Reload this Page >

A little help please.

A little help please.

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

jamesdavey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A little help please.

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so i thought i would introduce myself to you all. My name is James and im 23 and i'm currently living in the U.K. I have decided that I wasnt to experience life in a different country and was hoping to receive some advice.

I am educated to Degree level in English Literature, i gained a 2:2 from the University of Greenwich. I also have A Levels and GCSE's in further subjects. My work experience has mostly been in the Banking industry, I am currently working as an Underwriter for Barclays.

My reason for joining this site is that im looking to spend some time in the UAE and i have been researching the job sites but everyone requires an upfront fee. Im always dubious about sites that do this, hence i have not joined. I thought i would pose the question to people who have already done what i am looking to do. Any infomation or advice that you can give me about finding jobs or applying for jobs in the UAE would be much appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little help please.

Originally Posted by jamesdavey
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post so i thought i would introduce myself to you all. My name is James and im 23 and i'm currently living in the U.K. I have decided that I wasnt to experience life in a different country and was hoping to receive some advice.

I am educated to Degree level in English Literature, i gained a 2:2 from the University of Greenwich. I also have A Levels and GCSE's in further subjects. My work experience has mostly been in the Banking industry, I am currently working as an Underwriter for Barclays.

My reason for joining this site is that im looking to spend some time in the UAE and i have been researching the job sites but everyone requires an upfront fee. Im always dubious about sites that do this, hence i have not joined. I thought i would pose the question to people who have already done what i am looking to do. Any infomation or advice that you can give me about finding jobs or applying for jobs in the UAE would be much appreciated.
never pay a fee
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:51 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
never pay a fee
I second that emotion.......
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Everyone,

people here with years of experience are losing their jobs in the Banking sector. How about asking Barclays if they can transfer you?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:01 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I went to Greenwich too!

That aside, I agree with the others... never pay a fee to an agent - they can get up to the equivalent of 1/3 of your agreed salary from the employer as a fee (certainly in construction), so the rest is just pure greed and downright dodgy. In fact, you're doing them a favour by wanting a job.

Have you made enquiries for placements to foreign countries within Barclays? That may be a good way to start... and will allow you to be a bit more flexible as to where you end up along with not having to go through all the rigmarolle of CVs, interviews and all the rest.

---

Sorry BC - didn't read your last post properly!

Last edited by Hello.Kitty; Mar 3rd 2009 at 9:02 am. Reason: i r blind as a bat
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Yeah i have looked at the internal vacancies but there is nothing available in the UAE. Im interested in various jobs so a job in Banking is not a must. Its just the only profession i have experience in. I was hoping to gain an over view of the type of jobs that were avalible out there and find out the best way to apply. My main concern with changing countries is the fact that i would need a job, but not having any contacts out in the UAE its difficult to gauge what i need to do.

Im always cautious when it comes to Rewcruitment Agencies anyway, i fin them to be over hyped and over a very poor service. But im glad my suspicions were correct haha.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i have looked at the internal vacancies but there is nothing available in the UAE. Im interested in various jobs so a job in Banking is not a must. Its just the only profession i have experience in. I was hoping to gain an over view of the type of jobs that were avalible out there and find out the best way to apply. My main concern with changing countries is the fact that i would need a job, but not having any contacts out in the UAE its difficult to gauge what i need to do.

Im always cautious when it comes to Rewcruitment Agencies anyway, i fin them to be over hyped and over a very poor service. But im glad my suspicions were correct haha.
Jeez, and your degree was in English ????
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:13 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Are you admon in disguise? Are you admon in disguise... Are you admon, are you admon...

You get the drift...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks for your observations i will make sure i proof read my posts next time.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:27 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

No fewer than four question marks?! It'll be a Captain Capslock Alert next time...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:31 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks for your observations. I will make sure I proof read my posts next time.

hehehehe
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Are you admon in disguise? Are you admon in disguise... Are you admon, are you admon...

You get the drift...
Oh gawd, am I that bad? I shall go and beat myself in pennance...

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
No fewer than four question marks?! It'll be a Captain Capslock Alert next time...
I never shout...

Originally Posted by Roadking
hehehehe
{snigger}

Seriously, for the OP. The high-paid expat jobs are typically for experienced people. It used to be possible for Brits to get lower paid jobs, e.g. in the leisure/tourism industry, but I'm not sure how you'd fare now.

If you have a degree in English you could try doing a TEFL or similar and get a job teaching English - e.g. in the Higher Colleges of Technology...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gawd, am I that bad? I shall go and beat myself in pennance...

I never shout...

{snigger}

Seriously, for the OP. The high-paid expat jobs are typically for experienced people. It used to be possible for Brits to get lower paid jobs, e.g. in the leisure/tourism industry, but I'm not sure how you'd fare now.

If you have a degree in English you could try doing a TEFL or similar and get a job teaching English - e.g. in the Higher Colleges of Technology...

Yeah, good call. A TEFL course can be done fairly quickly, allowing you to teach English, not necessarily in a school, but at colleges. Be prepared though, the pay is not great, certainly not that high in KSA, it'll earn you enough to live comfortably out here, but its not gonna build any nest egg for the future.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
[/color]

Yeah, good call. A TEFL course can be done fairly quickly, allowing you to teach English, not necessarily in a school, but at colleges. Be prepared though, the pay is not great, certainly not that high in KSA, it'll earn you enough to live comfortably out here, but its not gonna build any nest egg for the future.
Well, he's only 23... Could be a bit of an adventure for him.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he's only 23... Could be a bit of an adventure for him.
Exactly.

Who wants to be a banker anyway?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.