Life and work in Riyadh

Life and work in Riyadh

Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road
Default Life and work in Riyadh

Hi,

Great forum, glad I found it.

Basics: Looks like I'll be offered a job in Riyadh, working in a big (local) bank. I've been asked to travel to Saudi, get my feet on the ground, have several more interviews, visit some compounds, meet some expat families.

I have a wife, young daughter, and possibly a 2nd little one on the way (they do pop out at the most unbelievable times..)

So, I've searched the forums for general info, and to address some more specific queries. I'm sure there is more I do need to know, but just trying to get all my ducks in a row prior to the journey out, so I can nail everything in one go. So, here are my questions for the forum, hope you can help:

1) We'll be visiting some compounds. I have a housing allowance, though not sure about guranteed compound spot. Is it the norm to put a definitive request in for the provision of a spot at a good compound? What influence/options to organisations have in this respect? I have read it's best to bring cash/cheque etc when visiting compounds, is this to put down a deposit..or to (ahem)..line a pocket or 2 and move up the list? (sorry, have to ask). This really would be a deal breaker if the right housing is not available. If you know someone at a compund, can they help expedite the process? (would be looking for a 3 bed villa/apt).
2) Family. I hate to think I'll be without my family for up to 3 months - is this the norm for a move such as this? i.e. I move out to commence work, then the family visa process is initiated, taking around 3 months. What ae some experiences with this, how hard have you found it? Is it possible for the family to come over sooner on a different visa type?

I have other questions, but will continue to search forums..hope to tackle the above 2 as a priority, so appreciate the feedback and guidance.

We're excited about the move, if it works out it will be a big step up for me and an excellent opportunity to save cash, as well as a real cultural experience for our family, so keen to make sure I do everything possible to make it work.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:14 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Life and work in Riyadh

Originally Posted by thecentennial
Hi,

Great forum, glad I found it.

Basics: Looks like I'll be offered a job in Riyadh, working in a big (local) bank. I've been asked to travel to Saudi, get my feet on the ground, have several more interviews, visit some compounds, meet some expat families.

I have a wife, young daughter, and possibly a 2nd little one on the way (they do pop out at the most unbelievable times..)

So, I've searched the forums for general info, and to address some more specific queries. I'm sure there is more I do need to know, but just trying to get all my ducks in a row prior to the journey out, so I can nail everything in one go. So, here are my questions for the forum, hope you can help:

1) We'll be visiting some compounds. I have a housing allowance, though not sure about guranteed compound spot. Is it the norm to put a definitive request in for the provision of a spot at a good compound? What influence/options to organisations have in this respect? I have read it's best to bring cash/cheque etc when visiting compounds, is this to put down a deposit..or to (ahem)..line a pocket or 2 and move up the list? (sorry, have to ask). This really would be a deal breaker if the right housing is not available. If you know someone at a compund, can they help expedite the process? (would be looking for a 3 bed villa/apt).
2) Family. I hate to think I'll be without my family for up to 3 months - is this the norm for a move such as this? i.e. I move out to commence work, then the family visa process is initiated, taking around 3 months. What ae some experiences with this, how hard have you found it? Is it possible for the family to come over sooner on a different visa type?

I have other questions, but will continue to search forums..hope to tackle the above 2 as a priority, so appreciate the feedback and guidance.

We're excited about the move, if it works out it will be a big step up for me and an excellent opportunity to save cash, as well as a real cultural experience for our family, so keen to make sure I do everything possible to make it work.
welcome!

i'll have a crack at answering #1 for you, some of the others have family here and will be better placed to answer that one...

the idea of having cheque/cash available is for the deposit and not necessarily to grease the wheels (haven't needed to do so myself, and haven't heard if any grease is necessary when it comes to compounds?) basically, a compound either has a vacancy there and then, has one in a week or two, or doesn't like the look of you and will 'put you on the list'. the idea of the cash is to address the first two scenarios because the idea of a list here seems to be the path of least resistance; if you're standing in front of me with a cheque book / cash, it's less work for me than to go over to the list and start calling people. if they do say a couple of weeks, get a firm date and still make the deposit. if they don't need to take a deposit, be careful, that may just be the brush off or the date is most likely a few months away.

i'm not sure about leveraging in regards to a compound. one thing to look out for is that some companies have been burnt by compounds in the past by getting the company to sign a guarantee over and above a safety deposit and once the tenant has left, some dodgy claims have been made to the company to fix up problems. for that reason, i know my company was unwilling to sign the guarantee, but was happy to provide a confirmation of service letter (required) and it was all smooth sailing.

