Liquor license

Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:27 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Liquor license

I know that this has been discussed before, but reading the latest on the Vince and Michelle saga, it looks like if you are resident you have to have an alcohol license to drink in bars, correct?

A colleague disputes this - my take on it is that you are OK without a license unless you get into trouble with the police, correct?
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:35 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liquor license

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I know that this has been discussed before, but reading the latest on the Vince and Michelle saga, it looks like if you are resident you have to have an alcohol license to drink in bars, correct?

A colleague disputes this - my take on it is that you are OK without a license unless you get into trouble with the police, correct?
I don't think so, you just need it to buy booze at the shops.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:42 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I don't think so, you just need it to buy booze at the shops.
As far as I remember, a few years ago Time Out did article on this and included an alcohol license application form in each issue.

This sounds mad (but it is Dubai, after all) - I'm sure it said by law tourists should only drink in hotels where they are staying, and residents can't drink anywhere unless they have a license.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

i think you're right, northern lad, as far as i am aware, following the law to the letter, you do need to have a licence to drink anywhere here...

MM, xx
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i think you're right, northern lad, as far as i am aware, following the law to the letter, you do need to have a licence to drink anywhere here...

MM, xx
hmmmmmmmm BUT because the hubbies visa is in Sharjah we have to be in the country 6 months before we can apply......

Im not going to bother asking if they is right because his work have told him, AND THATS FINAL!!!! Nevermind im almost T-Total anyway....!!
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsHaps
hmmmmmmmm BUT because the hubbies visa is in Sharjah we have to be in the country 6 months before we can apply......

Im not going to bother asking if they is right because his work have told him, AND THATS FINAL!!!! Nevermind im almost T-Total anyway....!!
you do need a license to drink booze if you are a resident. Funny, i had a Dubai visa when i was with that lot.....
Old Sep 10th 2008, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

A Brit colleague of mine told me a couple of weeks ago about a situation his neighbour was in, who had a few mates around for a few beers. One of them stupidly decided to have a couple of beers too many and drive home. Subsequently, this guy was involved in an accident. The police were more interested in where he had been drinking, and turned up at the neighbours home demanding to see his alcohol licence. After he admitted he did not have one, they confiscated all the alcohol in the house, and the guy is still bricking it awaiting news about what's going to happen to him! He has been informed he will be prosecuted.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

new laws i believe xxx
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
new laws i believe xxx
No - not new. It's always been like this and we have been in UAE on and off since the early 90's. I am suprised that the Police didn't arrest them on the spot so maybe they have softened up on this one. It really is better to get a license just in case.
Old Sep 10th 2008, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

If it is mandatory to have a licence to drink in hotels and bars then hotel staff should ask for the licence and then serve people...
Plus, all those nightclubs/bars/etc, how many of the people frequenting them do actually have licences???
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
If it is mandatory to have a licence to drink in hotels and bars then hotel staff should ask for the licence and then serve people...
Plus, all those nightclubs/bars/etc, how many of the people frequenting them do actually have licences???
how could they do that when there are all the tourists here...as someone else pointed out, there's only an issue when something goes wrong...it's not difficult to get a licence, so there's no excuse really...

MM, xx
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

how could they do that when there are all the tourists here...as someone else pointed out, there's only an issue when something goes wrong...it's not difficult to get a licence, so there's no excuse really...

MM, xx
Well, you know better than me...I don't drink...
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:08 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scarletfan
A Brit colleague of mine told me a couple of weeks ago about a situation his neighbour was in, who had a few mates around for a few beers. One of them stupidly decided to have a couple of beers too many and drive home. Subsequently, this guy was involved in an accident. The police were more interested in where he had been drinking, and turned up at the neighbours home demanding to see his alcohol licence. After he admitted he did not have one, they confiscated all the alcohol in the house, and the guy is still bricking it awaiting news about what's going to happen to him! He has been informed he will be prosecuted.

Me thinks the prima facie evidence will have 'evaporated'
Oh that word has my name in it !
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Confucius
Well, you know better than me...I don't drink...
yeah, bacardi breezers can't really be classed as a "drink" can they...

MM, xx
Old Sep 10th 2008, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yeah, bacardi breezers can't really be classed as a "drink" can they...

MM, xx
It's Smirnoff MULE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.