Living in Al Ain

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:36 pm
tlh
Al Ain Expat

tlh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by scarab1
Hi all - new to the forum and hoping you can help.

My husband has accepted a job teaching with ADEC and we are moving to Al Ain in August from the US with our two teenage sons and are planning on being there for about four years. We are trying to decide whether to ship all our belongings (except for books, DVD's and pictures/artwork since we don't want to deal with customs ransacking it for 'banned' materials) or to take the furnished housing option and store everything here is the US.

The costs work out to be about the same but we do have a concern about abandoning our belongings if we had to leave Al Ain quickly for any odd reason. My parents had to leave everything in Saudi in the early 80's when they had 5 days to leave the country (long story!)

Anyone have any advice or comments on shipping vs storing?

thanks!
Shipping anything here is very expensive. We shipped several boxes from the US when came over 3 years ago. The shipment worked out to about 1 cubic meter and we paid $600 to send it from the US. Then, when the stuff arrived at the Jebel Ali port, the shipping company charged an additional 2500 AED to get it through customs for us. While I'm sure they saw a chance to steal from us newbies, make sure you have a price that is door to door and it is in writing - if that makes any difference.

All in all, I would take the furnished apartment which currently ADEC is using the units in Hili. The good news is they are new buildings. The bad news is they look like 1970's public housing in Chicago and have a beautiful view of the razor wire fence between Al Ain and Buraymi located across the street.

Relative to having to leave in a hurry, there is very little chance (essentially zero) that any kind of political uprising will occur. This country is just too well designed to ever have the kind of revolutions that are going on in the region these days. While the government is essentially run by a few royal families, they share the wealth with the citizens due to Sheikh Zayed's brilliant planning starting 40 years ago.

There is a good chance that you will decide to leave in a hurry however. The rumors are that about 1/3 of the LT's (licensed teachers) simply cannot take the way they are treated by ADEC and take off after they receive their first paycheck in late October. And, yes, I know that you are planning to arrive in August. Be prepared for some differences between what you were told by recruiters and what really happens.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

scarab1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tlh
Shipping anything here is very expensive. We shipped several boxes from the US when came over 3 years ago. The shipment worked out to about 1 cubic meter and we paid $600 to send it from the US. Then, when the stuff arrived at the Jebel Ali port, the shipping company charged an additional 2500 AED to get it through customs for us. While I'm sure they saw a chance to steal from us newbies, make sure you have a price that is door to door and it is in writing - if that makes any difference.

All in all, I would take the furnished apartment which currently ADEC is using the units in Hili. The good news is they are new buildings. The bad news is they look like 1970's public housing in Chicago and have a beautiful view of the razor wire fence between Al Ain and Buraymi located across the street.

Relative to having to leave in a hurry, there is very little chance (essentially zero) that any kind of political uprising will occur. This country is just too well designed to ever have the kind of revolutions that are going on in the region these days. While the government is essentially run by a few royal families, they share the wealth with the citizens due to Sheikh Zayed's brilliant planning starting 40 years ago.

There is a good chance that you will decide to leave in a hurry however. The rumors are that about 1/3 of the LT's (licensed teachers) simply cannot take the way they are treated by ADEC and take off after they receive their first paycheck in late October. And, yes, I know that you are planning to arrive in August. Be prepared for some differences between what you were told by recruiters and what really happens.
We do have a pretty reasonable quote door to door including moving into the accomodation in Al Ain but that's good to know.

Yikes on the way the teachers are treated though. In my husbands contract it says that he starts getting paid in August - from what you said, that isn't true? Can you point me in the direction of any more info on how the teachers are treated or an ADEC teacher forum? I've looked on here and can't seem to fins anything specfic, but I am new
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

We do have a pretty reasonable quote door to door including moving into the accomodation in Al Ain but that's good to know.

