Living in Al Ain

Old Jul 25th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

valeboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by Mastro100
Hi Valeboy,
You mean 36000 per year. I guess it's even very difficult to get a flat with this amount. I'm not there yet but from what i've read here and in some other websites. Your allowance is not high enough for getting a good accommodation.

I hope I'm wrong and I'm sure the others will get back to you.
Thanks Mastro100,

Can anyone who is actually living out there at present give me conformation of what Mastro is indicating or have the prices dropped? Could be a deal breaker for me so I need to get good solid info please, thank you all.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by valeboy
Hi All,

Wonder if anyone can help, my other half has been offered a job with an accommodation allowance of around 3,000 Dirhams per month, is it possible to get a decent furnished villa for this?
Definitely not enough valeboy! There is no such thing as furnished accommodation except for some of the educational institutes who rent whole arpatment blocks and furnish the with basics. If you are looking to rent a villa then it will come empty and that includes whitware. No stove, fridge or anything. And expect to pay at least 10K for a villa twice that depending on how big and where it is. We had a 5 bed duplex in Al Muwaiji in an Arab neighbourhood and once we had it painted throughout and filled with modern furniture it wasn't too bad at all. We paid 5K a month but when we left the landlord tried to double the rent. For 3K you would be lucky to get a small flat above shops in the middle of town.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

sassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of lightsassypilotswife is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mastro100,

Can anyone who is actually living out there at present give me conformation of what Mastro is indicating or have the prices dropped? Could be a deal breaker for me so I need to get good solid info please, thank you all.
Valeboy, your housing allowance won't get you anything that I know of right now. Especially if it is paid monthly. My husband gets a crappy allowance as well and its paid monthly. In order for us to have a nice villa, we had to have " family" move in with us. I do know of a 1bed villa that is being built right now and almost complete but it is very small. I can get the owner to take monthly payments on it. The next up is brand new 2 bed villas that are brand new and extremely cute for 70k. I am asking the owner take 2 cheques but i am sure he won't go monthly. What kind of work will you be doing ?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:06 am
Just Joined

valeboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sassypilotswife
Valeboy, your housing allowance won't get you anything that I know of right now. Especially if it is paid monthly. My husband gets a crappy allowance as well and its paid monthly. In order for us to have a nice villa, we had to have " family" move in with us. I do know of a 1bed villa that is being built right now and almost complete but it is very small. I can get the owner to take monthly payments on it. The next up is brand new 2 bed villas that are brand new and extremely cute for 70k. I am asking the owner take 2 cheques but i am sure he won't go monthly. What kind of work will you be doing ?
Thanks Sassy,

This is what I thought which puts a bit of a downer on the prospect of moving over.

So you share with another family, how does that work out, it must be tough on the privacy, aren't they about to make it illegal over there for that to happen?

If I take the position I'll be working at the University.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sassy,

This is what I thought which puts a bit of a downer on the prospect of moving over.

So you share with another family, how does that work out, it must be tough on the privacy, aren't they about to make it illegal over there for that to happen?

If I take the position I'll be working at the University.

It always has been illegal, they talked about relaxing it and then recently they have re-itterated the legality of sharing. If you are going to be working for the university I would have thought they would have an orientation package giving you all the do's and dont's about life in the ME.

You obviously are thinking very carefully about coming out here which is great. I have been here for just over two years now but have lived and worked in the ME and the FE for quite a few years now. When we came here two years ago we did a budget for the whole project my husband is involved in and AED80,000 gave us a 3 bed villa in a compound with all the amenities, today the same villa is at least AED160,000. We knew someone who lived in a 3 bed duplex and their rent was AED36,000, it certainly wasnt up to expat standards and I would not have wanted to live in something like it.

The prices have shot up mainly due to demands from people working in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, what they would get for their rent allowances there would rent them a mansion here in Al Ain but they have to commute to work every day and its at least a 1.5 to 2 hour drive depending on the traffic and the weather and now there is a shortage unless you want to live in a 5 upwards bedroom villa.

I love living in Al Ain with all the culture and the quiet way of life but housing is a major issue and the guys building more cannot work fast enough.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Chica88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Living in Al Ain

Thanks for your advice Melanie! I got an offer letter from the SSAT with an August start date, but had little info since I received it last week - not got much time to get organised - anyone else in the same boat?!?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

lawyergirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chica,

A similar thing happened to me - got the offer letter and then didn't hear for them for a week until I emailed twice. Then finally got the contract and didn't hear from them again.

