Living in Al Ain

Old Dec 22nd 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

staceymay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

I am officially moving to al ain before the end of January!!! So excited but nervous too!!! My biggest concern is finding a place to live!!! I'll be working at the zoo so a place close by would be the best...but what kind of rent and size am i looking at???? all the classified sites seem to have very few options!

Old Dec 23rd 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by staceymay
I am officially moving to al ain before the end of January!!! So excited but nervous too!!! My biggest concern is finding a place to live!!! I'll be working at the zoo so a place close by would be the best...but what kind of rent and size am i looking at???? all the classified sites seem to have very few options!

I would suggest that it is almost impossible to find a place before you arrive, most jobs have you in some sort of temporary accommodation on arrival to give you time to sort out somewhere to live, either a hotel or apartment, you also cannot get all the paperwork for the house sorted out until you arrive, and no one will hold a place for you. Wait until you arrive, and then you can get an idea of how things are done, its not like most western countries, things happen in their own time, and you need to be aware that accommodation is one of them!!
Shammy
Old Dec 25th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

if this means something to you...

MERRY Christmas !
Old Dec 28th 2009, 10:30 am
Just Joined

hI EVERYONE... i'm really concerned about wether my salary is going to be decent and i'm struggling to figure out what my expenses will be. Is it appropriate for me to give you guys an idea of what I earn and somebody could give me advice?
Old Dec 28th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

hI EVERYONE... i'm really concerned about wether my salary is going to be decent and i'm struggling to figure out what my expenses will be. Is it appropriate for me to give you guys an idea of what I earn and somebody could give me advice?
This is a difficult one - how long is a piece of string? Here's some questions you should ponder and factor into the equation. We are a friendly bunch here so give us some more info and we will try to help!

Are you on your own or have you a spouse/family coming with you? Does your job offer include accommodation?

What do you like doing? Partying/drinking alcohol/eating out in hotel restaurants = expensive. Golf/sports - leisure resorts membership fees not too bad. Offroad driving = expensive set up costs, but not too bad after that. Eating out in arabic/indian/lebanese cafes = very cheap (arguably cheaper than eating at home!) Furnishing your home with trendy pieces, probably cheaper than the UK, but much more expensive than second hand/ikea or from local shops down in Saniyya (industrial area).

It is also asking yourself "why am I coming here?" To save money? To immerse yourself in a new culutre? Or to make your CV have wider appeal? Meet interesting people from diverse cultures? At the end of your 2/3/4 year stint here, how will you measure if your expat experience has been a successful one?

This list of questions is not exhaustive, but will have a bearing on your salary requirements. Some people are paid 10,000dhs per month and can survive, though our family of 3 could barely exist on double that as we have to pay our own accommodation.

Last edited by Bluelionesse; Dec 28th 2009 at 12:42 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
This is a difficult one - how long is a piece of string? Here's some questions you should ponder and factor into the equation. We are a friendly bunch here so give us some more info and we will try to help!

Are you on your own or have you a spouse/family coming with you? Does your job offer include accommodation?

What do you like doing? Partying/drinking alcohol/eating out in hotel restaurants = expensive. Golf/sports - leisure resorts membership fees not too bad. Offroad driving = expensive set up costs, but not too bad after that. Eating out in arabic/indian/lebanese cafes = very cheap (arguably cheaper than eating at home!) Furnishing your home with trendy pieces, probably cheaper than the UK, but much more expensive than second hand/ikea or from local shops down in Saniyya (industrial area).

It is also asking yourself "why am I coming here?" To save money? To immerse yourself in a new culutre? Or to make your CV have wider appeal? Meet interesting people from diverse cultures? At the end of your 2/3/4 year stint here, how will you measure if your expat experience has been a successful one?

This list of questions is not exhaustive, but will have a bearing on your salary requirements. Some people are paid 10,000dhs per month and can survive, though our family of 3 could barely exist on double that as we have to pay our own accommodation.
Dear Bluelioness

Ok I will be absolutely frank about my sAlary, the basic is 12 500 AED and then housing allowance, furniture allowance, transportation allowance and recreation allowance the total package comes to 21 000 AED.

