Living in Al Ain

Old May 10th 2011, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by illujenz
I always wondered what al ain was like.
quiet but has all you need and full of lunatic drivers... Start on Camel and then progress to Mercedez CL65 AMG and thats before they hit 19 and God help you if you see a 4x4 flashing its lights at your arse. Be a pain and slow down forcing them to keep to the limit. you can have some great driving games, how to wind someone whos only goal in life is to drink at Starbucks and wear sunglasses in doors whilest talking on 2 phones. then of course there are the personal drivers that think they are local but really shouldn't of even been shown a car.
Get shot of the round abouts as no one here knows how to turn the bloody wheel and keep in lane... then again what lanes..

Rant over... it's been a stresfull AA day
Old May 10th 2011, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

made in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nice

Originally Posted by JB22
quiet but has all you need and full of lunatic drivers... Start on Camel and then progress to Mercedez CL65 AMG and thats before they hit 19 and God help you if you see a 4x4 flashing its lights at your arse. Be a pain and slow down forcing them to keep to the limit. you can have some great driving games, how to wind someone whos only goal in life is to drink at Starbucks and wear sunglasses in doors whilest talking on 2 phones. then of course there are the personal drivers that think they are local but really shouldn't of even been shown a car.
Get shot of the round abouts as no one here knows how to turn the bloody wheel and keep in lane... then again what lanes..

Rant over... it's been a stresfull AA day
I personally find Al Ain a lovely place, full of history and local culture but not too far away from the glitz of Dubai or Abu dhabi, the best of both worlds in my opinion, scratch beneath the surface and there is lots to do here. Sure the driving is certainly a different mentality, but that's not isolated to Al Ain it's like that all over the UAE in my experience. As for the people who wear the sunglasses in doors whilst talking on two mobile phones, again spend some time talking and interacting with them and you'll find that the vast majority are really nice people.
Old May 11th 2011, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

elly74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gseany
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but know how helpful they can be! I have an interview for a job with STRATA in Al Ain and was wondering if there was anyone out there who works for the company, and what they are like to work for? Also my wife is a little worried about what there will be there for her to do? Are there any clubs or activities? We are mid 40's minus kids (they've flown the nest!) so don't have the school run to be able to meet people. Also has anyone shipped a dog out there? Any info would be much appreciated!
Hi gseany!
I'm new in this forum...I'm Italian and I'm just looking around here to learn a little about Al Ain.
My husband his currently attending inteviews for a job proposal with Stata too...you were successful? Are you working there? I would be
more than happy to talk with you...perhaps with PM.
We are 35...2 daughters and a dog! :-)
Old May 15th 2011, 2:14 am
Just Joined

redrighthunter is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very interested in finding out what the live music is like in Al Ain. If you have some knowledge of it, feel free to write me a PM!
Old May 15th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by made in manchester
I personally find Al Ain a lovely place, full of history and local culture but not too far away from the glitz of Dubai or Abu dhabi, the best of both worlds in my opinion, scratch beneath the surface and there is lots to do here. Sure the driving is certainly a different mentality, but that's not isolated to Al Ain it's like that all over the UAE in my experience. As for the people who wear the sunglasses in doors whilst talking on two mobile phones, again spend some time talking and interacting with them and you'll find that the vast majority are really nice people.
Nice positive post! Thank you!
Old May 15th 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

missyuae is an unknown quantity at this point

For people looking for schools in Al Ain:

Al Ain English Speaking School - English National Curriculum school from Nursery (age 3) to Year 12. Many expats send their children to this school.

Al Ain International School - English National Curriculum. Nursery to Year 5; Year 6 from next year. This is a new school and will be opening in September. It is run by Aldar (they have several schools in Abu Dhabi with good repuations - eg Al Yasmina, The Pearl, Al Muna).

Chouiefat - I don't know much about this school, but think it goes from Nursery to Year 12. My impession is that it is very assessment-oriented, with little attention to individual learning needs, extra-curricular activities, etc. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken!

