Living in Al Ain

Old May 31st 2012, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Claret_In_The_ME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Al Ain

Hey all

There's a terrific community here and, specifically, this Al Ain thread is awesome! There's some great information in here and I've learnt a great deal from the many forum members already.

I hope you don't mind me jumping right in and asking some questions about life in Al Ain, but I'm both anxious and excited about the prospect of living and working in the town. I've never lived abroad before, so I'm sure you can sympathise with the intrepidation! Some of these questions are touched upon by previous posts, but this thread was started over 5 years old now and I want to make sure my info is up to date!

My family and I are considering a move to Al Ain, which may happen as early as this September. My soon-to-be-wife is looking for work at an English Curriculum school and we're hoping to move ASAP with our 3 year old daughter.

If I may ask;

1 - Are there any areas of town we should avoid when choosing where to live? Likewise, are there any recommendations of good places to live?

2 - The school is located in Al Masoudi, which from the map seems to be on the outskirts of town to the north. Does anyone know what the area is like? What is the trip into town like?

3 - Regarding housing, what kind of house would an allowance of AED 110,000 get us? Ideally, we'd like to be detached, with an outside area for the little one to play in (garden preferable), 3-bedrooms and, most importantly of all, in a nice safe area. Are these realistic expectations considering the budget?

4 - I've had a quick look at some rental sites - firstly, what exactly is compound housing? Secondly, can anyone recommend a reliable rental agency/landlord?

5 - Has anyone here worked at the Institute of Applied Technology, or know of people who have? What is the school like to work for on the whole?

I'm sure I'll come up with a million more questions for you guys over the coming weeks and thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read and reply to my lengthy post!

Regards
Claret_in_the_ME?
Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Answered what I can in blue -good luck

Originally Posted by Claret_In_The_ME
Hey all

There's a terrific community here and, specifically, this Al Ain thread is awesome! There's some great information in here and I've learnt a great deal from the many forum members already.

I hope you don't mind me jumping right in and asking some questions about life in Al Ain, but I'm both anxious and excited about the prospect of living and working in the town. I've never lived abroad before, so I'm sure you can sympathise with the intrepidation! Some of these questions are touched upon by previous posts, but this thread was started over 5 years old now and I want to make sure my info is up to date!

My family and I are considering a move to Al Ain, which may happen as early as this September. My soon-to-be-wife is looking for work at an English Curriculum school and we're hoping to move ASAP with our 3 year old daughter.

If I may ask;

1 - Are there any areas of town we should avoid when choosing where to live? Likewise, are there any recommendations of good places to live.

2 - The school is located in Al Masoudi, which from the map seems to be on the outskirts of town to the north. Does anyone know what the area is like? What is the trip into town like?

The roads in Al Ain are of a good standard (though not all drivers are!), you can generally get anywhere in Al Ain in 10-20 minutes, except for the rush hour which is mainly caused by the schools, and affects the centre/south west of town more than the north.

3 - Regarding housing, what kind of house would an allowance of AED 110,000 get us? Ideally, we'd like to be detached, with an outside area for the little one to play in (garden preferable), 3-bedrooms and, most importantly of all, in a nice safe area. Are these realistic expectations considering the budget?

I would consider all areas in Al Ain to be safer than most places in the UK. Budget is fine and realistic. It will cost you a lot to maintain a garden with grass and trees in the summer, and very often you will have to create your garden yourself.

4 - I've had a quick look at some rental sites - firstly, what exactly is compound housing? Secondly, can anyone recommend a reliable rental agency/landlord?

Compound housing is where there are a few villas within a perimeter wall, normally with security on the gate (not strictly necessary here). Compounds can be from as little as 4 villas up to 200+.

I would recommend Al Ain Relocations (google them), trustworthy and helpful if you need assistance. There are lots of unregistered rental agents and if a problem does arise you won't see them for dust!

5 - Has anyone here worked at the Institute of Applied Technology, or know of people who have? What is the school like to work for on the whole?

I'm sure I'll come up with a million more questions for you guys over the coming weeks and thanks to anyone who has taken the time to read and reply to my lengthy post!

Regards
Claret_in_the_ME?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

heathcliffe54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks,

My hubby has been living in Abu Dhabi since early April and I am fonally going to join him with our two boys on 22nd June.

Hubby's job is in Abu Dhabi but we have come to the decision that we want to live in Al Ain. I know it's over an hour commute but he works with guys doing the same thing and we have decided to give it a go.

I have a few questions I hope you can all help with. Firstly, schools. I need to secure a place for my 4 year old. We have spoken to the Al Ain English Speaking School. Are there any others I should be considering? I need to move on this one and would appreciate any advice out there.

Secondly, areas to live. I would really like a 4 bed villa. In compound or not, not fussy. However, can I please get some advice on best areas to live in connection with getting kids to school and hubby near the road he needs to travel to Abu Dhabi every morning?

