Licensed to kill? Child Ferrari drivers headed for a road near you

Licensed to kill? Child Ferrari drivers headed for a road near you

Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:34 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Licensed to kill? Child Ferrari drivers headed for a road near you

And this is from an Emirati female.

The Government is considering lowering the legal driving age so that under-18s can run family errands. Whether this is a step forward on the “Road to Safety” is hard to tell. My father always said “driving is a technique” and I agree. Age nor gender matter – it’s about knowing how to control yourself and your car.

Trusting young teenagers with the responsibility of driving may have a positive effect on some, but it will reinforce the bad behaviour of others.

I began driving long before I got my licence, as did many young people I know. If I could go back in time and drive legally as a teenager, I would go crazy and speed my way across every road and through every junction until my tank ran dry. Of course, others might react differently.

At 22, I have been driving legally for the past four years, which means in the eyes of some I’m a very experienced driver.

I still make mistakes, the proof of which is that I get more than five tickets a month (last year I accumulated Dh10,000, this year Dh3,000 and yes, I know that’s a lot), but I’m experienced in handling a car at speed.

When I got my first car, an old BMW, I would never exceed 80kph or 100kph and I would never drive after dark. Now, when I’m on the roads of Abu Dhabi, you could say I fly at all times! I try to not go over 160kph, but 180kph isn’t unheard of.

I drive fast because I love it. I feel liberated and excited; in a boring life the thrill of fast driving provides the drama I need to keep me going.

My nieces and nephews think I’m a great driver, and ask me to go as fast as I can. I am always in control though. I would never want to hurt them, so I must be careful and responsible even when I’m speeding.

It took me time to be confident enough to drive at the speeds I do, but is that the case for every other driver in Abu Dhabi? Perhaps some people have nurtured their speeding habits less cautiously than I have. Are some learners too quick to speed?

Contrary to what people might think, speeding isn’t the biggest cause of road accidents. In fact, it’s the opposite – slow drivers and overzealous brakers are to blame.

Cars on the highway should travel at a speed of between 80 to 120kph, yet what I saw during a year of driving along Musaffah Road to get to my university, was that some cars would be driving under the limit – sometimes as slowly as 50kph. Which is not only unsafe and ridiculous, it’s frustrating for the rest of us.

Some drivers hit the brakes over any little thing, whether there’s a dead cat in the road, they’re lost in the middle of nowhere, or simply because they’re unaware of their surroundings.

One of the major accidents I was involved in was when I was driving on Al Khaleej Al Arabi, doing a little more than 110kph, when the car in front of me stopped suddenly, causing me to crash into it and ruin my lovely new car’s bumper.

When the police arrived, I was blamed, even though the crash was clearly not my fault. Unbelievable!

This was just one of many ridiculous accidents I’ve seen in the past few years, a number of which I’ve been involved in.

I can’t help but think that many so-called “accidents” could be avoided if it weren’t for parents spoiling their children by giving them cars such as Lamborghinis and Ferraris as soon as they pass their test. What are the parents thinking?

Giving a teenager who just passed his test a flash car capable of 300kph is almost bound to result in an “accident”.

I love fast cars, yet when I see young men driving Ferraris and Lamborghinis I know they will not be able to handle the engine. This problem will only get worse if licences are extended to those who are under 18.

It may be the case that when it comes to teenage driving, it’s a case of going too fast, too young.
I agree on the last four paragraphs though.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of
Default Re: Licensed to kill? Child Ferrari drivers headed for a road near you

At 22, I have been driving legally for the past four years, which means in the eyes of some I’m a very experienced driver. - Really? Try 25 years with NO road accidents luv!

I still make mistakes, the proof of which is that I get more than five tickets a month (last year I accumulated Dh10,000, this year Dh3,000 and yes, I know that’s a lot), but I’m experienced in handling a car at speed. - pull the other one luv, and just because you can afford to clock up 5 tickets a month is NO excuse for irresponsible speeds

When I got my first car, an old BMW, I would never exceed 80kph or 100kph and I would never drive after dark. Now, when I’m on the roads of Abu Dhabi, you could say I fly at all times! I try to not go over 160kph, but 180kph isn’t unheard of. - that would hurt should a cat, fox or camel run in front of the vehicle!

I drive fast because I love it. I feel liberated and excited; in a boring life the thrill of fast driving provides the drama I need to keep me going.

My nieces and nephews think I’m a great driver, and ask me to go as fast as I can. I am always in control though. I would never want to hurt them, so I must be careful and responsible even when I’m speeding. - I give up!

It took me time to be confident enough to drive at the speeds I do, but is that the case for every other driver in Abu Dhabi? Perhaps some people have nurtured their speeding habits less cautiously than I have. Are some learners too quick to speed?

Contrary to what people might think, speeding isn’t the biggest cause of road accidents. In fact, it’s the opposite – slow drivers and overzealous brakers are to blame.

