculum. I have heard about AAESS, Chouefat and the Emirates National School and am wondering which one anyone could recommend based on experience?

Thank you in advance

Aikman7981 Jul 30th 2009 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by po300 (Post 7796171)
my husband has been offered post university package is 12845, per month which includes acc is this good package. 30 days hol. says single, shared acc or 2,000aed. flight home and health ins for my husband will we be able to include this for the 3 of us?.

what acc can you get for 2,000 ect

my hubby trying to renogotiate package as it will be less than he is on here plus less holidays and inc acc.

what is acc like at uni in al ain.

plus how much fees for nursery.

any info will be grateful

thanks pauline

Sorry, I don't think that is enough for anymore than one person. Accomodation runs annually or bi-annually and there will be nothing for less than 5000 monthly if even then. Life is VERY expensive here. By the time you've paid for health ins for the extra 2 and a car there won't be much left. Nursery fees also tend to be quite expensive although I'm at a loss for numbers. Cost of living here is probably similar to the most expensive city you can think of, in my case it's Honolulu. If health and accomodation were good for all of you it might work. Maybe someone else will have a sunnier outlook. Best of luck!