Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Letting HMRC know you have become a non-resident.

Letting HMRC know you have become a non-resident.

Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:56 am
Just Joined

nounouman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Letting HMRC know you have become a non-resident.

As a first time newbie to working overseas I was hoping someone could help, i have recently moved to UAE and once i was settled here i had been assuming i needed to inform HMRC that i am now non-resident in order to claim my tax back for my previous UK job. Having spent quite a while trawling their website i could only find information about notifying if you are going to be a landlord in the UK who is Non-Resident.

Advice on whther i need to notify HMRC of my new non-resideces status and any other general guidance would be great.

Thanks!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letting HMRC know you have become a non-resident.

Good day and wel come to the mad house .
When i left the uk many years ago i paid a vist to my local office and filled in the forms there and then.
How ever i suppose you could always write to them back in the U.K. where your local office is and ask them to send you the papers , there must be a way to do this online these days !!!!!
I am sure some one will correct me.

Also do not forget to register with the embassy as well just in case.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 11:40 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

You require HMRC form P85 to request non-resident status for tax purposes. If you have just moved to the UAE from the UK, you will be liable for UK income tax for the remainder of this tax year, unless you become 'permanently non-resident' which is agreed to be a period of five years, during which you have spent no more than 89 days per tax year in the UK.

Why do you think you are entitled to a refund??

EDIT > You can obtain the form online, but must send a hard copy to the Revenue. You can PM me if you need more info . (I advise on these matters professionally.)

-
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
You require HMRC form P85 to request non-resident status for tax purposes. If you have just moved to the UAE from the UK, you will be liable for UK income tax for the remainder of this tax year, unless you become 'permanently non-resident' which is agreed to be a period of five years, during which you have spent no more than 89 days per tax year in the UK.

Why do you think you are entitled to a refund??

EDIT > You can obtain the form online, but must send a hard copy to the Revenue. You can PM me if you need more info . (I advise on these matters professionally.)

-
I am shortly going to be crossing the 5 years hurdle - anything important change for me on this landmark?
CH
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nounouman
As a first time newbie to working overseas I was hoping someone could help, i have recently moved to UAE and once i was settled here i had been assuming i needed to inform HMRC that i am now non-resident in order to claim my tax back for my previous UK job.
Oh dear. Another newbie who thinks he will automatically become exempt from paying UK tax simply by moving here. You are going to be disappointed.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:59 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
I am shortly going to be crossing the 5 years hurdle - anything important change for me on this landmark?
CH

Yes. You effectively become exempt from Capital Gains Tax when sending money to the UK.

-
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shadya
Oh dear. Another newbie who thinks he will automatically become exempt from paying UK tax simply by moving here. You are going to be disappointed.
Well I am another one then, been here almost a year and I assumed that as long as you were out of the UK April to April no tax was due!, I wrote to the tax office and filled in a form for class 3 contributions and told them on that form were I would be living, should I have done or even should I be doing more? I would hazard a guess I am not on my own on this one.
Thank You
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:48 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Live for now
Well I am another one then, been here almost a year and I assumed that as long as you were out of the UK April to April no tax was due!, I wrote to the tax office and filled in a form for class 3 contributions and told them on that form were I would be living, should I have done or even should I be doing more? I would hazard a guess I am not on my own on this one.
Thank You
I'm the same as you.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in June 08 and got a refund for the over tax paid, we came back to the UK in January 2009 - had an appointment with TAX accountant, just got home, we will only be charged 20% tax on all earnings up to £34,500ish then anything over that 40%!!! I can quite happily say ive never felt so relieved in all my life!!! Hubby will go on to 40% for the remaining 3 months of this year but i dont care my tax bill has just been cut in half - yey!!!
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to allTansy is a name known to all

meow, could you clarify things for me. I understood that providing you complete one full tax year out of the country you do not become tax liable, what is this 5 year rule thingamebob? (apologies if this has already been explained before)
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:38 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Tansy
meow, could you clarify things for me. I understood that providing you complete one full tax year out of the country you do not become tax liable, what is this 5 year rule thingamebob? (apologies if this has already been explained before)

The five years to which I refer is in reference to partial tax years and capital gains.

If you are out of the UK for a full tax year, you should have no liability to income tax, but few people manage to time matters that well.

-
Old Jan 29th 2009, 7:45 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tansy
yes, Mr Kitty was told by the Inland revenue that he would be tax exempt as long as he spent a whole tax year out... because we moved out in Oct, this means until April 2010 (obviously), with no more than 90 days in the UK during 04/09-04/10.

On a related note, the form to get back in is a P86 and the Tax people don't actually inform the NI people. I was pleasantly surprised that the NI bods hadn't even realised I'd left the country.

Also, be aware that you are entitled to child benefit and child tax credit for up to 8 weeks after having left the UK, as long as you haven't (yet) declared yourself non-resident.

In hindsight, I - not intending to work in the UAE - shouldn't have bothered with the P86.