Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about cars

Let's talk about cars

Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:38 am
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice
Default Re: Let's talk about cars

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you can sell a Fortuner in 24 hours. I sold one twice in that period of time.
i can beat that :-)

Sold my FJ in 5 minutes :-)

No negotiation no grgrgr just how much you want and handed over the cash :-)

ok there were some paperwork but thats basicly it
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:40 am
Kraut

guuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really niceguuuude is just really nice

i think X6 is for middle east, because of the very limited surround view, a bad option compared to the X5
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guuuude
i can beat that :-)

Sold my FJ in 5 minutes :-)

No negotiation no grgrgr just how much you want and handed over the cash :-)

ok there were some paperwork but thats basicly it
That's the good thing about almost any Toyota. I sold my Land Cruiser to the first bloke who called. Again , no haggling, just a wad of notes.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 8:47 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
That's the good thing about almost any Toyota. I sold my Land Cruiser to the first bloke who called. Again , no haggling, just a wad of notes.
That's the ONLY good thing about almost any Toyota!
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
That's the ONLY good thing about almost any Toyota!
Yeah, you might come to respect them for their reliability, but they are entirely without any character.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we could talk about what we bought and how much we sold it for?

For example, I bought the smaller three door Pajero, brand new in 2008, for 95K and sold it for 62K in 2011 with 80km on the clock.

I'd be interested to see how that fared against other people's experiences with selling their cars....
Old Apr 27th 2015, 11:02 am
Just Joined

IrishManc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
Buying an old German car as you cannot afford a newer one is really bad economics unless you really know what you are doing. The money you save on purchase is what you risk spending on repairs!

In reality there is no such thing as being stuck with a car! It just means that you want to sell for a price nobody in the market is willing to pay. If you want to know what an overpriced car looks like take a quick peak at 80% of the cars listed privately on dubizzle.
Norsk, a bit presumptuous to presume I can't afford a newer car!!
I can in-fact go and get a loan or finance or actually buy a new car out right, however due to the depreciation value dropping as soon as I even sign for the car never mind drive it would be stupid, I only plan on being here in Doha a year or two max, and the likelihood of an accident here is pretty high so why would I buy a brand new car for someone to smash into it and with the insurance policies here, cost me even more money!

Don't presume when people are asking for advice!

For the short duration I am here I want a decent and nice car to drive without paying over the odds.

I'm hoping after a year or two, there will be another person in a similar position looking for a car what I am selling without paying a huge amount!

When I say 'stuck', I'm considering what the demand is in buying a 'middle of the road' car! not a newish car that people will spend a lot of money on or not a cheap run around either. I wouldn't say 80% or cars are over priced, it is clearly the going rate and market rate. I'm sure if you were selling a car, you would like at sites such as dubizzle and see what similar cars are going for and price it accordingly in line with market rates? or are you a 'do-gooder' who would sell your car below these rates and basically loose financially??? I don't think so.....

Similar to being back in the UK, buying a car brand new and then selling it 3 or 4 years later is sometimes harder than it seems and can take longer to sell on. People shopping for cars are either going to get a loan, or a finance or lease deal to buy a new car or others are looking for one for a couple of thousand as a run around, middle of the road priced cars are often used as trade-ins due to difficulty selling them.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

A for tuner for 110k will be the 2.7 four pot. It is one of the shittiest engines ever and ruins what is a good car with the 4 litre 6 pot.
Honestly dont do it. You will hate it
Look at a base or mid. Range Xterra for your 110k if you want new
Or better still get an F150 and a bigger loan

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Speaking of IrishManc's question about being stuck with cars,

I've narrowed down the options to either a brand new Fortuner which will come with servicing every 10k. Prices around 110k. Monthly payments will probably be around 2500.

Or

A two year old Jetta. Volkswagen is offering exellent deals on older Jettas. Still get a few years' warranty. Prices up to 60k. Can pay in cash, or if I wanted to take out a loan, put 50% down and have monthly payments around 1K AED. And I rather like the look and design of the Jettas. But are they easy to sell on when the time comes? Will I regret not having a 4x4 in this country?
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

The only people daft enough to buy a 9 year old X6 would be slimy lebos. Fortunately Dubai is awash with their sliminess so you will be fine come selling time. They are a real knob heads car though. Are you a Lebo behind that user name ?
Get a jag convertible or a classic Mercedes SL for a bit of class. So much better than people staring at your car and thinking...... Knob

Originally Posted by IrishManc
Norsk, a bit presumptuous to presume I can't afford a newer car!!
I can in-fact go and get a loan or finance or actually buy a new car out right, however due to the depreciation value dropping as soon as I even sign for the car never mind drive it would be stupid, I only plan on being here in Doha a year or two max, and the likelihood of an accident here is pretty high so why would I buy a brand new car for someone to smash into it and with the insurance policies here, cost me even more money!