Based on what I'm hearing on this forum, this is the usual pace at which things tend to move and patience is the key (along with keeping on your employer yourself).

I'm moving mid-August, after taking a suggestion from this forum and getting in touch with my employer, they have been really good with sending me updates every other day or so. Having said that, I specifically requested some kind of informational package regarding Al-Ain or living in the UAE but this was not acknowleged.

I had no idea sharing was illegal and did not know that a lot of landlords don't take monthly cheques.

I am coming as prepared as possible and with an open mind and you should too. Be ready to be very patient and willing to work around new information and rules. I'm guessing the week they put us up in a hotel will not be enough time in which to find a place to stay - *gulp. Oh well, let the adventure begin!

LG

P.S Can anyone PM a monthly rate on a hotel stay so I can get an idea of whether it might be better for me to stay at a hotel. I know the daily rates are pretty high but am hoping there are special rates for long time guests. I wouldn't be required family-sized rooms, just enough for a couple and don't really mind that its small.

Thanks.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Chica88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks LG, don't know where I'd be without this forum!! Looking forward to meeting everyone when I get to AA!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

HELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ollie 84
hey guys, I am a recent sociology graduate from aberdeen.

I got offered a job in the International School of Choueifat. Can anyone tell me if 7,000 Dirmhas is enough to live off a month? They are providing accommodation for me.

Thanks.!
Hi, I just read a recent msg of yours and wondered if you have any contacts who could tell me how well I could cope on 11000 dhs monthly. Could I affors to be a gym member etc? How pricey is food?
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

HELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really niceHELEN44 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
You all sound very new to expat life and one of the first things you have to learn I am afraid is patience, nothing goes at the pace of life of the UK, USA, Oz or any other major country in the world. You cant come here believing that you will change things to your way of thinking overnight, you need to learn to chip chip chip away for changes to happen. Having said all that, you have to keep contacting people on a very regular basis. Tomorrow is a public holiday for the Prophet Mohammed's Assenssion so we all have a 3 day weekend. I have been an expat for over 30 years so plenty of experience and also have been in Al Ain for over 2 years now so if I can do anything locally for any of you coming here am very happy to do it. If you are interested please do not hesitate to contact me by PM. The schools are now all on holiday so would imagine if any admin staff are in the office it will be skeleton staff. The offer is there if you want it
Hi there,
I can see that you know all about Al Ain. I'm about, hopefully, to accept a Primary teaching post, but as I'm in my early fifties and not an experienced traveller, what advice would you give me? On 11000 dhs, could I afford a life and save a little. Many thanks
Old Jul 27th 2009, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HELEN44
Hi there,
I can see that you know all about Al Ain. I'm about, hopefully, to accept a Primary teaching post, but as I'm in my early fifties and not an experienced traveller, what advice would you give me? On 11000 dhs, could I afford a life and save a little. Many thanks
Hi Helen

I dont like talking about people's salary on a public forum, to me it is a very personal thing but as you have mentioned AED11,000, I pressume this is monthly but is this just basic salary before the allowance for housing and ticketing or is this an all in salary. It sounds very little on first reading it. Will you be working at one of the main international schools. SO many questions but I will try and help answer them for you as it is very poor than none of the new people here have been given orientation packages with their offer of employment. Please ask away

Pleae PM me with your questions, its more private!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

For anyone free and available tomorrow around 10 ish we are meeting in the coffee shop in the lobby of Al Ain Hilton, everyone welcome. A different venue during the holidays, look forward to seeing everyone there who can make it.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 6:54 am
Just Joined

gosiabekker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Can anybody advise me how to find a 2B room apartment in a nice surrounding in Al Ain?
Thank you,
Tara
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

brendon2001ad is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering whether anyone could offer any advice on what to look for when making shipping arrangements. I have looked online at the different companies but does anyone have any recommendations or experiences regards companies or methods to ship from UK?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
Hi Helen

I dont like talking about people's salary on a public forum, to me it is a very personal thing but as you have mentioned AED11,000, I pressume this is monthly but is this just basic salary before the allowance for housing and ticketing or is this an all in salary. It sounds very little on first reading it. Will you be working at one of the main international schools. SO many questions but I will try and help answer them for you as it is very poor than none of the new people here have been given orientation packages with their offer of employment. Please ask away

Pleae PM me with your questions, its more private!
So sorry but I'm so new, I don't know how to send you a private message.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.