I am a single female 26, no family or dependants and I need to find my own accomodation right from the start and it looks to me as though rent is quite expensive?? I need to save some money but I'm going mainly to gain experience for my c.v.

As for recreational expenses...I will adjust that to my budget if I have any spare ha ha!

So is it decent...will I be able to find a decent place to rent and still save money? I hope so!

Thanks for your reply it was definitely helpful
Old Jan 1st 2010, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Dear Bluelioness

Ok I will be absolutely frank about my sAlary, the basic is 12 500 AED and then housing allowance, furniture allowance, transportation allowance and recreation allowance the total package comes to 21 000 AED.

I am a single female 26, no family or dependants and I need to find my own accomodation right from the start and it looks to me as though rent is quite expensive?? I need to save some money but I'm going mainly to gain experience for my c.v.

As for recreational expenses...I will adjust that to my budget if I have any spare ha ha!

So is it decent...will I be able to find a decent place to rent and still save money? I hope so!

Thanks for your reply it was definitely helpful
Sent you a PM with more info Staceymay
Happy New Year
M
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi - after a quiet two weeks, is it coffee as normal at Cosi Al Jimi on Tuesday
Old Jan 5th 2010, 4:58 am
Banned

i-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nice

Originally Posted by larnie
I am living in Al Ain. Have been here 2 weeks and will probably be here for three years. My husband is working on the University extension. We are living at the Intercontinental at the moment Is there anyone out there who is also living here who might be interested in a coffee and a chat sometime.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

PS: I am a Kiwi
nice
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:03 am
Just Joined

campagrecord is an unknown quantity at this point

A little off the subject, but still relevant to the thread: my father has recently moved to Al Ain and started work almost immediately, on 2nd January. As he's so busy he doesn't have time to check all the adverts and do viewings etc, so I'm having to do as much research for him as possible. No, he doesn't have a PA. If only..

Anyways, if anyone has any recnt and up to date information on reliable letting agents, private landlords, or friends/individuals that have a place they'd like to rent out, in Al Ain.

I did start reading the first 30 odd pages of the thread and there was plenty of information, but I soon realised I was reading posts from 2007!

Your help, advice and assistance is much appreciated

Oh..Happy New Year everyone! Still not decided whether it's "two thousand and ten" or "twenty-ten"....
Old Jan 6th 2010, 5:07 am
Just Joined

cymrolass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by i-like-tea
nice
Welcome!! What a pity - we just left the Inercontinental a couple of weeks ago - enjoyed our time there and the "Cocktail Parties"!!! Not far away staying opposite the Etisalat building so a nice walk down the Wadi ( well most of the way!!!!) Coffee's always on!!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:42 am
Just Joined

djinaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks

New to this forum and joined initially in the hope that someone out there could recommend a good full time nanny.

We have 2 kids under 3 years old and need someone with English, energy and some experience.

If anyone springs to mind please let us know asap.

All the best for 2010.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

For those of you that have lived there for a bit:

I'm currently looking at ads on Gulf News and the Asteco website for villas. I'm looking for a neighborhood(s) with a large expat population and family oriented. Can anybody tell me the names of the areas in the city that fit that criteria?

There seem to be some new villas in the Asharej area, what's this like?

Just had a friend pop is so I'll continue this is a bit......
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larnie
I am living in Al Ain. Have been here 2 weeks and will probably be here for three years. My husband is working on the University extension. We are living at the Intercontinental at the moment Is there anyone out there who is also living here who might be interested in a coffee and a chat sometime.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

PS: I am a Kiwi
This is the lovely lady who started this wonderful thread and whom I am very proud to call a true friend in the real world. For those of you new to the site this post was made in 2007 and sadly she has left now for pastures new.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
This is the lovely lady who started this wonderful thread and whom I am very proud to call a true friend in the real world. For those of you new to the site this post was made in 2007 and sadly she has left now for pastures new.
Love you AG! You are a star!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.