Don't presume when people are asking for advice!

For the short duration I am here I want a decent and nice car to drive without paying over the odds.

I'm hoping after a year or two, there will be another person in a similar position looking for a car what I am selling without paying a huge amount!

When I say 'stuck', I'm considering what the demand is in buying a 'middle of the road' car! not a newish car that people will spend a lot of money on or not a cheap run around either. I wouldn't say 80% or cars are over priced, it is clearly the going rate and market rate. I'm sure if you were selling a car, you would like at sites such as dubizzle and see what similar cars are going for and price it accordingly in line with market rates? or are you a 'do-gooder' who would sell your car below these rates and basically loose financially??? I don't think so.....

Similar to being back in the UK, buying a car brand new and then selling it 3 or 4 years later is sometimes harder than it seems and can take longer to sell on. People shopping for cars are either going to get a loan, or a finance or lease deal to buy a new car or others are looking for one for a couple of thousand as a run around, middle of the road priced cars are often used as trade-ins due to difficulty selling them.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

F150? Are you joking?

You want everyone to think I'm an idiot Texan? Almost as bad as driving a FJ Cruiser.

Really, how bad is the 2.7 Fortuner? I'm not a speed maniac and there's tons of them around so they must be ok. The Pajero speed was fine for me and is the Fortuner slower?

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
A for tuner for 110k will be the 2.7 four pot. It is one of the shittiest engines ever and ruins what is a good car with the 4 litre 6 pot.
Honestly dont do it. You will hate it
Look at a base or mid. Range Xterra for your 110k if you want new
Or better still get an F150 and a bigger loan
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we could talk about what we bought and how much we sold it for?

For example, I bought the smaller three door Pajero, brand new in 2008, for 95K and sold it for 62K in 2011 with 80km on the clock.

I'd be interested to see how that fared against other people's experiences with selling their cars....
bought a 2009 model Ford Fiesta in in 2011 for 30k, sold it in 2014 for 24k. Happy enough with that!
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

F150? Are you joking?

You want everyone to think I'm an idiot Texan? Almost as bad as driving a FJ Cruiser.

Really, how bad is the 2.7 Fortuner? I'm not a speed maniac and there's tons of them around so they must be ok. The Pajero speed was fine for me and is the Fortuner slower?
I'd love an F150. They're mega. I wouldn't love an FJ, I like Millhouse's but just not sure about them.

If I were you, I'd buy a Pajero. It will re-sell in minutes.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd happily buy a Pajero but servicing is every 5k and I drive to AD several days a week and average 3,000km a month. That's taking the damn thing in for servicing every six-seven weeks, which would be a right pain. That's why I'm hunting for a car with longer servicing periods and the new Toyotas are now offering 10k servicing intervals. Volkies are even better, 15k! Hence the Jetta.

Maybe I'll take another look at the Tiguan but am a bit worried about resale value.

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd love an F150. They're mega. I wouldn't love an FJ, I like Millhouse's but just not sure about them.

If I were you, I'd buy a Pajero. It will re-sell in minutes.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd happily buy a Pajero but servicing is every 5k and I drive to AD several days a week and average 3,000km a month. That's taking the damn thing in for servicing every six-seven weeks, which would be a right pain. That's why I'm hunting for a car with longer servicing periods and the new Toyotas are now offering 10k servicing intervals. Volkies are even better, 15k! Hence the Jetta.

Maybe I'll take another look at the Tiguan but am a bit worried about resale value.
I bought a new 3.5 LWB Pajero in 2010. It's been serviced 5 times in that period and is currently sitting at 140,000KM. Get the oil/oil filter changed at an adnoc station every 5-7k (depends when I remember). takes less than 10mins.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:37 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

you can effectively ignore the service interval on a pajero.

They will easily go 10-15,000 km between services

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.