Living in Al Ain

Old May 4th 2010, 11:38 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Etisilat and Internet

We have been waiting 5 weeks now for our internet to be connected. We were originally told 5 days and have been back into Etisilat 6 times to try to find out what the hold up is. Each time they pick up the phone, call someone and then say it is all sorted and will be tomorrow or next week or whenever. Has anyone else had to wait this long or can I assume there is a major problem in our area such as no fibre optic cables. Today they talked about 'Wimax'. Does anyone know what this is and if it is worthwhile. It would mean we have to reapply which could mean we fall to the bottom of the pile again and then who knows how long it will take. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:02 pm
tlh
Al Ain Expat

tlh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larnie
Etisilat and Internet

We have been waiting 5 weeks now for our internet to be connected. We were originally told 5 days and have been back into Etisilat 6 times to try to find out what the hold up is. Each time they pick up the phone, call someone and then say it is all sorted and will be tomorrow or next week or whenever. Has anyone else had to wait this long or can I assume there is a major problem in our area such as no fibre optic cables. Today they talked about 'Wimax'. Does anyone know what this is and if it is worthwhile. It would mean we have to reapply which could mean we fall to the bottom of the pile again and then who knows how long it will take. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the main office in Al Ain. When you go in the door, go around the information desk and take the escalator upstairs. The "Customer Service" people are on your left. Take a number. You are there to file a complaint. Make sure that you get a complaint number. You want to avoid Wimax if possible. You will need to know the land line number for someone in your apartment building. If you are in a stand-alone villa, you will need the land line number for a neighbor. It is possible that you live in a part of Al Ain that has no DSL service. Again, check with your neighbors. Wimax will work, but it is really bad.

Good luck. I waited for about a week before I became a pest and then it only took about 3 days to get DSL hooked up.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tlh
Go to the main office in Al Ain. When you go in the door, go around the information desk and take the escalator upstairs. The "Customer Service" people are on your left. Take a number. You are there to file a complaint. Make sure that you get a complaint number. You want to avoid Wimax if possible. You will need to know the land line number for someone in your apartment building. If you are in a stand-alone villa, you will need the land line number for a neighbor. It is possible that you live in a part of Al Ain that has no DSL service. Again, check with your neighbors. Wimax will work, but it is really bad.

Good luck. I waited for about a week before I became a pest and then it only took about 3 days to get DSL hooked up.
Thanks! I've done all of that but still nothing. I wish they would just tell you what the problem is and if it is that we don't have the requisite cables to our building then why would they process our application?
Old May 4th 2010, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Lebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living in Al Ain

Hello there,
We (husband and 3 year old son) are moving to Al Ain in August. My husband is working for Nord as a teacher advisor - any feedback from anyone on this? past/present experiences?! I hope they've been good!

I'm a teacher too but want to get my little one settled into nursery first - again thoughts or suggestions on the "best one" to go for? - like all mummies, I just want him to be happy!

I'd like to teach when I get over there - are Supply teachers needed? I've not been able to find anythingthing on this.
Many Thanks!
Old May 4th 2010, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

aberdeensiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lebee
Hello there,
We (husband and 3 year old son) are moving to Al Ain in August. My husband is working for Nord as a teacher advisor - any feedback from anyone on this? past/present experiences?! I hope they've been good!

I'm a teacher too but want to get my little one settled into nursery first - again thoughts or suggestions on the "best one" to go for? - like all mummies, I just want him to be happy!

I'd like to teach when I get over there - are Supply teachers needed? I've not been able to find anythingthing on this.
Many Thanks!
Hi there

I do supply teaching for al ain english speaking school and really enjoy it. Send in your c v to Mr David Cole the primary headteacher.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Lebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aberdeensiregirl
Hi there

I do supply teaching for al ain english speaking school and really enjoy it. Send in your c v to Mr David Cole the primary headteacher.
That's really helpful - thanks! I'd love to know what your experiences have been like teaching there - maybe we will meet in the staffroom one day!
Old May 5th 2010, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

seeg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Does anybody know of any shops that stock gluten free food either in Al Ain or further afield?
Old May 5th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

staceymay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I have a difficult question...i have a lease for 12 months for a villa but i would like to break it, the villa is turning out to be far too expensive for me but unfortunately i dont think the landlord will be happy if i ask to leave after 6 months?

whats the general opinion, do landlords ever let you leave a lease early? I've only paid for the first 6 months, second cheque is only due in august. I just cant afford to stay I was rather taken advantage of by my estate agent

any advice would be helpful

and p.s. the new spinneys is open and very nice!
Old May 6th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

aberdeensiregirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lebee
That's really helpful - thanks! I'd love to know what your experiences have been like teaching there - maybe we will meet in the staffroom one day!
I have sent you a private message (pm)
Old May 7th 2010, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seeg
Hi all,

Does anybody know of any shops that stock gluten free food either in Al Ain or further afield?
Hi Seeg, AL Ain has improved a lot with gluten free food here. Try the Choithrams near the AL Noor hospital. They bake gluten free bread , sometimes it is freely available, sometimes you have to order it from them. They also have a variety of gluten free snacks and other produce too. Both Lulu and Spinneys will have some things but you have to look for them! Also further afield you have the Organic food shop in the Dubai Mall - near the Waitrose supermarket - they have a fairly good range!
Shammy
Old May 7th 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by staceymay
Hi everyone, I have a difficult question...i have a lease for 12 months for a villa but i would like to break it, the villa is turning out to be far too expensive for me but unfortunately i dont think the landlord will be happy if i ask to leave after 6 months?

whats the general opinion, do landlords ever let you leave a lease early? I've only paid for the first 6 months, second cheque is only due in august. I just cant afford to stay I was rather taken advantage of by my estate agent

My understanding is that you can get out of a lease, but often need to find someone to take on the 6 months that you still have owing.
Old May 7th 2010, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Little_Lady_V
Hi,
Could anyone give me a rough estimate for a taxi ride to/from Abu Dhabi? Are certain times/days more expensive? Any recommendations for taxi companies in Al Ain would be great.
Thanks,
V
Is this for a daily commute/ or irregular travel. If it is a daily thing you can come to an arrangement with a regular driver which will reduce the cost per day. Only approximate cost I have would be around 350 - 380 which it cost for me to get to the Airport with an Emirates Taxi. For regular commuting you may be able to find a car share as there are a few people who do the commute.
Shammy
Old May 7th 2010, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

CanuckEh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by staceymay View Post
Hi everyone, I have a difficult question...i have a lease for 12 months for a villa... I've only paid for the first 6 months, second cheque is only due in august.
I may be interested. Please email me: herman at aeronetworks dot ca
Old May 8th 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Alistair0610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by staceymay

I've just taken over 6 months of a lease on an apartment from someone who wanted to move. They were charged a AED 2000 "administration fee" by the landlords agent and I got a 6 month lease in my name. If you find a tenant hopefully it won't be a problem. I advertised in nialanews and had two responses within two days.

On the other hand I had another experience when previously living in Dubai. I had to leave after losing my job and couldn't get a penny out of my landlady. I lost over 3 months rent.
Old May 10th 2010, 11:43 am
Just Joined

The Big Ring is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Living in Al Ain

First post folks - I am getting very close to a job offer in Al Ain. My wife and I spent a week there after my assessment to ensure we would be happy in the area - and we will be - it seems to have everything a large town should have.

I have one question on sports. I currently race bicycles and wonder if there are any Al Ain bike clubs, local race organisation etc . Triathlon info would also be very welcome.

This is a great forum and a credit to all the contributors, making this a real hub for anyone out there or assessing a move - well done all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.