Reload this Page >

Life with kids in Dubai

Life with kids in Dubai

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

yummy-mummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Life with kids in Dubai

Hi All
I have spent a few days looking at different discussions on different issues about living in Dubai. My husband and I are seriously thinking of relocating here this year. We have 2 small children, one of which is due to start scool in september 2008
- any recommendations on good schools that we should be looking at or ones to avoid??? Do they make available results???
Am I correct in thinking that Childcare is difficult to get??? Was thinking of doing some myself in my own home?? Do you need registration/ qualifications for this?
My husband will have to work for long stretches is there much to do for mums with young kids????

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life with kids in Dubai

hi there. It's great for young kids, there is loads to do (mine are 2 and 4)...

I'm not sure whether childcare in the home is legal here, there are all sorts of laws about working from home, so you would need to research this carefully...

as for schools, loads of good ones, all with waiting lists, but you need to decide where you are living first, because you won't want a long commute for the school run...

childcare isn't the same as in the uk, many people employ a live in helper because it means you have a reliable person who knows the children, and babysitting etc...but others don't, although part time help is getting more difficult due to a clamp down on illegal workers...

MM, xx
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:47 pm

beebee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hi there. It's great for young kids, there is loads to do (mine are 2 and 4)...

I'm not sure whether childcare in the home is legal here, there are all sorts of laws about working from home, so you would need to research this carefully...

as for schools, loads of good ones, all with waiting lists, but you need to decide where you are living first, because you won't want a long commute for the school run...

childcare isn't the same as in the uk, many people employ a live in helper because it means you have a reliable person who knows the children, and babysitting etc...but others don't, although part time help is getting more difficult due to a clamp down on illegal workers...

MM, xx
Think it is illegal.. a woman I know was doing it in the Meadows but she told me she was breaking the law.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

yummy-mummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Re-think childminding out!!
How do you go about getting list of schools? What about pre-schools??
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yummy-mummy
Re-think childminding out!!
How do you go about getting list of schools? What about pre-schools??
try this for nurseries... http://www.dubaikidz.biz/nurseriesdubai.html and bear in mind that many of the schools offer pre-school (starting in the september from when they are 3 before the end of august)...

someone on here has a link to schools, i'm sure it's been posted before so do a search and you might find it...

MM, xx
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

wiki is another good stop, has a list of places...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:41 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
wiki is another good stop, has a list of places...
of course...the wiki...how can we forget...again
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice

think that just having access to a beach and sunshine will be great for us as a family!