Living in Al Ain

Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by silly
Can anybody recommend a maid agency for part time maids please
As far as I am aware there are no agencies in Al Ain that do part time maids, they are not legally allowed to work more than one job. If you want someone to work part time, you have to arrange it privately, and take the consequences!! ( which is a huge fine for you and deportation for the maid!)
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All, following questions at coffee morning, here are the Rugby club live rugby games timings

We are showing all RBS 6 Nations matches live in the Clubhouse, starting from this weekend. The fixtures are as follows:

Sat 13th Feb: Wales vs. Scotland, KO 6pm
Sat 13th Feb: France vs. Ireland, KO 8.30pm
Sun 14th Feb: Italy vs. England, KO 6.30pm

During all live 6 Nations matches enjoy "Happy Hour", in addition to a 10% discount on food ordered from the A la Carte menu.

Shammy
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi All,
Just to let you know that the Hilton coffee morning is not next week, but rather on the 23rd February. Next week coffee is at Cosi at 10am as usual.
Shammy
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All!

Just a quick question regarding furniture stores.....how many are there and do they offer a good selection? We're opting to sell most of our stuff before moving to save on shipping but will need a sofa set and a spare bed among other things once we get there.
I know there's an Ikea in Dubai, but I'm guessing it would be easier to find a local place to cut down on shipping.

any help will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:29 am
Just Joined

silly is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear, will have to keep doing the cleaning myself Just needed a boost as its a brand new house.

Brill news about the six nations though, went to the rugby club last weekend and couldn't believe they weren't showing it. Guess where I will be on Sat
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

ozkingy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by silly
Oh dear, will have to keep doing the cleaning myself Just needed a boost as its a brand new house.

Brill news about the six nations though, went to the rugby club last weekend and couldn't believe they weren't showing it. Guess where I will be on Sat
I believe maids can work part-time as long as their sponsor/employer does not object. The notice boad at Abela, NIALA Newsletter and and the Al Ain Expat Yahoo group are good places to catch the news on people looking for part-time work.

Cheers.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: Living in Al Ain

On leaving the UAE, after 2 years, our part time maid - who had been scrupulously trustworthy up till the last day - removed a very valuable piece of jewellery. I had trusted her, recommended her to others and given her generous (by comparison) payment. I also gave her all the canned and usuable items from our pantry, all cleaning items and equipment, the iron and the ironing board. I am absolutely positive she is responsible for the theft of an expensive gold chain and very precious (sentimental) pendant.

My warning is to be very aware of the security of your precious items. An inhouse safe is not expensive and may simply remove temptation for a maid. They really do live a hand to mouth existence, sending money back home to relatives involved in conflicts and poverty. Do not tempt them further by placing valuable items in places where they can be easily accessed, regardless of the amount of trust you have in the maid.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aussieoverseas
On leaving the UAE, after 2 years, our part time maid - who had been scrupulously trustworthy up till the last day - removed a very valuable piece of jewellery. I had trusted her, recommended her to others and given her generous (by comparison) payment. I also gave her all the canned and usuable items from our pantry, all cleaning items and equipment, the iron and the ironing board. I am absolutely positive she is responsible for the theft of an expensive gold chain and very precious (sentimental) pendant.

My warning is to be very aware of the security of your precious items. An inhouse safe is not expensive and may simply remove temptation for a maid. They really do live a hand to mouth existence, sending money back home to relatives involved in conflicts and poverty. Do not tempt them further by placing valuable items in places where they can be easily accessed, regardless of the amount of trust you have in the maid.
Really sorry to hear that aussie after all the trust you put in her!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by cheeznleez
Hi All!

Just a quick question regarding furniture stores.....how many are there and do they offer a good selection? We're opting to sell most of our stuff before moving to save on shipping but will need a sofa set and a spare bed among other things once we get there.
I know there's an Ikea in Dubai, but I'm guessing it would be easier to find a local place to cut down on shipping.

any help will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Hi
there are always lots of people leaving so there are always opportunities to buy second hand - however second hand prices are more expensive here, and things don't stay around for long.

There are some mainstream home shops in Al Ain - Home Centre in Al Jimi Mall and homes r us beside the Jabal roundabout and in Bawadi mall. Also Pan furnishings beside the Homes r us at Jabal.

If you are really adventurous, there are about 20-30 furniture shops down in the industrial area in Saniya, they will make you a sofa in a matter of days at a really good price. Most of them speak good english, and if you look past the arabian Majlis style seating in the windows, there is a wide choice of styles and fabrics to choose from. PM me if you want to know where - my friends have suggested that I do organised trips for them down there lol!

Good luck!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info, Blue!!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:13 am
Just Joined

gfrafters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi moving to Al Ain in April, here for a visit at the moment (Husband already here), need to find curtains for our villa - can anybody help ? I did read somewhere that there is someone that will come to the villa and make them up there and then ? Any advice would be appreciated
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by gfrafters
Hi moving to Al Ain in April, here for a visit at the moment (Husband already here), need to find curtains for our villa - can anybody help ? I did read somewhere that there is someone that will come to the villa and make them up there and then ? Any advice would be appreciated
Hi
there are loads of curtain shops to choose from in Saniyya, they will make them up in a matter of days and most offer a fitting service. The making standard will not be the same as the UK though, but you will be able to get something half decent very cheaply. I would recommend Hussains (pm me for GPS co-ords or directions), I make my own curtains and have got all my linings, tapes and tracks there at a fraction of the uk price!

Alternatively, there are about 20 curtain shops in Dragon Mart in Dubai, they will make them up in an hour, though you have to give them your measurements and fit them yourself (or find a handyman to do it).

Good luck
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

Where can you get keys cut? Have tried all the Malls but no luck!
Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larnie
Where can you get keys cut? Have tried all the Malls but no luck!
Saniyya - on the "main" road - there are heaps of them. If its car keys you want cut then you may now need to get a certificate of authorisation (not sure if that is exactly what it is called) from the police.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 5:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Saniyya - on the "main" road - there are heaps of them. If its car keys you want cut then you may now need to get a certificate of authorisation (not sure if that is exactly what it is called) from the police.
Thanks! No just house keys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.