Really looking forward to arriving. Sure more questions will pop up. Would really appreciate you all taking some time to advise me. Thanks Lynn x
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

flood2 will become famous soon enoughflood2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by heathcliffe54
Hi folks,

My hubby has been living in Abu Dhabi since early April and I am fonally going to join him with our two boys on 22nd June.

Hubby's job is in Abu Dhabi but we have come to the decision that we want to live in Al Ain. I know it's over an hour commute but he works with guys doing the same thing and we have decided to give it a go.

I have a few questions I hope you can all help with. Firstly, schools. I need to secure a place for my 4 year old. We have spoken to the Al Ain English Speaking School. Are there any others I should be considering? I need to move on this one and would appreciate any advice out there.

Secondly, areas to live. I would really like a 4 bed villa. In compound or not, not fussy. However, can I please get some advice on best areas to live in connection with getting kids to school and hubby near the road he needs to travel to Abu Dhabi every morning?

Really looking forward to arriving. Sure more questions will pop up. Would really appreciate you all taking some time to advise me. Thanks Lynn x
Why would you want to live in Al Ain rather than AD when your husband works there.

Have you or your husband actually been to Al Ain?

Its not just the travel in the morning, he also has to come home at night! His travel will be a minimum 2.5 to 3hrs a day? AD villa rentals have came down due to oversupply, why move to the Al Ain?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

heathcliffe54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks flood2.

I am going to look at both when I arrive but am definitely leaning towards Al Ain. The housing and education fees are much less than Abu Dhabi. My husband works with a couple of guys who commute from Al Ain and I think car sharing will be a possibility. Going to try to live near the AD road to keep the commute to a minimum for hubby. Might give me a longer drive for school but I think the benefits of Al Ain make the commute worth it.

Thinking we may commit to Al Ain for a year. If the commute proves too much, we can always move? Lynn x
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough

I really would think not only twice but 10 times. I've a colleague who does this journey daily and don't know how he does it.

The fog in the winter, very fast drivers, the long, dusty roads that make you hallucinate and possible nod off.

I'd move to either Al Reef or Khalifa city on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi where the rents a little cheaper...

For the sake of several thousand dirhams, I wouldn't unless you were desperate for a job out here and have no alternative...

Although people do the dubai - Abu Dhabi route daily, unless you live right on the outskirts, I'd stay well clear is my honest and sincere advice...
Old Jul 9th 2012, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Mk6666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heathcliffe54
Hi folks,

i am new to this forum and site. but i have been living in UAE ( Al AIn) since childhood. have seen many changes in here and changes from desert to this lovely city.....
coming to topic did u find AL Ain english speaking school a good one? else my cousins study in Al Ain juniors school. it is good one. and about accomodation, u can choose Zakher or Markhania or Manasir these areas are almost near to Al Ain-Abu Dhabi highway.
rest if anyone needs any help i would be more pleased to help out.....
Old Jul 20th 2012, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Darren_T is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Claret_In_The_ME
Hey all

If I may ask;

1 - Are there any areas of town we should avoid when choosing where to live? Likewise, are there any recommendations of good places to live?

Regards
Claret_in_the_ME?
Hi Claret,

I am from Manchester and I will be moving to Al Ain this August to start work at the IAT and so I have all the same questions as you. Have you had any luck finding many answers?

Cheers
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

stirlingsingle will become famous soon enoughstirlingsingle will become famous soon enough

Suggestions - things to do in Al Ain.
1. Home brewing group
2. Salvation Army (complete with band)
3. Women's mud wrestling
4. Philosophical/religious discussion group

Any more ideas?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Darren_T
Hi Claret,

I am from Manchester and I will be moving to Al Ain this August to start work at the IAT and so I have all the same questions as you. Have you had any luck finding many answers?

Cheers
@claret & @darren

first of all whts ur budget for the accomodation then i will let u know. secondly u can get accomodation in arab community thts away from town centre but it will be far. yes there is on housing society which is safe like for kids to play outside and its in the town centre. if u really want to have accomodation in tht i will check out and let u know wether there is empty house or no. rest wht more u want to know ask. will let u know.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

I'm writing a series of blogs about Al Ain -

http://mbfullemptyquarter.blogspot.c...-shopping.html

I've given GPS co-ordinates of all the places mentioned, so if you are new/coming to Al Ain and have google earth on your computer, you should be able to see where the main places are and get a feel for the place.

I'm not quite finished yet, still have part 3b (historical attractions), part 4 (places you will have to visit such as Etisalat, Municipality etc), part 5 (schools, might need some help with this one) and maybe a bonus one for all the places I have forgotten. If there is anywhere you think I should mention or you would like the co-ords for, please send me a private message.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

@Mk6666

Hi, I have been given 120,000 Dh housing allowance for the year but I can go over a little if needed.

Thanks
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

@darren yes u can find good accomodation in this range. if u need further info let me know.....
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

@Mk6666 Do you know of any reputable agents or suggest good places to live (we are a young couple with no children). Thanks.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darren_T
@Mk6666 Do you know of any reputable agents or suggest good places to live (we are a young couple with no children). Thanks.
Sent you a pm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.