Living in Al Ain

Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all
Default Al Ain to Muscat

Hi there,

I'm off to Muscat on Friday morning for a few days but having never been before, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction re: border crossing.

I've been told that Hilli, the one past Bawadi Mall and the one past Danat are the best by three different people at work so don't know who to believe.

I'll be going on Friday morning around 7am.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Al Ain to Muscat

Originally Posted by frequentflyer1234
Hi there,

I'm off to Muscat on Friday morning for a few days but having never been before, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction re: border crossing.

I've been told that Hilli, the one past Bawadi Mall and the one past Danat are the best by three different people at work so don't know who to believe.

I'll be going on Friday morning around 7am.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
If you are travelling via the coast, ie Sohar then use Hili or Danat. If you are going via the mountains, ie Nizwa then use Mezyad, past Bawadi. Nizwa longer route but more picturesque!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:19 am
Just Joined

tina153 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Originally Posted by Claret_In_The_ME
Hey all

There's a terrific community here and, specifically, this Al Ain thread is awesome! There's some great information in here and I've learnt a great deal from the many forum members already.

I hope you don't mind me jumping right in and asking some questions about life in Al Ain, but I'm both anxious and excited about the prospect of living and working in the town. I've never lived abroad before, so I'm sure you can sympathise with the intrepidation! Some of these questions are touched upon by previous posts, but this thread was started over 5 years old now and I want to make sure my info is up to date!

My family and I are considering a move to Al Ain, which may happen as early as this September. My soon-to-be-wife is looking for work at an English Curriculum school and we're hoping to move ASAP with our 3 year old daughter.

If I may ask;

1 - Are there any areas of town we should avoid when choosing where to live? Likewise, are there any recommendations of good places to live?

2 - The school is located in Al Masoudi, which from the map seems to be on the outskirts of town to the north. Does anyone know what the area is like? What is the trip into town like?

3 - Regarding housing, what kind of house would an allowance of AED 110,000 get us? Ideally, we'd like to be detached, with an outside area for the little one to play in (garden preferable), 3-bedrooms and, most importantly of all, in a nice safe area. Are these realistic expectations considering the budget?

4 - I've had a quick look at some rental sites - firstly, what exactly is compound housing? Secondly, can anyone recommend a reliable rental agency/landlord?

5 - Has anyone here worked at the Institute of Applied Technology, or know of people who have? What is the school like to work for on the whole?

I'm sure I'll come up with a million more questions for you guys over the coming weeks and thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read and reply to my lengthy post!

Regards
Claret_in_the_ME?
Hi fellow Claret!!

I have just been offered a job in Al Ain and would be really interested in hearing from you as I probably have all the same questions you had!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Darren_T
Hi Claret,

I am from Manchester and I will be moving to Al Ain this August to start work at the IAT and so I have all the same questions as you. Have you had any luck finding many answers?

Cheers
Hi darren,

How's it going? I am close to Manchester and considering moving to Al Ain soon - got the job offer this morning!!!
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dfhap
Hi
We are hoping to move to Al Ain from Northe East of England later on in 2012.
Our heads are buzzing with similar questions.
Dawn
Hi Dawn,

Ditto the above - I have been offered a job in Al Ain (this morning) and they want me to fly out next Sunday!!! Help!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

kiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud ofkiwigirlinalain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aggers
Kia Ora Lanie, another kiwi here, from far north been here nineteen years, can meet up for a coffee if you like.
Sorry for late response. I hardly ever come on to this forum any more. I am now living in Abu Dhabi and was looking for a Doctor on this forum and came across this thread. I didn't realise it was still going. I still come to Al Ain regularly to visit friends so we should hook up some time?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dfhap
Hi
I am new to this forum. My Husband is going to start working in the NMC hospital Al Ain (he is a doctor). We are from Wakefield in West Yorkshire, UK.
I would be grateful to make some contacts with people living over in AL Ain to get my head round things.
He is starting there in November and I was going to join with my 2 kids in ? Jan (is this better - midway through school year - They are in reception and year 3) WHat British schools are there?
I will have a thousand more questions and I am glad to have found this most useful thread.
DFHAP
Hi,
I am from Castleford. My husband is also a Dr, but he works at Al Ain Hospital. We have been here for almost 3 years now.
I teach at AAESS and it is a good British school at a reasonable price.
Please PM me if you have any questions. x
Old Dec 7th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

