British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   life for a single female expat? (riyadh) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/life-single-female-expat-riyadh-693223/)

yrsammit Nov 11th 2010 10:54 pm

life for a single female expat? (riyadh)

A friend of mine has recently been offered a position as an English-Arabic translator in Riyadh. She's a single female in her 20s. The position is with this company: http://www.sanad.com.sa/. The details of the offer are still being negotiated. She has lived in Egypt and speaks fluent Arabic, but asked me for advice about living in Riyadh. I'm still only one month new here, though.

Can anyone offer any advice for her or details on what to expect? For example,
-Can single women live alone on western compounds?
-Can they live alone elsewhere, or even if they can is this practical?
-Are single women only allowed into the KSA if they have "sponsor" families?
-Do her circumstances depend greatly on the company? Or are there a set of pretty standard rules regarding bringing single women into the country?
-Will she have the same set of (albeit limited) freedoms that women with families have - like she can get taxis and go shopping and carry about her business around the city unimpeded?

Thanks in advance :) I hope I don't offend anyone with my ignorance, I'd just really like to help my friend out with some solid info.

hoofie2002 Nov 12th 2010 3:49 am

Re: life for a single female expat? (riyadh)

Is she an Egyptian Muslim woman ? I would imagine even with a conservative cultural background she would find Riyadh extremely backward. All the Egyptians I used to work with hated the Saudis with a passion considering them thick and uncultured - although they, like the rest of us, were happy to take their money.

coffindodger Nov 12th 2010 6:07 am

As you know it would be very difficult for a single lady here in Riyadh.
Unless she was living / sharing in a compound, it would not be easy for her to live here,
She Cannot Drive
She cannot meet other Male friends evenwork friends for a coffee in Starbucks
Sponsoring her, family well i think acording to the labour law that would not be an option.

Her social life could be next to nil.
Or certainly very limited.

Depending on her expat package accomadation could be a problem for her.

However in saying that we do have 2 ladies from Eygpt in our ladies department one loves it here and the other hates this place.

NaimTakieddin Nov 12th 2010 8:00 am

Hey buddy nevertheless I do not give any value to such thread i.e i can help people / me and wife are looking re-settle/ a single blond charming european chick is coming to here or there or out there..

I WOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING WITH ALL RESPECT

I am in direct connect with this company >>> NOW if you re a well character for real, unlike 80% of poeple who express their dreams and allusions AND if your virtual friend is for real as well let her call me..

I DOUBT IT !!!

yrsammit Nov 12th 2010 8:39 am

Originally Posted by coffindodger (Post 8977127)
As you know it would be very difficult for a single lady here in Riyadh.
Unless she was living / sharing in a compound, it would not be easy for her to live here,
She Cannot Drive
She cannot meet other Male friends evenwork friends for a coffee in Starbucks
Sponsoring her, family well i think acording to the labour law that would not be an option.

Her social life could be next to nil.
Or certainly very limited.

Most of this she's already aware of, her very limited social prospects. I already suggested to her that she probably shouldn't take the position unless a spot in a compound is guaranteed, but I wasn't sure if this was even possible for a single woman.

I've heard from a few single African girls that they are here working for "sponsor" families or individuals, who they also live with. So I wondered if that was the norm.

My friend is American, by the way. Like me :thumbup: (hope y'all don't mind)

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin (Post 8977285)
I am in direct connect with this company >>> NOW if you re a well character for real, unlike 80% of poeple who express their dreams and allusions AND if your virtual friend is for real as well let her call me..

I'm a little confused by this post. Perhaps I shouldn't have named the company? I wanted to point out that, from what I could tell, the company seems well established and "legitimate."

lionheart Nov 12th 2010 11:01 am

Hey buddy nevertheless I do not give any value to such thread i.e i can help people / me and wife are looking re-settle/ a single blond charming european chick is coming to here or there or out there..

I DOUBT IT !!!

What on earth are you talking about? Are you drunk?

heartofdarkness Nov 12th 2010 5:31 pm

I DOUBT IT !!!

Free internet at Hotel bar in Bahrain

SugarMetal Nov 12th 2010 8:15 pm

I think it would be very tough and probably quite lonely, I don't think I could do it.

NaimTakieddin Nov 13th 2010 3:28 am

Conventionally no western foreigner ever -in particular FEMALES- could rationally think about handling a job in KSA unless she s been provided with every single detail about 1- what the exact job description is 2- what are the added to contract benefits 3- where is she going to live and what is the envoronment like 4- whom would be around her in workplace 5- whom would be assigned to tackle her movements (the under-demand transportation in KSA is one of the very intricate hassle for FEMALES here)

People who do not know how yokels look to foreigners are absolutely naive that they could not think maturely about what does it mean to come and work in KSA.

seal the deal ......:thumbsup: