Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

On line baggage label, why not?

On line baggage label, why not?

Old May 26th 2020, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute
Default On line baggage label, why not?

When we check-in online we can print our boarding pass, why not do the same for any bags?
Old May 26th 2020, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

Gavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really niceGavtek is just really nice
Default Re: On line baggage label, why not?

Because most people don't have the super sticky baggage label strips at home, and considering how stupid the average person is, they'd probably spend more time checking it was done properly at the airport (they'd still need to weigh, etc anyway) than it currently takes to do it.
Old May 26th 2020, 6:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiHo
When we check-in online we can print our boarding pass, why not do the same for any bags?
Security.
Old May 26th 2020, 10:01 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

And they need to know the weight - the biggest issue on many flights: not just people trying to carry as much luggage as possible but also to ensure the fuel is adequate for the payload. And they certainly cannot rely on a weight reported by the passenger.
Old May 26th 2020, 11:32 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of airlines have a station in the airport before the check in where you can print out your boarding cards and luggage tags. I remember jet star in Australia being one, you then deposited the bags at the bag drop with very minimal interaction - perhaps something similar can be introduced
Old May 26th 2020, 11:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Security.
When you can print your own luggage label at the airport, in what respect does not being able to print a label at home enhance security?

As already noted, it is a matter of weighing the bag and having the super-tough label available.
Old May 28th 2020, 9:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Gavtek
Because most people don't have the super sticky baggage label strips at home, and considering how stupid the average person is, they'd probably spend more time checking it was done properly at the airport (they'd still need to weigh, etc anyway) than it currently takes to do it.
I think the key point is covered here. The average person is very, very stupid.
Old May 28th 2020, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Qatar Airways has a print at home system. You do need the special holder though.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-qa/s...n/my-qtag.html

British airways has a digital version, but it's £80 for the tag.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...igital-bag-tag

Old May 28th 2020, 1:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I think the key point is covered here. The average person is very, very stupid.
I guess you're around the same age as me. ..... I regret that it took me nearly this long in life to fully appreciate that "the world is full of idiots", and the implications of that.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 28th 2020 at 1:13 pm.
Old May 29th 2020, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I guess you're around the same age as me. ..... I regret that it took me nearly this long in life to fully appreciate that "the world is full of idiots", and the implications of that.
There are some key performance indicators that point to this quite well. Consider activities that require a large input pool and then make a qualitative judgement on the outcome.

Things that include printed instructions warning not to do things you would not have done even at 3 years old, suggest a significant cohort less skilled.

Old May 29th 2020, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk
There are some key performance indicators that point to this quite well. Consider activities that require a large input pool and then make a qualitative judgement on the outcome.

Things that include printed instructions warning not to do things you would not have done even at 3 years old, suggest a significant cohort less skilled.
"Less skilled"

Indeed, my own daughter, who is all of thirteen years old, will often say, on hearing a news item or anecdote, "why would anyone do that!". Good question.
Old May 29th 2020, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check em out!

https://darwinawards.com/
Old May 31st 2020, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fezzer
Qatar Airways has a print at home system. You do need the special holder though.
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-qa/s...n/my-qtag.html

British airways has a digital version, but it's £80 for the tag.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...igital-bag-tag
Thanks Fezzer,
Given that the powers that be a looking to cut passenger number, this might be something of a criteria. If you can't weigh a bag and operate a printer you can't fly. My primary reason for having posed this question stems from my failure to understand why check-in at passenger terminals are clogged up with what appears to me to be air freight.
Old May 31st 2020, 2:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiHo
Thanks Fezzer,
Given that the powers that be a looking to cut passenger number, this might be something of a criteria. If you can't weigh a bag and operate a printer you can't fly. My primary reason for having posed this question stems from my failure to understand why check-in at passenger terminals are clogged up with what appears to me to be air freight.
Many of us can operate a printer but do not own one. Buying one just for a very occasional bagtag would seem a little excessive! Similarly I do not own a set of scales!
Old May 31st 2020, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: On line baggage label, why not?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Many of us can operate a printer but do not own one. Buying one just for a very occasional bagtag would seem a little excessive! Similarly I do not own a set of scales!
I would ordinarily have suggested the office or a friend or possible pronto print. However given your spartan approach to personal possessions, I don't the need for hold luggage is likely to trouble you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.