very good idea to come out and have a look around, do you know how long you'll be in town for? it would might help with your impression to be here on a weekend to try and get a feel of riyadh life outside the 9 - 5pm (which, incidentally, is more 8 - 4pm in the magic kingdom)

best of luck and i'll let the more experienced members of the bored fill in the gaps/rebuke my responses...
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

Have to agree with previous post on compounds-really depends on timing and luck! Ofcourse if your company has villas on its books, it does help-these tend to be "unavailable" even when not occupied given the shortage.
On the residence permit, took me about 4 weeks to get it and family was here by week 6.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies - and for clarifying the compound query - it makes sense. My (could be) employer recently mentioned vacancies are on the increase (or availability is getting better) as the financial crisis is pulling more expats back home..for those over there, is this a feeling you are getting?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:14 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies - and for clarifying the compound query - it makes sense. My (could be) employer recently mentioned vacancies are on the increase (or availability is getting better) as the financial crisis is pulling more expats back home..for those over there, is this a feeling you are getting?
My company is definitely saying this.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:36 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

from the scuttlebut, yes, but nothing concrete. a lot of my colleagues are coming to the end of their tour of duty but they're choosing to stay put b/c of the conditions being more uncertain in their respective home countries than here in the magic kingdom.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

So if I'm offered a villa/flat in e.g. "2 weeks time" or on the spot, pay the deposit-I guess that would also mean paying the rent on an empty house until I arrive formally for work? This could be 2 or 3 months from what I have read on this forum - of course I will do my best to speed up the process, though I'm guessing there's only so much one can influence.

Anyone done this? Guess it would be the difference between accepting the job and not, so probably not a bad thing to do. I can always sub-let to a few of you guys...
Old Jan 18th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

As you may have already have discovered, once you arrive here in KSA ( after doing all the medical health checks ) , you will probably need to do another medical in Kingdom. Once this one comes back clear,you will be issued with your Iqama - the Residency Permit.

The Iqama is also your ID so you carry this around with you at all times,and this is also the key to getting your family over as soon as possible. Getting the Iqama takes about two weeks from arriving. THe processing of the family visa - if all is in order - can be done quickly, but again you may expect to wait around three months before the family can join you, as your wife will also have to do the medicals.

It is tough being away from the family, but you can use that three months to sort out education for the kid(s) and maybe look at what your wife can do whilst she is over here. Compound life can seem life a imprisonment, as women are not allowed to drive, so she will be somewhat restricted to where she can go unless she has a driver or unlimited use of a taxi!

Best of luck.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:52 am
Just Joined

wimbledon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
As you may have already have discovered, once you arrive here in KSA ( after doing all the medical health checks ) , you will probably need to do another medical in Kingdom. Once this one comes back clear,you will be issued with your Iqama - the Residency Permit.

The Iqama is also your ID so you carry this around with you at all times,and this is also the key to getting your family over as soon as possible. Getting the Iqama takes about two weeks from arriving. THe processing of the family visa - if all is in order - can be done quickly, but again you may expect to wait around three months before the family can join you, as your wife will also have to do the medicals.

It is tough being away from the family, but you can use that three months to sort out education for the kid(s) and maybe look at what your wife can do whilst she is over here. Compound life can seem life a imprisonment, as women are not allowed to drive, so she will be somewhat restricted to where she can go unless she has a driver or unlimited use of a taxi!

Best of luck.
this is great info. luv the randomness of getting a compound spot.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by wimbledon
this is great info. luv the randomness of getting a compound spot.
... now that statement will come back to haunt you...
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:38 am
Just Joined

wimbledon is an unknown quantity at this point

i was being sarcasitic. it s the biggest bane in my life. misses 11 mo pregnant and taking care of our three year old whilst living with mother in law. lucky me
Old Feb 1st 2009, 4:58 am

i was being sarcasitic. it s the biggest bane in my life. misses 11 mo pregnant and taking care of our three year old whilst living with mother in law. lucky me
get a hold of bill @ www.britishcommunityservices.com and have a chat if you're not in-country. am sure he can help you out with a few pointers.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 5:16 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife is 11 months pregnant? Is she an elephant then?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:17 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Your wife is 11 months pregnant? Is she an elephant then?