Living in Al Ain

Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nintendo DS Lite Repairs

Hi, Does anyone know anywhere in Al Ain where I can get a Nintendo DS repaired? Thanks.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by GatehouseFamily
Hi,

Can anyone recommend an opthamologist/optician to get your child's eyes tested.............mine is squinting at things!

Thanks!
Hey, There is a fab optician opposite Q Home Design in Al Ain Mall. I had to take the squinty one of mine to the hospital as she is astigmatic. That's because they have to put drops in their eyes to measure them properly if they think its an astigmatism. The opthamologist in Al Ain Hospital was VERY good and the whole process only took around 2 hours! I think start with the one in Al Ain Mall. If they suspect an astigmatism, they will send her to the hospital. x
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Human_Being is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie Questions....How long to come for, and how do you furnish?

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
There are no standalone holiday rentals here, however there are hotel apartments, such as the Al Massa which have two sites here in Al Ain. http://www.almasahotels.com/.

there is an active homeschooling group in Al Ain which offers park get-togethers,

keep a watch out on the jobs section of Gulfnews.com, or Monster Middle East.
Thanks so much for the useful tips! We will want to join the homeschool group, and will look into those apartments.

I am surprised actually to hear there are not loads of software jobs, it seems there are always software jobs!
Old Apr 24th 2011, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

Hi all. Is there a place where you can buy cheap used computer equipment here? I am looking for a used laster printer that will do the job.

Many thanks,
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

gerra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mathematist
Hi all. Is there a place where you can buy cheap used computer equipment here? I am looking for a used laster printer that will do the job.

Many thanks,
Hi we have a laser printer Samsung Monochrome Laser Multifunction for sale if you are interested.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living in Al Ain/Dentist Reccomendations

Can anyone recommend a good dentist in al ain?(irrespective of nationality)
Old May 9th 2011, 8:00 am
Just Joined

brumdoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stokie Family
Hi

We are a family (3 kids) from the midlands, my husband is going through the interview process at the hospital and we have been invited to have a visit for 4 days before we accept the job. Is there anybody who would be prepared to answer questions for me?

When we are out for the visit, would a family be willing to meet up so we can pick their brains?

Which is the best school for english ex-pats?

Where is the best place to live ( cost not an issue), I would like to live in a compound/ community? Need large family home.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks

Hi,

This is my first post after reading all these pages. Did you get help in helping you answer the questions you had. I am looking to visit soon as well, with a view to relocating and have very similar queries.

cheers
Old May 9th 2011, 8:05 am
Just Joined

How easy is it to travel to Dubai or AD. Is it something that can be done on an evening.

Is AESS the best option for schooling 8 & 5 yr old?

Are there theatres/cinemas around? Do children who move generally feel positive about the move?

How easy is it to find a good villa? I hear it can take quite a while.

cheers
Old May 9th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by brumdoc
How easy is it to travel to Dubai or AD. Is it something that can be done on an evening.

Are there theatres/cinemas around? Do children who move generally feel positive about the move?

cheers
Hi you can get to downtown Dubai from the middle of Al Ain in about 1 hour 20 minutes, Abu dhabi maybe 20 minutes longer. Can be done in an evening, but it will be a late journey home. They have been improving the DXB-AA road for 3 years now, it's almost complete and that will make the drive very smooth and quite easy once you get out of the city. The route is streetlit all the way.

Can't help you with the schooling and young kids. There are cinemas at the Al Ain Mall, also Bawadi Mall and the Rotana Hotel.

There has been a downturn in the property market and I would say it is now easy and quick to get a villa - you can do this as soon as your residency visa comes through.

Good Luck
Old May 9th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Hi you can get to downtown Dubai from the middle of Al Ain in about 1 hour 20 minutes, Abu dhabi maybe 20 minutes longer. Can be done in an evening, but it will be a late journey home. They have been improving the DXB-AA road for 3 years now, it's almost complete and that will make the drive very smooth and quite easy once you get out of the city. The route is streetlit all the way.

Can't help you with the schooling and young kids. There are cinemas at the Al Ain Mall, also Bawadi Mall and the Rotana Hotel.

There has been a downturn in the property market and I would say it is now easy and quick to get a villa - you can do this as soon as your residency visa comes through.

Good Luck
Thank you.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

ainian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nintendo DS Lite Repairs

Originally Posted by UkMum
Hi, Does anyone know anywhere in Al Ain where I can get a Nintendo DS repaired? Thanks.
In Al Ain Mall foodcourt there is a stand I believe is called Sindbad. Across from Dr. Nutrition. They once told me they can fix a Nintendo DS for 50 dirham.
Old May 10th 2011, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

redheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brumdoc

cheers
may l enquire as to which hospital your husband is interviewing for?
Old May 10th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie Questions....How long to come for, and how do you furnish?

It is very rare to find fully furnished in AA and if so its not cheap. Housing in general is ex[ensive in AA as the Landlords are still being greedy from he Dubai gold rush however I have noticed things starting to drop and there are a lot more being built everyday. Decide what youe budget is first. Do you keep what you don't spend therfore be clever about what you get, if not then blow the lot on a castle. You will be shown some amazingly huge places compared to UK sizes but don't get too overwhelmed by them as you'll end up spending the rest of your time here trying to bloody furnish the places. Any more info PM me...
Old May 10th 2011, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gseany
Thanks for the info, the wifey is just a bit worried that she is going to be stuck at home all day with nothing to do and nowhere to go!
If your young and without kids stay away from AA unless of course you hate seeing people. The coffee morning are for the older gossips if you like that sort of thing otherwise move to Dubai. House prices are dropping like mad and there is so much choice now you can take your pick. The drive will soon be improved to about an hour I have been told and with the all the cameras now set to 20KPH over the 120KPH limit you can just hit cruise control and drink your coffee all the way. If you are planning on working near the airport the AA ring road is also soon to be completed linking directly onto the AA-DUB road improving the commute again. Also the build quality in AA is dismal no care or attention to anything but hey like the UAE as long as its big and shiny on the outside....
Old May 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

don't worry, the french school that is closing is a villa school, nothing to do with chouefait.
I am hearing more good things about Chouefait especially their requirement to test regularly and to discipline... There is also a new school opening by the Hilton hotel which is an off shoot from a school in AD and apparently is bringing someof its teachers with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.