A-Levels

Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A-Levels

oh it's ludicrous to say that standards haven't slipped - the A-level pass rate this year is almost 97%, compared with 68% in 1982. The proportion of pupils achieving A grades is expected to rise to 23% this year, compared with 8.6 per cent in 1982. Now there is no way that kids are significantly brighter or more hard working now than they were a few years ago...so what other explanation can there be than that the exams are easier!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...14/nexam14.xml

MM, xx
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rebeccadubai
The majority of students still come out with 2.2's. That is the average grade I think. You have to work really hard for a 2.1 and getting a first is rare.
its very true and 3rds are becoming very popular now as well... but then you have to realise that more people are going to university because they feel they have to.

the worst part about my a-levels is that they realised they were being criticised for being easy so they made two of the ones i took extremely difficult that year... and only 35% of people passed... so they changed it back the year after... doh!
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
oh it's ludicrous to say that standards haven't slipped - the A-level pass rate this year is almost 97%, compared with 68% in 1982. The proportion of pupils achieving A grades is expected to rise to 23% this year, compared with 8.6 per cent in 1982. Now there is no way that kids are significantly brighter or more hard working now than they were a few years ago...so what other explanation can there be than that the exams are easier!!

MM, xx
Guess it's because they don't need to worry about tieing shoe laces since Velco came into play, so more time studying
Old Aug 16th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
well there are things that are concentrated on in school anymore... ask a kid his 12 times tables and they'll stare at you blankly... but then they concentrate on passing exams rather than have the emphasis on real life application. So the exams arent' getting easier, they're just getting easier to prepare for.

Otherwise I think i'd hold off on my MBA for another 10 years lol
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:03 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Cham128 has hit the nail on the head. Schools are spending a lot more time teaching to the test now (as you'd expect had you studied the effect of rewarding by target achievement, when the target is but an approximate proxy of what you really want).

Also, there is a much wider variety of courses now. Maybe some are Mickey Mouse but nevertheless it does keep some of the students more interested!

I don't believe exams are getting significantly easier, but they're certainly getting broader and much less deep in some areas. And the new science curricula are rubbish!

(A Levels done between 1995 and 1996 here)
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Cham128 has hit the nail on the head. Schools are spending a lot more time teaching to the test now (as you'd expect had you studied the effect of rewarding by target achievement, when the target is but an approximate proxy of what you really want).

Also, there is a much wider variety of courses now. Maybe some are Mickey Mouse but nevertheless it does keep some of the students more interested!

I don't believe exams are getting significantly easier, but they're certainly getting broader and much less deep in some areas. And the new science curricula are rubbish!

(A Levels done between 1995 and 1996 here)
of course they are getting easier;

"More than one in four UK A-level entries were awarded the top A-grade this year, results show.
Figures from the exam boards showed 25.3% of entries were graded A, up from 24.1% last year.

The national pass rate rose for the 25th year in a row, with 96.9% of exams being marked A to E, up from 96.6% last year."
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

rebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cham128
well there are things that are concentrated on in school anymore... ask a kid his 12 times tables and they'll stare at you blankly... but then they concentrate on passing exams rather than have the emphasis on real life application. So the exams arent' getting easier, they're just getting easier to prepare for.

Otherwise I think i'd hold off on my MBA for another 10 years lol

Knowing how to sit an exam, as in, what type of answers you should give, how to be critical and how to analysis the question is important. I think people are better prepared for exams and therefore do better.

And, I know my 12 times table, but have never used it in real life, my good grades however have helped me get where I am today.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen

"More than one in four UK A-level entries were awarded the top A-grade this year, results show.
Figures from the exam boards showed 25.3% of entries were graded A, up from 24.1% last year.

The national pass rate rose for the 25th year in a row, with 96.9% of exams being marked A to E, up from 96.6% last year."
Yea but a Typical said ...how would you fair if told to study and learn ''this page'' rather than study and learn '' these 15 books''
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:12 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Wield Occam's Razor as much as you like, but that doesn't actually prove anything about whether the exams are getting easier.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

there are students now getting 6-7 A Grades. That was unheard of. even the very top students back in the 80's could only manage 4.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

there are students now getting 6-7 A Grades. That was unheard of. even the very top students back in the 80's could only manage 4.
My nephew and his friends averaged about 5-6 between them.... And as much as I love him, he really is as thick as mince sometimes.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:26 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Sorry, but that's rubbish. It was unusual but it certainly happened - and inspired me to my own clutch of A grades in the mid-90s. More than 4, thanks for asking.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
My nephew and his friends averaged about 5-6 between them.... And as much as I love him, he really is as thick as mince sometimes.
The whole point about A'Levels is that they are supposed to differentiate between the thickos and not so thickos. Its time to return to a system where only the top 10pct got A Grades and the bottom 30pct failed.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

The whole point about A'Levels is that they are supposed to differentiate between the thickos and not so thickos. Its time to return to a system where only the top 10pct got A Grades and the bottom 30pct failed.
but that is the point Inselaffen...there are no thickos now...everyone is equal, everyone deserves A levels and degrees...tis the law...!

MM, xx
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree, any exam that 97% of candidates pass has to be looked at. I'll bet the 3% that failed this year feel really sick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.