There are of course other schools here, but these are the three that I have experience of (or, in the case of Chouiefat, have heard people speak of - both positively and not-so positively).
Old May 16th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

dagwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Has anyone any experience of the Global English School in Al Ain
Old May 19th 2011, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Does anyone know where the Emirates ID office is?
Old May 19th 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Emirates ID place. Opposite Jimi mall, you'll see lots of govt look buildings. Follow the side roads and you will find it there.
Old May 24th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

John7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larnie
I am living in Al Ain. Have been here 2 weeks and will probably be here for three years. My husband is working on the University extension. We are living at the Intercontinental at the moment Is there anyone out there who is also living here who might be interested in a coffee and a chat sometime.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

PS: I am a Kiwi
I have lived in Al Ain for 6 years, I consider it a clean, quiet , it is considered to be a big garden, most importantly no traffic
Old May 24th 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by made in manchester
I'm not saying I don't like living in al ain I actually love it here as you do not get the manic ways of the two main cities I have made loads of good friends since being here as its a small expat community its just some days you just wish certain people would be more polite and the driving more controlled. I love al ain ..........
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:15 am
tlh
Al Ain Expat

tlh is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed, Al Ain is a real gem. Everytime I go to Dubai, I am reminded how wonderful it is in Al Ain.

On another note, we are soon to leave for the USA and then Germany. Thus, we have a lot of stuff for sale. The list is located here:

Items for sale.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

elly74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everybody,
while we are considering our move from Italy to Al Ain your experience is so precious for us!
Can I ask you to give me some advises?
We are a family of 4 people and 1 4 paws (our 2 daughters are 5 years old and the dog is only 4kgs).

I was wondering if you could give us some ideas to understand if the offer my husband received is good enough.

- How much we should consider it would be the expenses related to services (water/electricity/TV/Internet connection...) and in general, which the cost of life per month? Have you got an idea? How much it cost the club at the hotel?

- the two schools we are looking for the girls are in different districts of the city one in the popular "schools road" the AAESS and the other is the new one in Al Sarooj: Al Ain International School...so, different parts of the city.... which would be the best choice of district to live? Can you please help us understand if it's better to live close to the hotels to have the opportunity to use the swimming pool/gym or it is too crowded that area....

Where is located Al Shuaiba? I can't find it in the Al Ain map...

My husband job will be close to the airport...

Sorry for all the questions!

I really rely on your kind help! Thank you all!!

Elena
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

khalidmajid72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dagwood
Hi,
Has anyone any experience of the Global English School in Al Ain
hi....my sons go to GES. Four of them. if u have any questions just shoot away.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

khalidmajid72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elly74
Hello everybody,
while we are considering our move from Italy to Al Ain your experience is so precious for us!
Can I ask you to give me some advises?
hi elly74,

we're relatively new in al ain....we've been here for about 8 months.

We are a family of 4 people and 1 4 paws (our 2 daughters are 5 years old and the dog is only 4kgs).

I was wondering if you could give us some ideas to understand if the offer my husband received is good enough.
we're a big family....there's 8 of us.....me, my wife and 6 boys....

How much we should consider it would be the expenses related to services (water/electricity/TV/Internet connection...) and in general, which the cost of life per month? Have you got an idea? How much it cost the club at the hotel?
utility bills - we spend about 250-300 monthly on water and electricity. actually 50 on water , the rest on electricity. it's gonna increase as it's gonna get hotter as summer is here. internet provider is etisalat. they have a package for phone lines, internet and cable tv. we just take the internet as we don't watch tv much but can't live without internet. if you take all three gonna be about 500 per month.

food - we spend about 4000 per month on food as we're a big family...you might spend half of that.

i hv no idea about the club.

- the two schools we are looking for the girls are in different districts of the city one in the popular "schools road" the AAESS and the other is the new one in Al Sarooj: Al Ain International School...so, different parts of the city.... which would be the best choice of district to live? Can you please help us understand if it's better to live close to the hotels to have the opportunity to use the swimming pool/gym or it is too crowded that area....
my kids go to Global English School. four of them. it's cost us about 50k for the whole year. but the employer pays for that. normally the school can arrange for transport but thats extra. i think the traffic is quite heavy in school area in the morning so if they're in diff district gonna be quite a hustle.

Where is located Al Shuaiba? I can't find it in the Al Ain map...

My husband job will be close to the airport...

Sorry for all the questions!

I really rely on your kind help! Thank you all!!

Elena
try google it...i hv friends working near the airport and they stay in al sarooj area.

hopefully that helps, if you wanna ask anything just ask.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.