Living in Al Ain

Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

IndigoGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
Ladies - you are very welcome to come along to our Tuesday Coffee Morning- Hediard's, ground floor, Al Ain Mall from 10am-11.30am
https://www.facebook.com/groups/189139154475771/
I will most definitely be there and look forward to meeting everyone - want to meet you all
Old Jan 5th 2013, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

I know people who live in Al Andalus and love it, however the Al Oyoun has much more in the way of open spaces. This is a link to a pic of Al Andalus - http://www.diarconsult.com/english/p...e=1&Pro_Type=1. Amazing that there are so few pictures of it on the net!
Al Andalus looks great - have had a quick glance at it and will look into it in more detail later - hopefully pricing will not be extreme. The other complex looks great too so I am sure we will get something
Old Jan 7th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

mandyandpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for he info guys and yes still waiting patiently also for tickets to fly on 15th , ive heard the clearance does take some time fingers crossed will hear something in the next day or two x
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandyandpaul
Thanks for he info guys and yes still waiting patiently also for tickets to fly on 15th , ive heard the clearance does take some time fingers crossed will hear something in the next day or two x
We have just got our ticket - it's all on. Where will you be working?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

mandyandpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

hi hun hubby is a military instructor , great news getting your tickets hope ours come soon , all the best might see you over there. Are you both going straight away ? i wont be going until april so all the best xx and congratulations
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

MissLana2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ladies - you are very welcome to come along to our Tuesday Coffee Morning- Hediard's, ground floor, Al Ain Mall from 10am-11.30am
https://www.facebook.com/groups/189139154475771/
I want to join, is it every Tuesday at the same time?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by MissLana2008
I want to join, is it every Tuesday at the same time?
Yes, but the coffee shop can vary, please join the fb group if you can so you can get updates
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

hi hun hubby is a military instructor , great news getting your tickets hope ours come soon , all the best might see you over there. Are you both going straight away ? i wont be going until april so all the best xx and congratulations
It's only my hubby leaving in Sunday - I am looking to go in April as well but it depends on when we can rent our house out as we don't want to leave it empty. I will continue with updates and look forward to maybe meeting up with everyone once we are there
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

The Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the roughThe Woods is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone. We are planning on moving to Al Ain in June, I will be there from mid-February and my family follow.

I am a military pilot instructor working with Airbus and will be working at the airport. We are bringing 5 children - aged 3, 7, 10, 14 and 18. I'm thinking of putting all the younger ones into the Al Ain English Speaking School and have been looking at the Al Oyoun Village as a prospective place to live.

We can't decide whether we need 2 cars; my wife is concerned about the driving but I will be heading out to the work early every day.

We also aren't sure what opportunities might be available for our 18 year old. She wants to come and live with us and not go to college, but are there any job options for young adult expats?

Hope to meet some of you later in the year.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Woods
Hi everyone. We are planning on moving to Al Ain in June, I will be there from mid-February and my family follow.

I am a military pilot instructor working with Airbus and will be working at the airport. We are bringing 5 children - aged 3, 7, 10, 14 and 18. I'm thinking of putting all the younger ones into the Al Ain English Speaking School and have been looking at the Al Oyoun Village as a prospective place to live.

We can't decide whether we need 2 cars; my wife is concerned about the driving but I will be heading out to the work early every day.

We also aren't sure what opportunities might be available for our 18 year old. She wants to come and live with us and not go to college, but are there any job options for young adult expats?

Hope to meet some of you later in the year.
Hi and welcome to the mega thread and of course Al Ain!

You almost certainly need a second car, how else will you get three kids to school, never mind the social activities they need. Just get a big automatic 4x4 for her - safety is priority! The roads are crazy but you DO get used to it in time, in fact when you return home you will be amazed how your driving has become more defensive/aggressive.

Sadly there are very few employment opportunities for teenagers here, my son was out for 2 years between aged 16 and 18 and there was nothing for him. All the unskilled jobs are taken by people from other countries who will work for as little as 800aed per month (that is £31 per week, full time). Many admin positions require a BA, but they will pay a bit more, I've seen ones advertised for 2500ae+ per month. Many employers will specify that applicants must have a certain number of years experience, and require them to be of a specific age, and sometimes even "attractive looking". So you will have to try very hard to find something for her. There are no vocational colleges for non-locals; can she stay back in the UK and get some qualifications/experience or maybe go to University either here or overseas?

Apart from those problems, Al Ain is a wonderful place to live with a family, plenty to do, great to be able to spend lots of time outdoors for 8-9 months of the year, and it is lovely to be able to live alongside so many other nationalities.!

I don't know if you have had a chance to look at my blog but I have a series of Al Ain entries -http://mbfullemptyquarter.blogspot.com/2012/08/life-in-al-ain-part-1-shopping.html. This one is on shopping but there's links on it to the rest in the series.

Good luck!
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 10:22 am
jwb
Just Joined

jwb is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living in Al Ain

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and have tried to read lots of it, apologies if my question has already been asked. Thought I would put up a post since you all seem a helpful bunch.

I potentially may have the opportunity to work in Al Ain from September.

Currently in UK but my wife and I have worked abroad before, so I think we will love it again. My concern is our children.

We have two children, a boy of 16 and a girl of 14. Is there enough for them to do in Al Ain or should we think of living in Al Ain with me communting from Abu Dhabi?

How do teenagers get on in Al Ain? Anyone with children of my ages have a view?

Many thanks in advance, James
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwb
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and have tried to read lots of it, apologies if my question has already been asked. Thought I would put up a post since you all seem a helpful bunch.

I potentially may have the opportunity to work in Al Ain from September.

Currently in UK but my wife and I have worked abroad before, so I think we will love it again. My concern is our children.

We have two children, a boy of 16 and a girl of 14. Is there enough for them to do in Al Ain or should we think of living in Al Ain with me communting from Abu Dhabi?

How do teenagers get on in Al Ain? Anyone with children of my ages have a view?

Many thanks in advance, James
Welcome to the Al Ain thread. Your kids will go to school and will make friends there. Got friends who have teenagers and they are settled here, plenty of after school activities etc. Mind you show me a teenager who doesn't love heading to Dubai for the weekend! Schooling is much cheaper here compared to AD, as is housing, and I think the weather is better (less humidity and fog).
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi - how are things moving along? Any news on when you are going?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Emmaflygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone!!
My husband moved to Al Ain 6 months ago. Myself and 3 kids, 2 weeks ago.
We are looking at Al Ain English School. My husband checked it out BUT my son is dyslexic. He was previously in a homeschool group. Does anyone know of any school here, or homeschool group who may cater for him.
So far we really like it!!! Just need visa to hurry so I can get driving and start our life here. We moved from the Caribbean.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

fixer382 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,

I read a few pages of this thread and decided to join, hope that's ok.

My wife took a job offer as a teacher and we are looking to move from London to Al Ain by this September. I have 3 children, they will be joining year 4, 7, 10 by Sept.

I was looking at the AAESS school, does anyone have any children attending or have any knowledge of that school? any feed back will be much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.