Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Life in the Middle East

Life in the Middle East

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:24 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in the Middle East

Originally Posted by TA5
I assure you, he leads a trite and meaningless life.
!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:45 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaniWebmaster2
If you don't like Dubai or the U.S. then and continue to rave about it, then you will find life lifeless and dull.
Where exactly was it written we dislike both Dubai and the U.S.?? The U.S. Government yes! Not the country.

As for having a lifeless and dull life... nah!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:22 pm
A Natural Blonde

Who do you know who is a republican, a gun carrier, a redneck, and someone with religion. Because seeing you come from, gun laws are strict, Las Vegas might be the only place where you might meet a "real" redneck, and religious-the only people you might see religious are the people who come knockin on your door.
http://www.funky.org/simpsons/soundbites/cletus1.wav

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cletus_Spuckler
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 12:57 pm
W10

Who do you know who is a republican, a gun carrier, a redneck, and someone with religion. Because seeing you come from, gun laws are strict, Las Vegas might be the only place where you might meet a "real" redneck, and religious-the only people you might see religious are the people who come knockin on your door.

You know you've lost when you result to arguing over semantics, instead of the jist of the statement

Old Aug 22nd 2006, 1:08 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Who do you know who is a republican, a gun carrier, a redneck, and someone with religion
How about TA5?

Well, I don't *know* him, because I never met him. But I know him, if you catch my drift.

Because seeing you come from, gun laws are strict, Las Vegas might be the only place where you might meet a "real" redneck, and religious-the only people you might see religious are the people who come knockin on your door.
We've travelled pretty widely in America, especially the "shithole desert" (© TA5, 2006) parts of it. It wouldn't surprise me if we've actually seen more of the country than Tom or yourself (assuming that you're a Yank too). We've been to our share of redneck diners... rednecks *are* amusing to watch from a distance. Some of the more advanced ones have even learned to read silently without moving their lips.

If you don't like Dubai or the U.S. then and continue to rave about it, then you will find life lifeless and dull
Erm... where did I say that I didn't like the US?

Allow me to quote from a post I made earlier in this very thread :

"...not everyone in America is a neocon, thank God. At least 50% are sane, rational, intelligent people who care about the world (or, they're simply not Republicans, which is good enough for me). Shame they're not in charge. America is a beautiful country (apart from the shithole desert parts full of rednecks shagging their sisters and shooting black people, and the overhyped fake places like Los Angeles), and it's an absolute crime that it's being so badly run. America deserves so much better"

Yes, I despise the current US government (as does most of the world and half the American electorate). But thankfully, the government *isn't* the country.

Last edited by Eeyore; Aug 22nd 2006 at 1:10 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

DaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TA5
I assure you, he leads a trite and meaningless life.
Well, TA5 for one shows themselves to be better than others. For your info Dani is a known way to spell a nickname for a girl. Not a "he". duh.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

DaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to allDaniWebmaster2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by W10
As I said to TA5 before - being white and male, he's unlikely to have noticed his civil liberties being eroded. And is unlikely to ever notice - which means it's ok to think nothing has changed I guess...
It's not that I don't see them being eroded. It's just I was wondering what he thought personally, on what freedoms he thought were lacking.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GarethR
How about TA5?

Well, I don't *know* him, because I never met him. But I know him, if you catch my drift.

We've travelled pretty widely in America, especially the "shithole desert" (© TA5, 2006) parts of it. It wouldn't surprise me if we've actually seen more of the country than Tom or yourself (assuming that you're a Yank too). We've been to our share of redneck diners... rednecks *are* amusing to watch from a distance. Some of the more advanced ones have even learned to read silently without moving their lips.

Erm... where did I say that I didn't like the US?

Allow me to quote from a post I made earlier in this very thread :

"...not everyone in America is a neocon, thank God. At least 50% are sane, rational, intelligent people who care about the world (or, they're simply not Republicans, which is good enough for me). Shame they're not in charge. America is a beautiful country (apart from the shithole desert parts full of rednecks shagging their sisters and shooting black people, and the overhyped fake places like Los Angeles), and it's an absolute crime that it's being so badly run. America deserves so much better"

Yes, I despise the current US government (as does most of the world and half the American electorate). But thankfully, the government *isn't* the country.

Sorry, maybe I did not read your part thoroughly. I do believe our government to be factitious sheep that talk out of their ass. But thankfully the government are only a part of America and there is so much more that we can do. Like you said the U.S. is lacking in intelligent people, partly because our education system is so lacking. You are right in many aspects and are highly intelligent individual, pardon my boldness.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sassy
I love Dubai, I love watching it grow, I am still totally skint and overdrawn every month just like the UK but I would still rather be here than there anyday.........
Hi Sassy, totally agree with you. I'm coming back to Dubai later this week after being in the UK since 31 July and I can't wait! It was great catching up with family & friends, but even the kids are saying they're homesick for Dubai now and want to get back.