Yikes on the way the teachers are treated though. In my husbands contract it says that he starts getting paid in August - from what you said, that isn't true? Can you point me in the direction of any more info on how the teachers are treated or an ADEC teacher forum? I've looked on here and can't seem to fins anything specfic, but I am new
You could try looking and posting on the following: https://www.facebook.com/teachawayinc
Old Apr 4th 2011, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

made in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nicemade in manchester is just really nice

Does anybody know if there are any Badminton courts for public use here in Al-Ain ???
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

redheart is an unknown quantity at this point

leaving AA for Melbourne Australia. Can anybody recommend a freight shipping company in Al Ain?
Hopefully will only have all of our rugs, artwork, souvenirs and anything else we cant fit in our luggage to ship there.
cheers.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough
Default Swimming Pools for locals

Hi all. having checked out some local gyms for very cheap prices, are there any swimming pools the local emiratis use here in Al-Ain apart from the mubazzarah?

Cheers!
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point

just come with eyes wide open. its not saudi so don't worry about not shipping personal belongings just no booze and food as they can get excited about that but you can get everything you got back home here. AA is slower than D and AD but they aren't that far away for a weekend.
I am not a teacher but I do here that the teachers in the local schools are not treated as well plus they cannot even tell off the Local kids as they have the schools on their side. You'll enjpy it if yougo with the flow and not get worked up over the lack of urgency to get anything done "except planting flowers on round abouts" If your arrving in the summer beware it will be hot unless you are coming from Arizona as then the climate is very similiar.
if you plan is 4 years which is the norm 4 to 5 years for most then keep that in mind and enjoy the life, culture experience if not for you the kids but saying that there is really no culture here as the country is so new that it doesn't know what it wants to be yet,??enjoy
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Swimming Pools for locals

Originally Posted by mathematist
Hi all. having checked out some local gyms for very cheap prices, are there any swimming pools the local emiratis use here in Al-Ain apart from the mubazzarah?

Cheers!
Sorry don't know of any - the Al Ain Sports Clubs may have them but they are for Emiratis only.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tlh
I would like to know exactly how the end of service gratuity is calculated. Everything says you get 21 days per year of service. However, I cannot figure out how to calculate a day's pay. Do I take the monthly basic salary and divide by 30? Or, is it the number of working days per month? This will make a big difference. Has anyone any experience with this?
this can vary from company to company. basically it is calculated off your basic salary and not the top line made up with all the allowances. for example my company give you 1 months basic salary on leaving for every year served up to five years then it goes to 2 months up until 10 years served and then 3 months after 10 years. So 1 month serverd 1 months salary, 6 years served 7 months salary.... i think???
Old Apr 9th 2011, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Default Housing in Al Ain

just for all newbies looking at this site, if your getting a villa make sure the windows and doors seal tight otherwise you'll have sand everywhere when the wind kicks in like it did this week and earlier in the year.One down side of the desert is the sand......

good people to help you out here are Sandra and Emma from Al Ain Relocations. www.alainrelocations.com.

Help us out a lot and put up with our indecssions on finding the right home.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:37 pm
Banned

illujenz is an unknown quantity at this point

I always wondered what al ain was like.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by illujenz
I always wondered what al ain was like.
nothing like AD OR DUB. More locals here than you would see anywhere else.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tlh
For those asking about schools in Al Ain, we have a 14 year old son that has attended AAESS and Choueifat. Both schools have about the same prices and many of the same classes. Choueifat operates a more structured system with frequent testing that means your child will learn. Also, if your child will be going on to other schools or a college, Choueifat (Sabis) is well known world-wide while AAESS has one school in Al Ain.
chouefait or aaess... discuss I here aaess is ok up to secondary school but chouefait is strict and more routinewhich i like for my child. but is this the french school that is closing?
Old Apr 10th 2011, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by JB22
chouefait or aaess... discuss I here aaess is ok up to secondary school but chouefait is strict and more routinewhich i like for my child. but is this the french school that is closing?
don't worry, the french school that is closing is a villa school, nothing to do with chouefait.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

scarab1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have some technology questions that I was hoping someone might have an answer for....

- When we first fly into Abu Dhabi, is there any chance that the borders/customs officials will confiscate our ipods, Kindle, laptop and external hard drive? We are in the process of taking anything "controversial" off of them but we want to bring our music collection and family photos.

-I am looking into getting a VPN and have been looking at the Witopia Cloakbox so that we can have wireless internet in our flat. Anyone have any experience using the cloakbox? And again, if we bring this to UAE in our luggage is it going to get confiscated?

thanks!

Last edited by scarab1; Apr 11th 2011 at 12:43 pm. Reason: repeat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.