Living in Al Ain

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

JB22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by stenjo
This discussion forum is fascinating and is a lot to take in from everyone's different view and/or opinion.

Sorry to keep asking question after question but wondered if someone would be kind enough to answer the following

What is the typical salary / employment package made by employers
Our youngest is 3 and, in England, would start Nursery in September. Do UAE follow the same 'age system' for education as UK? Also if at Nursery what timetable would they normally follow? We have looked into the AAESS school, tried emailing and searched their website but cant find answers to the above.

A post or two more and the will let us PM!!
Look at Sunflower nursery as well for the younger ones. The times are better than the AAESS also the AAESS is the only real english speaking school in Al Ain and all the expats send their kids there so not much competition yet this might change with more people moving out here.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

haloola is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure about everyone else, but my package includes:

- relocation costs (flight, excess baggage plus sea freight allowance)
- healthcare
- accommodation allowance, paid in 6 month installments
- transport allowance
- furniture allowance, very helpfully paid monthly
- recreation allowance (enough for 1 night out in Dubai, haha!)
- accommodation and driver for 2 weeks after arrival (not long enough - cant rent until you have your residence visa, so count on needing money for a hotel for at least a couple of weeks extra)
- all fees associated with getting a visa
- one return flight per year
- 30 days holiday

think that's the major things! Cant help with schools but think most employers pay a percentage of fees up to a certain no of children. or something like that.

btw, you'll find alot more info on this kind of stuff in the general ME forum rather than the Al Ain thread.

good luck!

Originally Posted by stenjo
This discussion forum is fascinating and is a lot to take in from everyone's different view and/or opinion.

Sorry to keep asking question after question but wondered if someone would be kind enough to answer the following

What is the typical salary / employment package made by employers
Our youngest is 3 and, in England, would start Nursery in September. Do UAE follow the same 'age system' for education as UK? Also if at Nursery what timetable would they normally follow? We have looked into the AAESS school, tried emailing and searched their website but cant find answers to the above.

A post or two more and the will let us PM!!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by haloola

- healthcare
- transport allowance
- accommodation and driver for 2 weeks after arrival (not long enough - cant rent until you have your residence visa, so count on needing money for a hotel for at least a couple of weeks extra)
- 30 days holiday

think that's the major things! Cant help with schools but think most employers pay a percentage of fees up to a certain no of children. or something like that.

btw, you'll find alot more info on this kind of stuff in the general ME forum rather than the Al Ain thread.

good luck!
Yes you can rent with out the visa as long as you have a 30 day holiday visa. go down to eurocar in saniya and tell them who you work for and you may get a good deal. But remember once you get your visa you must get a UAE licence as the UK one is then void. I have a nissan sunny with all insurance and excess waivered for 2000dhs a month.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JB22
Yes you can rent with out the visa as long as you have a 30 day holiday visa. go down to eurocar in saniya and tell them who you work for and you may get a good deal. But remember once you get your visa you must get a UAE licence as the UK one is then void. I have a nissan sunny with all insurance and excess waivered for 2000dhs a month.
Sorry meant you cant rent an apartment without a visa, not the car. My employers had my passport from the beginning in order to get my visa, so I got my residence visa before I got my UAE driving license, and couldnt get my driving license until I'd applied for my ID card So relied on taxis a bit longer than I had to, but was a bit scared of driving anyway to start with

Do u mean Europcar? I got mine there in the end - 1900 a month but with an excess. Brand new car though. One of the local guys wanted 2400 a month with a 500 excess! Thought they'd be cheaper too. So, worth shopping around.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry meant you cant rent an apartment without a visa, not the car. My employers had my passport from the beginning in order to get my visa, so I got my residence visa before I got my UAE driving license, and couldnt get my driving license until I'd applied for my ID card So relied on taxis a bit longer than I had to, but was a bit scared of driving anyway to start with

Do u mean Europcar? I got mine there in the end - 1900 a month but with an excess. Brand new car though. One of the local guys wanted 2400 a month with a 500 excess! Thought they'd be cheaper too. So, worth shopping around.
yes thats the car place. nice new nissan sunny, well it was a month ago the speed bumps have killed it.
found the spinneys door tonight.. nice cold grolsch.... umm
Old Nov 30th 2010, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Becci_Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any contacts / details of packing/moving services. Or just wholesale packaging supplies - boxes/wrapping/tape etc.

