Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Anyone know of martial arts classes in Al Ain, Muay Thai, Karate etc
Old Dec 12th 2009, 5:42 am
Just Joined

cymrolass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mnze
Anyone know of martial arts classes in Al Ain, Muay Thai, Karate etc
Believe there is Karate at the Intercon Hotel!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mommy2SarahNHana
I am also wondering about this as I need to get some foils done soon. I would appreciate any good recommendations. I need blonde highlights and I have read on other sites about the horror stories of trying to get blonde highlights
Thanks
I am in Bangkok now so need to find someone as good as but when I lived in Al Ain I always went to Reda at the Intercon who does blond highlights with foils beautifully, I am a real fusspot with my hair so would not recommend him if he wasnt good. I paid AED600 for cut, blow dry and foils which maybe for some a bit much but it was worth every fil
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travellingtoots
hi ya yeah i would be interested in meeting up my number is 05066067 53
TT Larnie left over a year ago nut I am sure there are other lovely ladies who will be happy to meet up.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
No English radio here. Just 160 and 100.5 out of AD/Dubai if you get good enough reception
I would highly recommend a WIFI radio which you can buy in VirginMega Store in MOE, we bought one when we lived in Al Ain and it was lovely listening to Radio 2 with Sir Terry and Steve Wright albeit difference in time. We have just unpacked it in Bangkok and enjoying listening to it again even with the 7 hour time difference LOL
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
I am an avid music fan and frequently scan the channels when I am out and about in the car.

The only one I can find that plays British/American music, that you can get in Al Ain, is Star FM. However it also plays arabic tunes and adverts are in arabic.

Once you leave Al Ain, you can pick up The Coast, which is truly wonderful, lots of 80s and 90s stuff, good music and chat - but you have to go toward Abu Dhabi or Dubai to receive it.

This post would probably have more meaning with the channel frequencies -will get them off the car later and edit my post!
I think there is a new one which can be received clearly in Al Ain. I think it is 97.6 or 96.7 FM. It was announced at the first pool party at Hilton that it was going live to get the signals perfect before I left in October so it might be better now, worth a try
Old Dec 13th 2009, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

ozkingy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
I think there is a new one which can be received clearly in Al Ain. I think it is 97.6 or 96.7 FM. It was announced at the first pool party at Hilton that it was going live to get the signals perfect before I left in October so it might be better now, worth a try
95.6. Plays some great music, mainly newer stuff, but some great classic rock too. no ads, no announcers. All good!
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:59 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Right, what is that station and who runs it?? It kind of wierds me out honestly.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Litu is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know how to get in touch with the history society? I heard they organize some nice outings. Is there any particular place or time they meet? Also, do any of you guys have any books you would not mind lending or exchanging?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:55 am
Just Joined

baboon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Right, what is that station and who runs it?? It kind of wierds me out honestly.
http://www.enhg.org/

found it in a previous post-very informative
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all!!! It's looking as though we may end up in your neck of the woods sometime in late spring/early summer. I'm proud to say I have read all 133 pages of this thread and I'm thankful for all the useful information on here.

I do have a question about bringing pets to the UAE; probably the most debated subject between my husband and myself. Are there kennels in the city for when we go on holiday? If so, what kind of quality are they?

Also, I have jotted down the numbers and info for realtors, but I wonder how outdatted that information now is. And, since we're still currently in Canada it would be way easier to connect via email (which I understand is a tad under-used by the locals!), so if anybody has any email addresses of any realtors, that would be a start for us. Sassy/Melanie, could you PM me your details so I can start to liase with you?

As well, my husband has priced out what it will cost to rent a car over there before ours get there (ouch!). Are there any budget places to rent from?

I must say I' looking forward to the coffee mornings/children's mornings/expat get togethers, as you all seem like a very welcoming bunch.

Thanks in advance for info.....I'm sure there will be a lot more questions to come!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

unsureone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, well we are about to make move to al ain early next year. Dh has job offer and is working his notice in Dubai at present. 6yr old been accepted into AAESS but no place for 4 yr old, so, does anyone know of an excellent nursery or should I just keep her with me till she starts school in Sept? The kids and I are back home in UK at the moment and my main concern is taking them from their school here during term time to start new in al ain. But if we dont then we will be apart from Daddy for another 8 month and that is also unbearable! Moving on - can we get a 4 bed villa in a compound in al ain? we are used to living in Arabian Ranches and have the whole community life going on, lots of friends, pools, parks etc. I am more nervous about this move than I was about the first jaunt over 2 years ago. Would def like to make some friends on here prior to the move! I am a social girl who enjoys company (this is starting to sound like a lonely hearts ad!)
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

cheeznleez is an unknown quantity at this point

As promised, here come the questions....

My daughter is currently 3 1/2. She'll be 4 in July, and in Canada wouldn't be able to start Kindergarten (Reception in the UK, I think) until she's 5. I'm looking for a pre-kindergarten program to enroll her in for next fall.....but I'm willing to put her in Reception at AAESS (providing I can get her in!).

The issue is whether most kids in the pre-k move up altogether to the same school (no need in her having to make friends twice). Can I get any opinions on this?

Are there any great prekindergarten programs out there that anyone could recommend?

Thanks!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:49 am
Just Joined

cesar is an unknown quantity at this point

hi..
coming to al ain soon...
how good is satellite tv and internet there ?? is it cheap?

hows the weather? will i need warm clothes/

thanks

Last edited by cesar; Dec 16th 2009 at 2:16 am.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by cesar
hi..
coming to al ain next week.
how good is satellite tv and internet there ?? is it cheap?

hows the weather? will i need warm clothes/

thanks
Hi Cesar
not sure about the satellite tv, but internet is ok here, not very fast, compared to the UK the internet is VERY expensive, ie 3 times the price of home.

Weather is cool in the evenings, we find we need a sweatshirt if we are out, also need a light jacket as well if we are out in the desert as it seems to get really cold.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...chType=WEATHER

Have a safe journey over and good luck in your new adventure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.