Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lighting shops in Dubai?

Lighting shops in Dubai?

Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice
Question Lighting shops in Dubai?

Hi

Looking to buy a chandelier for our new place, but all the ones we have seen so far have looked quite tradtional while the rest of our furniture is modern. Can anyone suggest any shops selling more modern designs?

Any websites would also be appreciated

Thanks
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:29 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lighting shops in Dubai?

Originally Posted by Robbies
Hi

Looking to buy a chandelier for our new place, but all the ones we have seen so far have looked quite tradtional while the rest of our furniture is modern. Can anyone suggest any shops selling more modern designs?

Thanks
there's a shop which sells modern ones upstairs in the same place where Carpet Land and Curtain Land are, near the Maktoum brigde, guess it's called Oud Metha, behind Al Nasr...if that makes any sense. There are actually quiet a few furniture shops in that area that sell modern lighting, so have a drive around.
Also The One has 'funky' chandeliers.
There's a lighting shop on Umm Sequimm street, called Massive, past the big Marina Warehouse.
Upstairs in Mall of the Emirates are a few modern furniture shops, like ID design, they sell a few as well...
There's also a ligthing shop in Wafi, but that's very expensive...
And there's the Courtyard in Al Quoz, for a bit of unusal...
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Thanks MH - very useful. Will try to get past a few of those to have a look.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 6:39 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Dragonmart has some really cool funky modern fittings and they are all pretty reasonably prices.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
there's a shop which sells modern ones upstairs in the same place where Carpet Land and Curtain Land are, near the Maktoum brigde, guess it's called Oud Metha, behind Al Nasr...if that makes any sense. There are actually quiet a few furniture shops in that area that sell modern lighting, so have a drive around.
That's the Pyramid Building & yes, it is Oud Metha. Plenty of parking around there.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meow
That's the Pyramid Building & yes, it is Oud Metha. Plenty of parking around there.
We went to Wafi City last night, found Pyramids (although this was just a health spa & restaruants). Saw a bigger Pyramid building (Raffles?) Nothing there either - seemed to be part of Wafi City. I'm assuming we were in the wrong place. Any advice on directions to the Pyramid building??

Went to Dragon Mart - big selection but nothing modern.

The hunt continues...
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:06 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Wafi City last night, found Pyramids (although this was just a health spa & restaruants). Saw a bigger Pyramid building (Raffles?) Nothing there either - seemed to be part of Wafi City. I'm assuming we were in the wrong place. Any advice on directions to the Pyramid building??

Went to Dragon Mart - big selection but nothing modern.

The hunt continues...
lol...the Pyramid building is in Oud Metha, nothing to do with Wafi...confusing eh..it's in between the road leading up to the Maktoum Bridge and the Al Nasr area...
www.carpetlandme.com is the website for Carpetland, maybe they have a map cause they are in the same building, which looks more like an office type of building.
Also Quattro is there, a very quirky shop that sells some modern unusual lighting, www.quattrome.com

I have not checked out these websites, so no idea what they are like
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Thumbs up Re: Lighting shops in Dubai?

lol...the Pyramid building is in Oud Metha, nothing to do with Wafi...confusing eh..it's in between the road leading up to the Maktoum Bridge and the Al Nasr area...
www.carpetlandme.com is the website for Carpetland, maybe they have a map cause they are in the same building, which looks more like an office type of building.
Also Quattro is there, a very quirky shop that sells some modern unusual lighting, www.quattrome.com

I have not checked out these websites, so no idea what they are like
I've learned that company websites here suck - they are information about the company (or its parent company) and that internet shopping is almost non-existent here!

Anyhoo...

I'll have a 2nd attempt at finding this place this week. I've attached a map - can you let me know where on the map this place is? I can get from Jumeirah 1 to work, the Palm, the Marina, Mall of the Emirates or a golf course. I've never been stuck for directions anywhere before, but Dubai has me screwed!

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Lighting shops in Dubai?-whereisit.jpg  
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:43 am
hmmmm...nice

I've learned that company websites here suck - they are information about the company (or its parent company) and that internet shopping is almost non-existent here!

Anyhoo...

I'll have a 2nd attempt at finding this place this week. I've attached a map - can you let me know where on the map this place is? I can get from Jumeirah 1 to work, the Palm, the Marina, Mall of the Emirates or a golf course. I've never been stuck for directions anywhere before, but Dubai has me screwed!

Thanks

ohhhh...lol, well, I don't do maps...I can look at them for ages and they still don't mean anything to me...you have got the right area, I can tell that much...and I can drive there no problem but I could not even begin to describe it. I cannot picture the route in my mind if that makes any sense, even though I can drive to it without any problem...and no, I am not blond.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 4:56 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

ohhhh...lol, well, I don't do maps...I can look at them for ages and they still don't mean anything to me...you have got the right area, I can tell that much...and I can drive there no problem but I could not even begin to describe it. I cannot picture the route in my mind if that makes any sense, even though I can drive to it without any problem...and no, I am not blond.
I understand that poor map-reading skills is a woman thing, just like poor relationship skills is a man thing...happy to be proved wrong.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:04 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by lionheart
I understand that poor map-reading skills is a woman thing, just like poor relationship skills is a man thing...happy to be proved wrong.
so what you're saying is you cannot read a map and you're crap at relationships...oh boy
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:19 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart

You're wrong. I can read a map & parallel park better than 90% of men.

These stereotypes are so dull....
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:21 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Robbie you need to be near the malaysian consulate, drive past Lamcy plaza, it being on your right and you should come to the back of the Pyramid building.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:22 am
Bored liberal

Anyhoo...

Thanks
Hi Robbies

I promise it isn't hard to find. If you take SZR from Jumeirah, you just stay on it, heading to Mahktoum Bridge. After the signposted exit to Lamcy Plaza, you go through an underpass and as you go through want to get in the right hand lane. As you come up you take the little slip road to the right, in front of the Pyramid Building (it's an office type building, with shops on the ground floor & pyramid shapes on the roof - you'll recognise it when you see it).

The slip road takes you to a roundabout & you'll see carparks too.

Good luck.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
You're wrong. I can read a map & parallel park better than 90% of men.

These stereotypes are so dull....
wasted skill here - the parallel parking i mean!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.