Living in Al Ain

Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Paul,

Had to commute for months before moving to Al ain.
My two cents worth.......

1. Get to the station early
2. Make sure you pack your fisherman's friend mints or similar... the BO is putrid
3. As a male pass the first three rows and sit at the next row. These seats will be reserved for Ladies. If caught with a lady waiting you will be sent to the back (NOT NICE) Please do not sit at the back.
4. Don't be surprised if they turn off the main on your way to or from Abudhabi
Its just for a prayer/tea stop. In ramadan be prepared for a longer stop... either way you will be close to your destination at any of these stops.

Otherwise this is a good journey to finish a book / get some heavy thinking done.

Check abudhabi.ae or visit abudhabi.
the buses leave every 40 mins either way i think .

Happy travels
Old Jan 30th 2010, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mommy2SarahNHana
Okay just when I thought I was had a grasp on where most things are,my girls start talking about all the good things their friends pack in the lunches and they get it from Abella's. So after hearing about this for the past two weeks I thought I had found directions on a google site. I was headed towards Abu Dhabi and at the Twamm R/A I made a left and according to my directions I was to make a right at the first street. I never found it. Sorry no Peppridge Farm Gold Fish crackers in tomorrow lunch box.
I did however find the Palm which I always saw signs but never checked it out. That street (Jama) leads me right back to my house so I was in luck with something tonight. LOL any one have good directions to this store?
Your girls are too right... GREAT BREAD and snacks.
Keep on the same road to Abu dhabi heading to Tawam R/A exit right (do not enter the R/A)as if you are going to the American School. Immediately turn right and drive straight not far down you will see an outdoor cafe (which you should try sometime) and then Abelas... Let me know how your shopping went!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paul Clark
Hello

Has anyone ever shipped a contained from Canada to Al Ain? I am trying to get a feel for how much the shipping rates are, and how many hoops one has to jump through.

Many thanks
Paul
Hey Paul!

We've just accepted a quote from a company in BC:

Anne Haug Moving Consultant
World Wide Overseas Moving Service Inc.
8238 Swenson Way, Delta, B.C. V4G 1J6 Canada
FAX: 604-581-2325 Direct Ph: 604-582-3721
www.highland-worldwide.com

They were slightly more expensive than the other 4 quotes that we recieved, but they made up for it by being far more knowledgeable in my opinion. We were planning on shipping both of our cars over and other personal effects and for 2 x 20ft containers we were quoted $17K. I think we're now going to sell a car to save on shipping and for 1 20 ft container we were quoted just over $9K. At first we thought that we'd be able to ship both cars in a 40ft and we were quoted $15k, but we're apparently not allowed to have 2 cars in one container. Anyway, they do all the work, and we just pick the stuff up when it arrives. Check them out.

Where are you moving from? We're coming from SK - and definitely looking forward to better weather!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by larnie
So what's happening in Al Ain these days? Any coffee mornings for 'older people". No offence to you young ones though! Have there been any groups started up since I was here such as a Book Group or maybe a Walking Group or even a Movie? I went for an hour power walk this morning but felt really conspicous on my own I so thought it might feel more comfortable in a group. The weather is so nice right now I thought I would try and whittle off a few pounds before the summer sets in?
Hi Larnie,
Coffee at the Al Jimi mall at Cosi on Tuesday at 10am. Lots of ladies who no longer have school age kids. Many of them are involved with a variety of new things, Pink Puffs, Hospital volunteering, etc. I know a couple meet up to go to the new Rugby club Gym, or walk the Palm circuit. I will be there on Tuesday, so hope to see you!
Shammy
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Arriving in Al Ain

Originally Posted by Paul Clark
Hello all

This may be a long shot, but does anyone know how to get hold of a piano for rent in Al Ain?

Many thanks
Paul
Try the House of Arts
Shammy
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by larnie
Wouldn't that be great. I've just arrived this minute and am at Starbucks at AA Mall. Nothing has changed except you are not here. What am I going to do with myself for the next 5 years?
Ahh, have you found Bawadi Mall yet???
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mommy2SarahNHana
Okay just when I thought I was had a grasp on where most things are,my girls start talking about all the good things their friends pack in the lunches and they get it from Abella's. So after hearing about this for the past two weeks I thought I had found directions on a google site. I was headed towards Abu Dhabi and at the Twamm R/A I made a left and according to my directions I was to make a right at the first street. I never found it. Sorry no Peppridge Farm Gold Fish crackers in tomorrow lunch box.
I did however find the Palm which I always saw signs but never checked it out. That street (Jama) leads me right back to my house so I was in luck with something tonight. LOL any one have good directions to this store?
You just need to turn right at the roundabout where you turned left!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by staceymay
Hello Everyone

I'm so excited I arrive in Al Ain on Monday morning.... have no idea what to expect and still homeless!!!! yikes. Does anyone know of house or room shares????? I cant afford to stay in a hotel long enough until i find a flat or something, i would dearly appreciate some advice?????? please help

thanks

Stacey
I would advise a trip to the Abella Notice board asap! Also subscribe to Niala News by emailing [email protected], and asking to be put on the mailing list. You can send an ad for a room or apartment to the same address.
Shammy
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:32 am
Just Joined

cymrolass is an unknown quantity at this point

I need to find someone to fit a gas cooker with some electric rings - anyone know where i could find such a fitter?
Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:51 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shammy
Hi Larnie,
Coffee at the Al Jimi mall at Cosi on Tuesday at 10am. Lots of ladies who no longer have school age kids. Many of them are involved with a variety of new things, Pink Puffs, Hospital volunteering, etc. I know a couple meet up to go to the new Rugby club Gym, or walk the Palm circuit. I will be there on Tuesday, so hope to see you!
Shammy
Thanks Shammy. I have arranged to meet a Real Estate Agent on Tuesday morning so won't be able to make it but will come next week!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 10:52 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shammy
Ahh, have you found Bawadi Mall yet???
Just sitting at Cafe Nero at Bawadi using the internet. It is stunning!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:11 am
Just Joined

silly is an unknown quantity at this point

Bawadi is great, I was here a couple of weeks before I even knew it existed and that was only from reading this thread so thanks everyone

I hear they do Pilates at the Hilton, has anybody tried it??? Any good?

Is there Pilates at the Rugby Club?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

GV-Austin is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know of a company that ships from China to Al Ain?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Aussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant futureAussieoverseas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GV-Austin
Does anyone know of a company that ships from China to Al Ain?
I did the move from Al Ain to China with Move One Relocations and they were great. I am hoping to move back again and will definitely go with them again. The office I dealt with was in Shanghai and they were efficient and very helpful
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

GV-Austin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aussieoverseas
I did the move from Al Ain to China with Move One Relocations and they were great. I am hoping to move back again and will definitely go with them again. The office I dealt with was in Shanghai and they were efficient and very helpful
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated. Would you be able to send any contact information for them? We're living in Tianjin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.