AJ-UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I have a new job in al ain and will move there in 2 weeks. I am considering living in Dubai and commuting. ? I have also tried to look for places to stay in al ain on the net but there is nothing decent coming up....any suggestions?
Old Dec 7th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

IndigoGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AJ-UK
Hi all,

I have a new job in al ain and will move there in 2 weeks. I am considering living in Dubai and commuting. ? I have also tried to look for places to stay in al ain on the net but there is nothing decent coming up....any suggestions?
We are moving to al Ain in January - were considering commuting but have decided against it because of traffic and not the best drivers on the roads. It's a long commute. Let us know how you get on. Where are you working?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:37 am
Just Joined

DTCat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone.

I think I'm about to be offered a job in Al Ain and am starting to look at housing and schools etc. I will be working at the airport and have a housing allowance of 110,000 AED. Which areas would you recommend I look at and what standard of housing can I expect for the money? Any recommendations for schools for an A level student? I'm also into cycling and would like to join a group if there is one that enjoys a bit of social as well as the sport.

Thanks everyone.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl
We are moving to al Ain in January - were considering commuting but have decided against it because of traffic and not the best drivers on the roads. It's a long commute. Let us know how you get on. Where are you working?
Yes its long commute but its something i am use to. I will be working near the Al Ain airport at a manufacturing facility for aeroplane wings within the accounts department.

I'm trying to look for a place in dubai near E66 so i can easily join the motorway without being held up in the city traffic.

What will you be doing in al ain?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

IndigoGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes its long commute but its something i am use to. I will be working near the Al Ain airport at a manufacturing facility for aeroplane wings within the accounts department.

I'm trying to look for a place in dubai near E66 so i can easily join the motorway without being held up in the city traffic.

My husband will be working at ammroc at the airport. I am hoping to work as well but not too sure how easily that will pan out. Let me know how you get on � ����
Old Dec 10th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

I think your employer may come under the "semi-government" category so you will have to rent a place in AD emirate to get your housing allowance. There are plenty of great properties in Al Ain both compound and independent and prices are so much cheaper than Dubai you could afford to head there and stay in a half decent hotel nearly every weekend if you wanted. The roads are great here, the driving standards are most definitely not (compared to the UK) and you also have fog to contend with many mornings between oct-march.

You are right to explore all the options but don't write AA off before you even arrive - its got a large and thriving expat community
Old Dec 10th 2012, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluelionesse
I think your employer may come under the "semi-government" category so you will have to rent a place in AD emirate to get your housing allowance. There are plenty of great properties in Al Ain both compound and independent and prices are so much cheaper than Dubai you could afford to head there and stay in a half decent hotel nearly every weekend if you wanted. The roads are great here, the driving standards are most definitely not (compared to the UK) and you also have fog to contend with many mornings between oct-march.

You are right to explore all the options but don't write AA off before you even arrive - its got a large and thriving expat community
I have negotiated a 6 week paid accommodation where the company will be putting me up in a hotel in AA. I will use this time to find what suits me best and where a i feel most comfortable.

I am due to fly out next week so any other information on apartments in AA will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

AJ
Old Dec 26th 2012, 10:41 am
Just Joined

teachfirst2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I am considering teaching in UAE and have applied for a job at a school opening in September 2013 in Al Ain.

Born and bred in London, England so know very little about Al Ain. Have a few friends who have taught in Abu Dhabi but know very little about Al Ain

What are the differences between living and working Al Ain then Abu Dhabi?

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.