Any help gratefully received. Thank you

Last edited by Becci_Neil; Nov 30th 2010 at 4:35 am.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:32 am
Just Joined

madiha is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know about the pediatrician (prefer american)in AL AIN or any medician to stop dyreia?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

aberdeensiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know of a removal company in Al Ain to go to Dubai at short notice!
Old Dec 16th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JB22
yes thats the car place. nice new nissan sunny, well it was a month ago the speed bumps have killed it.
found the spinneys door tonight.. nice cold grolsch.... umm
Yay, I finally found that door too! Good job too, because I dont enjoy driving round Sanaiya I must say! I saw they had a application form for an alcohol license on the notice board - does anyone bother with those?
Old Dec 17th 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

mamijaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new to this forum. just got a teaching position in Al Ain to start in Jan 2011. My package is similar to Haloola. Just needing some advice as to how much to carry with me. will employers pay the relocation costs up front if i am tight for money? I realise I may be put to stay at the HIlton. for how long? what sort of accomodation is given to a family of 3? 2 adults & a 13 year old? I got the teaching job, my husband is staying behind until my son sees the year out. Will that affect their entry visa? DO i have to go to the UAE embassy here in London for any other thing aprt from stamping my docs? sorry for so many questions. just beginning to be bewildered with it all. But am looking forward to leaving behind the London bitter cold for warmer shores. thanks for any help/ advice received.

- healthcare
- transport allowance
- 30 days holiday

good luck!
Old Dec 18th 2010, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

ozkingy is on a distinguished road

Yay, I finally found that door too! Good job too, because I dont enjoy driving round Sanaiya I must say! I saw they had a application form for an alcohol license on the notice board - does anyone bother with those?
Yes, everyone has an alcohol licence who purchases alcohol at the Al Ain stores. Why would you infer on a PUBLIC bulletin board that you would not need one?
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by mamijaka
Hi, I am new to this forum. just got a teaching position in Al Ain to start in Jan 2011. My package is similar to Haloola. Just needing some advice as to how much to carry with me. will employers pay the relocation costs up front if i am tight for money? I realise I may be put to stay at the HIlton. for how long? what sort of accomodation is given to a family of 3? 2 adults & a 13 year old? I got the teaching job, my husband is staying behind until my son sees the year out. Will that affect their entry visa? DO i have to go to the UAE embassy here in London for any other thing aprt from stamping my docs? sorry for so many questions. just beginning to be bewildered with it all. But am looking forward to leaving behind the London bitter cold for warmer shores. thanks for any help/ advice received.
Somne of these things depend on your employers - who are they?

It's ok for your husband and son to come along later if it is you who are going to be attending to the paperwork and paying the sponsorship costs.

Try to bump up your posts to 5 so people can send you private messages - you can do this by commenting on social stuff on the "sandpit" part of the board.
Old Dec 18th 2010, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

mamijaka is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, then. thanks for your reply. where do I find teh sandpit part??? I have been My employer is SSAT, and Teachaway were my initial recruiters. Let me see if can find the thread yoy have mentioned. thanks again
Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Somne of these things depend on your employers - who are they?

It's ok for your husband and son to come along later if it is you who are going to be attending to the paperwork and paying the sponsorship costs.

Try to bump up your posts to 5 so people can send you private messages - you can do this by commenting on social stuff on the "sandpit" part of the board.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 11:58 am
VMH
Just Joined

VMH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All:

Can anyone recommend an expat service in Al Ain for assistance with relocation, housing, car hire/rental, etc?

Thank you
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:18 am
Just Joined

gfrafters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl
Does anyone know of a removal company in Al Ain to go to Dubai at short notice!
Hi, also moving to Dubai, can you or anyone else recommend a moving firm who can move me within a week, thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.