Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A levels in Jeddah or not?

A levels in Jeddah or not?

Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

aftabhasan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A levels in Jeddah or not?

Hello, hope you can help with regard to doing A levels in the British schools in Jeddah.
My husband, moved to Jeddah last year and the idea was that we would join him in Sept 2012 to start my 16 year old son's A levels.

However, we are hearing that it is better to stay in the UK and complete his post 16 studies here!

Will he be classed as an international student if he does move to Jeddah and then back to the UK for his degree?

Thankyou in advance for your advice.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:53 am
Account Closed

tayls123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A levels in Jeddah or not?

no as long as he's not out of the country for more than 3 years. i think he'd be better off studying in the UK though, might not be worth uprooting him for 2 years only to send him back for 3 of uni...
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

So long as he takes his A-Levels at an International School in Jeddah there is not a problem. He would apply through UCAS exactly the same as anybody else.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't he have a close friend or relative he could stay with? I would not recommend sending a teenager to Saudi Arabia under any circumstances. When I was his age and my parents moved away, I stayed put with friend/relatives instead so that I could complete my A-levels back home.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 1:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aftabhasan

Will he be classed as an international student if he does move to Jeddah and then back to the UK for his degree?
He needs to be resident of the EU for 3 years prior to starting uni to get local rates.

With the new fees, it won't make much difference to the cost, the real difference would be eligible for SLC loans, which would have better rates and repayment options to a private loan, and being a local student, you'd not have to pay up front costs.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
He needs to be resident of the EU for 3 years prior to starting uni to get local rates.

With the new fees, it won't make much difference to the cost, the real difference would be eligible for SLC loans, which would have better rates and repayment options to a private loan, and being a local student, you'd not have to pay up front costs.
That maybe what the words say, but I think it may be different in practice.

I know of a family who have lived in the UAE 20 odd years and are non resident for tax. They still own a house, and more importantly pay council tax, in the UK. That has qualified them to send young tarquin to university as a local.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
That maybe what the words say, but I think it may be different in practice.

I know of a family who have lived in the UAE 20 odd years and are non resident for tax. They still own a house, and more importantly pay council tax, in the UK. That has qualified them to send young tarquin to university as a local.
It might for some, but it hasn't for a awful lot of people. How strict to the letter of the law depends on how well off the local LEA is and there are quite a few that would want to see proof of residence such as school reports and utilities.

So it's not something to wing and hope the best for if you can't afford to pay cash up front.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

aftabhasan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tayls123
no as long as he's not out of the country for more than 3 years. i think he'd be better off studying in the UK though, might not be worth uprooting him for 2 years only to send him back for 3 of uni...
Thank you for all your replies...

We really want to move to Jeddah to be a family but just wanted to be sure that my eldest would qualify for a student loan.
Also we have two younger children aged 14 and 12, so its a huge consideration to leave the UK and then have to pay international fees at university...

Thanks for everyone's replies