Living in Al Ain

Old May 10th 2010, 11:59 am
Just Joined

The Big Ring is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by Little_Lady_V
Hi,
Could anyone give me a rough estimate for a taxi ride to/from Abu Dhabi? Are certain times/days more expensive? Any recommendations for taxi companies in Al Ain would be great.
Thanks,
V
Hi there. Last Saturday we returned from the Inter-Continental to Abu Dhabi airport and it was just over 200Dhs. Journey took about 1hr 45mins without any speeding (that I noticed). Left hotel and 12 noon and roads were very quiet all the way.
p.s. It was a standard non-hotel taxi (they were twice the price) and I noticed that fare rate is 1 Dhs per km for the first 50km and 1.5Dhs per km thereafter. Min fee 3Dhs
Really cheap compared to the UK.
Old May 10th 2010, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

love2teach is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Living in Al Ain

Hello all - I am so pleased to find this fantastic thread! I have just been offered a teaching post in Al Ain and am very excited.

I have a few questions that I am hoping will get answered here:

- Is 11,000 per month (plus housing, flights and so on) enough for a family of 3 to have a good standard of living? Could we travel a little and enjoy a healthy social life - and maybe send a little home?
- How much does it cost to join the Hilton hotel (that I keep reading about here)?
- What would you say are the best things about raising young children in Al Ain?

Your thoughts would be really appreciated
Old May 11th 2010, 6:22 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

TESOL Course in Al Ain

I am considering doing a TESOL Course and perhaps teaching English. I know there is a company which runs a course here but I can't seem to find out anything. I found a company called Wood James out of Dubai who appear to run courses here but I can't seem to get in touch with them. The phone number on the web site is no longer in use and they don't respond to emails. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Big Ring
First post folks - I am getting very close to a job offer in Al Ain. My wife and I spent a week there after my assessment to ensure we would be happy in the area - and we will be - it seems to have everything a large town should have.

I have one question on sports. I currently race bicycles and wonder if there are any Al Ain bike clubs, local race organisation etc . Triathlon info would also be very welcome.

This is a great forum and a credit to all the contributors, making this a real hub for anyone out there or assessing a move - well done all.
Yes there are cyclists - I know that there are some who ride up the Jebel on the weekends ( why I can't say!!) Thee are also several triathlons in the UAE, my neighbour is taking part in many at the moment, pm me when you get here and I will try to put you in touch!
Old May 11th 2010, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice

Originally Posted by love2teach
Hello all - I am so pleased to find this fantastic thread! I have just been offered a teaching post in Al Ain and am very excited.

I have a few questions that I am hoping will get answered here:

- Is 11,000 per month (plus housing, flights and so on) enough for a family of 3 to have a good standard of living? Could we travel a little and enjoy a healthy social life - and maybe send a little home?
- How much does it cost to join the Hilton hotel (that I keep reading about here)?
- What would you say are the best things about raising young children in Al Ain?

Your thoughts would be really appreciated
you would be able to live okay if you were careful, and maybe travel a little. It wouldn't be enough to send money home though. Not a good salary. work for ADEC, as a licensed teacher and even an NQT would start higher than that.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

love2teach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Holking
you would be able to live okay if you were careful, and maybe travel a little. It wouldn't be enough to send money home though. Not a good salary. work for ADEC, as a licensed teacher and even an NQT would start higher than that.
Thank you for an honest answer. Oh dear. The more I read on this forum and others, the more I see that 11,000 is not a good salary - I have very good experience so should be much higher up the scale. I will have to have a long think and speak to the school who have offered me the post. ADEC is not an option for me as I really want to stay in a British Curriculum school.

Fingers crossed I will be joining you in Al Ain this September.

Last edited by love2teach; May 11th 2010 at 4:48 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Little_Lady_V is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
There is a small group of us coming out to Al Ain next week for a recce to look at apartments and get a feel for the place in preparation for coming out properly in a couple of months.
I was wondering if there is any social events going on so we could meet a few people? If not, we'll be in the Hilton on Wednesday evening if anyone is around and would like to say 'Hi'.
Maybe we'll see you there ,
Verity
Old May 12th 2010, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Casta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really niceCasta is just really nice

Originally Posted by Little_Lady_V
Hi All,
There is a small group of us coming out to Al Ain next week for a recce to look at apartments and get a feel for the place in preparation for coming out properly in a couple of months.
I was wondering if there is any social events going on so we could meet a few people? If not, we'll be in the Hilton on Wednesday evening if anyone is around and would like to say 'Hi'.
Maybe we'll see you there ,
Verity
The Rugby Club runs a quiz night on Wednesdays starting at 2000 and there's a curry buffet that starts at 1800. It's a pretty social night with plenty of people there. It might be a good way to meet a few people and see venues other than the hotels.
Old May 14th 2010, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Alistair0610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where's the best place to buy your pork products in Al Ain? I'd quite fancy a bacon roll right now. I think I may have to go to the Rugby Club for lunch.
Old May 14th 2010, 10:58 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alistair0610
Where's the best place to buy your pork products in Al Ain? I'd quite fancy a bacon roll right now. I think I may have to go to the Rugby Club for lunch.
Abela out by Tawam Hospital, turn right at the Twam roundabout then right again past Scalini and Choithram next to Al Noor Hospital by the Town Centre.
Old May 14th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

ozkingy is on a distinguished road

I'm speaking under correction, but I don't think the rugby club does pork dishes any more. And I think the new Spinneys has a pork section too.
Old May 14th 2010, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Alistair0610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozkingy
I'm speaking under correction, but I don't think the rugby club does pork dishes any more. And I think the new Spinneys has a pork section too.
I think you're right. I've just had their egg and 'bacon' baguette. It's OK, but definitely not real bacon
Old May 15th 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you're right. I've just had their egg and 'bacon' baguette. It's OK, but definitely not real bacon
You are right, the restaurants at the Palm are not allowed to sell pork until each kitchen has another pork kitchen attached. Rugby club is working on this so hopefully will be selling pork in the near future
Old May 16th 2010, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Becci_Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

the H&J have loads of pork on their menu - their bangers and mash are lush
Old May 17th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

ZULE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I am new to this post and have been offered a teaching job in Al Ain to start in August. I have been reading through some of the posts and they are very helpful. If we accept the position, my husband and I will be coming with our 2 children who are 8 months and 2 1/2 years old. Has anyone had any experience hiring a live in nanny and be able to tell me a round about figure for how much?

Also, for those of you that are members in a gym, about how much are the monthly costs for membership?

I have loads more questions of course, but thought I would start with these two! Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.