British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   "limit" on visit visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/limit-visit-visas-529183/)

Spike80 Apr 14th 2008 9:13 am

"limit" on visit visas

Hi,

Anyone heard of a limit applied to visit visas. I remember there was talk that you couldn't have 2 in a row and a friend told me yesterday that they said at the Al Ain border post that because he had 4 previous visit visas he couldn't get another one in the future.

Anyone any experience of this beyond what is rumours and hearsay ??

admon Apr 14th 2008 9:26 am

Re: "limit" on visit visas

Originally Posted by Spike80 (Post 6205279)
Hi,

Anyone heard of a limit applied to visit visas. I remember there was talk that you couldn't have 2 in a row and a friend told me yesterday that they said at the Al Ain border post that because he had 4 previous visit visas he couldn't get another one in the future.

http://www.gulfnews.com/uaessentials.../10067130.html

There is a lot of talk on the visit visa front.
Laws have apparently been brought in since that article was issued to further restrict the amount of visit visas a person can be issued consecutively (I believe it is 2 now), but I could not find anything on a quick search.

Since the workers amnesty, there is a general policy of forcing workers here onto official work visas, rather than turning a blind eye to visit visa status.

How much of it is being enforced is anyones guess, as I am sure many people will have wildly differing accounts.
The best bet would be to go with the law, then you have no problem.
When you get a job, ensure your employer will issue you with a resident visa.

twinkle-star Apr 14th 2008 10:27 am

Hi,

Ive renewed mine 4 times since July.
1) a UK trip for 3wks
2) a 1month extension don e @ embassy here.
3) a Oman border quick turnaround trip and
4) a uk trip for 10 days

I am still here but visa up end of month??:eek::eek::eek:

admon Apr 14th 2008 10:29 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6205621)
Ive renewed mine 4 times since July.
1) a UK trip for 3wks
2) a 1month extension don e @ embassy here.
3) a Oman border quick turnaround trip and
4) a uk trip for 10 days

I am still here but visa up end of month??:eek::eek::eek:

lets hope you aren't packing for a long british summer...

twinkle-star Apr 14th 2008 10:33 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6205635)
lets hope you aren't packing for a long british summer...

What you mean 3 months in the cool uk summertime
being waited on hand and foot by my mummy.
No Jun/Jul/Aug swellting desert heat
Out on the town everyweekend with my chums from home.
No housework......Hmmmmmmmmm!!:sneaky:

Spike80 Apr 14th 2008 11:40 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6205652)
What you mean 3 months in the cool uk summertime
being waited on hand and foot by my mummy.
No Jun/Jul/Aug swellting desert heat
Out on the town everyweekend with my chums from home.
No housework......Hmmmmmmmmm!!:sneaky:

I guess the two times is the actual law and its just not enforced as it should be. and the Al Ain border post, well who knows what happens there, who does a visa run there anyway???

Desert Rat Apr 14th 2008 11:42 am

The limit is 2 months but its not enforced, if you stay longer without rebewing you pay a fine on exit of AED100 per day. It can be extended for up to a month for AED500.

However, easy to just nip to the border and pay AED200 to go in and out of Oman, that's if you go by car.

There doesn't seem to be any restriction on the number of times you can come in and out, we have guys who visit every couple of weeks from the uk and must have come in and out 20 times a year without any bother.

Meow Apr 14th 2008 12:11 pm

I understand that it is yet another ones of those issues that depends on your nationality...

Norm_uk Apr 15th 2008 11:19 am

Hi,

Facts are that this doesn't apply to the nationalities who get automatic visas upon entry as there are many people who have been here for years without issue. Those who need to apply for visas are subject to this rule but I know that again will also depend on nationality.

It is always advisable to get a residence visa though because it makes life much easier...if they wanted to immigration could apply the rule if they don't like you! You're better protected with a residence visa and being sponsored by a company isn't the only way to get one (you can set up a trade license etc) if you are here but not wanting to work officially for anyone.

I know quite a few Brits who have been on residence visas for several years and it's just a big pain in the arse and should be avoided if you can help it.

N.

Inselaffen Apr 15th 2008 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 6211403)
Facts are that this doesn't apply to the nationalities who get automatic visas upon entry as there are many people who have been here for years without issue. Those who need to apply for visas are subject to this rule but I know that again will also depend on nationality.

It is always advisable to get a residence visa though because it makes life much easier...if they wanted to immigration could apply the rule if they don't like you! You're better protected with a residence visa and being sponsored by a company isn't the only way to get one (you can set up a trade license etc) if you are here but not wanting to work officially for anyone.

I know quite a few Brits who have been on residence visas for several years and it's just a big pain in the arse and should be avoided if you can help it.

N.

I was tempted to drop my old company in it with the Immigration people for employing Indians/Pakistani's without Residence permits. But decided against it as I had no gripe with those individuals.

ScotsExpat Apr 15th 2008 11:25 am

The only time I have come across this was trying to get 8 or 9 guys into Abu Dhabi for a training course...

All bar one had a GCC residency of some sort, the last guy was a Romanian/Canadian. We were advised that AD was not issuing visit visa's full stop and so had to arrange for a visit visa in DXB, fly him in there and drive him thru to AD......

twinkle-star Apr 15th 2008 11:27 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6211437)
The only time I have come across this was trying to get 8 or 9 guys into Abu Dhabi for a training course...

All bar one had a GCC residency of some sort, the last guy was a Romanian/Canadian. We were advised that AD was not issuing visit visa's full stop and so had to arrange for a visit visa in DXB, fly him in there and drive him thru to AD......

Theres always one!!!

lionheart Apr 15th 2008 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 6211403)
It is always advisable to get a residence visa though because it makes life much easier...
N.

Slight contradiction here or was it a keyboard processing error?

admon Apr 15th 2008 11:37 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6211461)

a slip of the mouse, no doubt

Norm_uk Apr 15th 2008 11:41 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6211461)

The official term for it is called typing posts whilst talking on the phone...