Cars on the highway should travel at a speed of between 80 to 120kph, yet what I saw during a year of driving along Musaffah Road to get to my university, was that some cars would be driving under the limit – sometimes as slowly as 50kph. Which is not only unsafe and ridiculous, it’s frustrating for the rest of us.

Some drivers hit the brakes over any little thing, whether there’s a dead cat in the road, they’re lost in the middle of nowhere, or simply because they’re unaware of their surroundings.

One of the major accidents I was involved in was when I was driving on Al Khaleej Al Arabi, doing a little more than 110kph, when the car in front of me stopped suddenly, causing me to crash into it and ruin my lovely new car’s bumper.- oh dear what a shame, you were driving TOO close you stupid bint!!

When the police arrived, I was blamed, even though the crash was clearly not my fault. Unbelievable! - yes totally unbelievable!!

This was just one of many ridiculous accidents I’ve seen in the past few years, a number of which I’ve been involved in. - but you're such an experienced driver with four whole years experience under your belt, yet you've been involved in a number of ridiculous accidents???

I can’t help but think that many so-called “accidents” could be avoided if it weren’t for parents spoiling their children by giving them cars such as Lamborghinis and Ferraris as soon as they pass their test. What are the parents thinking?

Giving a teenager who just passed his test a flash car capable of 300kph is almost bound to result in an “accident”.

I love fast cars, yet when I see young men driving Ferraris and Lamborghinis I know they will not be able to handle the engine. This problem will only get worse if licences are extended to those who are under 18.

It may be the case that when it comes to teenage driving, it’s a case of going too fast, too young.
Sorry, but I'm totally speechless at this stupid woman!!
Old Mar 24th 2013, 9:53 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

'Age nor gender matter, it's about controlling yourself and your car'

'I am always in control'

'180kph is not unheard of'

'One of the major accidents I was involved in'
Old Mar 24th 2013, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Avalanche of reaction on Twitter etc - so if you click on the link again now, it comes with a pathetic self-serving comment by an editor before the main article starts............
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:07 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently she is their motoring journalist, unbelievable!!
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:12 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

You have to love the pile in of disappointed, outraged, speechless etc. yummy mummys in the comments section.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

this 'article' is that ridiculous it would look more at home on the Pan-Arabia Enquirer!

Truly shocking!!
Old Mar 24th 2013, 12:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Apparently she is their motoring journalist, unbelievable!!
She's an intern on the motoring section and apparently the blog post was not checked before it was posted. The editor of the motoring section is claiming it stands seperate from the main paper, but that is never going to be the perception of readers.

It shouldn't have been allowed. She is clearly arrogant, irresponsible and thoughtless and the paper should take it down, print a full retraction and make her go on a safe driving course, after a visit to a hospital to see people who have been severely injured in a road accident.

Old Mar 24th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Equestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud ofEquestra has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
She's an intern on the motoring section and apparently the blog post was not checked before it was posted. The editor of the motoring section is claiming it stands seperate from the main paper, but that is never going to be the perception of readers.

It shouldn't have been allowed. She is clearly arrogant, irresponsible and thoughtless and the paper should take it down, print a full retraction and make her go on a safe driving course, after a visit to a hospital to see people who have been severely injured in a road accident.

I absolutely and totally agree!!!

And my profile pic may seem a little ironic ......... the pic was taken after spending a fair amount of time to find a totally empty waste land in the middle of nowhere for hubs to have fun burning some rubber just before the rears needed replacing ...... it really was the middle of NO where! I promise!

Last edited by Equestra; Mar 24th 2013 at 1:19 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 1:48 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

An awesome example of Emirati selfish I am better than you ****wittery.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:38 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately her attitude is endemic among young emaratis.

Given that they have absolutely no fear of legal repercussions, no sense of consequence and zero sense of civic reaposibility these attitudes will continue to prevail until some hard questions are asked at the senior levels
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:54 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shiva
Unfortunately her attitude is endemic among young emaratis.

Given that they have absolutely no fear of legal repercussions, no sense of consequence and zero sense of civic reaposibility these attitudes will continue to prevail until some hard questions are asked at the senior levels
Yes indeedy.

In fact she could have just been "Hoist by her own petard".

If it makes the government think then it's served it's purpose.

But it wont.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Equestra
I absolutely and totally agree!!!

And my profile pic may seem a little ironic ......... the pic was taken after spending a fair amount of time to find a totally empty waste land in the middle of nowhere for hubs to have fun burning some rubber just before the rears needed replacing ...... it really was the middle of NO where! I promise!
Don't worry - nobody can see what your avatar is anyway...........
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
Don't worry - nobody can see what your avatar is anyway...........
Really? It shows in my view ....does it not yours??? Its a great pic, would be gutted if it's not viewed by all who bother to view my rare posts ....
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

I could introduce her to three families who have lost their sons here on the roads, but it would be a waste of time. The whole saga has coursed an uproar on social media forums, I shared it to my page, but I know for a fact that nothing will change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.