We've been in Dubai now for 3 years and still love it. Of course there's an abundance of ****w1ts here, but it's pretty easy to spot them and avoid them.

Definitely not moving back to the UK any time soon!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:19 pm
JPL
Just Joined

JPL is just really niceJPL is just really niceJPL is just really niceJPL is just really niceJPL is just really niceJPL is just really niceJPL is just really niceJPL is just really nice

Id like to move to Dubai myself but seen as i work in accounts it's not looking too good seen as Indians,etc will work for a fraction that i would be looking for
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPL
Id like to move to Dubai myself but seen as i work in accounts it's not looking too good seen as Indians,etc will work for a fraction that i would be looking for

Not necessarily, depends on whether or not you are a qualified chartered accountant - some multinationals prefer western qualified CPAs/equivalent.

The low cost Indians (referred to here) that work in accounts for AED 4 -10k have just their BCom degree and not CA. Indians with BCom degrees are a dime a dozen.

Often, Indian qualified chartered accountants (i.e. CA) go on to do their CPA/equivalent. Only the really mediocre Indian CAs who have just managed to scrape through their exams will accept low salaries - so don't be put off .

Last edited by IndieG; Sep 13th 2006 at 6:11 am.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:04 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Not necessarily, depends on whether or not you are a qualified chartered accountant - some multinationals prefer western qualified CPAs/equivalent.

The low cost Indians (referred to here) that work in accounts for AED 4 -10k have just their BCom degree and not CA. Indians with BCom degrees are a dime a dozen.

Often, Indian qualified chartered accountants (i.e. CA) go on to do their CPA/equivalent. Only the really mediocre Indian CAs who have just managed to scrape through their exams will accept low salaries - so don't be put off .
I disagree, we had 2 accountants, both Chartered, and they were on 5000 dhs and 4000 dhs respectively, and were amazing.

Every time we put an ad in the paper for a Chartered accountant salary 5000 we got 200-500 responses from chartered accountants (or said their cv)
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
I disagree, we had 2 accountants, both Chartered, and they were on 5000 dhs and 4000 dhs respectively, and were amazing.

Every time we put an ad in the paper for a Chartered accountant salary 5000 we got 200-500 responses from chartered accountants (or said their cv)

Well, then the salaries in India for qualified Chartered accountants is definitely higher than in India. Your staff may have had a degree in Accounting (BCom) but not CA (and may have been amazing by your standards?), if they were qualified with a CA degree then they were just stupid to work at those salaries.

People will get exploited if they allow themselves to be exploited - I understand the situation in case of the illiterate and poor labourers - they don't have a choice. But for qualified chartered accountants (and I sincerely doubt they are - there's a big difference between inter CA/BCom and CA)that are willing to work for a pittance when they can get better jobs in India - well what can I say - except that they deserve it.

Last edited by IndieG; Sep 13th 2006 at 1:43 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:59 pm
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
Well, then the salaries in India for qualified Chartered accountants is definitely higher than in India. Your staff may have had a degree in Accounting (BCom) but not CA (and may have been amazing by your standards?), if they were qualified with a CA degree then they were just stupid to work at those salaries.

People will get exploited if they allow themselves to be exploited - I understand the situation in case of the illiterate and poor labourers - they don't have a choice. But for qualified chartered accountants (and I sincerely doubt they are - there's a big difference between inter CA/BCom and CA)that are willing to work for a pittance when they can get better jobs in India - well what can I say - except that they deserve it.
Actually, I can guarantee you they were Chartered Accountants, seeing that they had their CA degrees in their offices and were also members of the Bombay Certified Accountants Society(BCAS).

I think you have a slightly skewed idea of what Indians actually make in Dubai, even educated ones.

Look in the paper, you'll find hundreds of jobs advertised for CA's with salaries in the 6-10,000 dhs range.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TA5
I think you have a slightly skewed idea of what Indians actually make in Dubai, even educated ones.

Look in the paper, you'll find hundreds of jobs advertised for CA's with salaries in the 6-10,000 dhs range.

No, actually I have a very good idea of what Indians make, especially the educated ones. You have absolutely no clue about the education system in India. Just because a person from India has a "degree" (and yes even a CA, MBA, MD etc etc) means absolutely nothing. In a country where admission to a University is based on 'caste' and not on merit - I would be very wary about the qualifications flaunted by some of the Indians.

These qualified CAs(if they are qualified and as good as you're making them out to be) can have a MUCH better quality of life in India, and yet they work for AED 4,000 in your office ? Says a lot about them.