legal anomaly

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:24 am
Just Joined

guy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant future
Default legal anomaly

ok guys, i'm going through a little legal issue with my parents right now & i'd appreciate some advice. i've done extensive googling but still can't find out 'what i am'. so here goes...

- british citizen
- resident in uk until october 2002
- esl teacher, out of the uk from october 2002 until july 2005. no visits to uk
- return to uk july 2005, stay until august 2005; get a teaching job in saudi, leave uk august 2005
- return to uk for visits over the two eids; two weeks (nov 2005) & four weeks (jan/feb 2006) respectively

now here's the disagreement. in terms of taxation i know where i stand - i'm non-resident & hence don't pay uk taxes. however where do i stand in terms of the uk electoral roll? apparently my parents took me off the roll last october, after receiving an annual canvass update. it said something like 'list names of all those resident at this address' & my parents - because i'm working abroad (& more importantly because they deem it 'their' house & no longer 'our' house) - didn't put my name down. needless to say i got taken off the electoral roll.

so where do i stand? according to the electoral forms i can apply as an overseas applicant - but i need an overseas address (which i don't have; i live in whatever company apartment my employer tells me to live in). i telephoned the local council electoral office & they recommended i re-register using my parents' address; my parents have now threatened that if i do so they'll just take me off again. what can i do?

hope you can help,

worriedguy
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 7:50 am
Gill Palmer

Default Re: legal anomaly

Originally Posted by guy2
ok guys, i'm going through a little legal issue with my parents right now & i'd appreciate some advice. i've done extensive googling but still can't find out 'what i am'. so here goes...

- british citizen
- return to uk july 2005, stay until august 2005; get a teaching job in saudi, leave uk august 2005
- return to uk for visits over the two eids; two weeks (nov 2005) & four weeks (jan/feb 2006) respectively

now here's the disagreement. in terms of taxation i know where i stand - i'm non-resident & hence don't pay uk taxes. however where do i stand in terms of the uk electoral roll? apparently my parents took me off the roll last october, after receiving an annual canvass update. it said something like 'list names of all those resident at this address' & my parents - because i'm working abroad (& more importantly because they deem it 'their' house & no longer 'our' house) - didn't put my name down. needless to say i got taken off the electoral roll.

so where do i stand? according to the electoral forms i can apply as an overseas applicant - but i need an overseas address (which i don't have; i live in whatever company apartment my employer tells me to live in). i telephoned the local council electoral office & they recommended i re-register using my parents' address; my parents have now threatened that if i do so they'll just take me off again. what can i do?

hope you can help,

worriedguy
Hi

What exactly are you worried about? Not being on the Electoral Roll? Disagreeing with your parents? Your status as a non-resident British Citizen, or what? It isn't clear.

The form that arrived for the Electoral Roll specifically spelt out that it only wanted to know about people who would be sleeping under my roof - literally - on the night of October 15th 2005 or whenever it was. I happened to have been at home on the relevant night, but I could just as easily have gone sailing for the weekend instead and then what? Daft form, in my view!

There won't be another General Election for at least another 3-4 years, because the last one was in May 2005. Are you bothered about whether you can vote in local elections in the meanwhile?

If you can explain what it is you are actually worried about, I will see what info I can dredge up and will let you know anything I manage to discover.

Cheers

Gill

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:37 am
Just Joined

guy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant futureguy2 has a brilliant future

actually i'm mainly worried from a credit rating point of view. despite having an excellent credit rating i've just been declined for a loan. i bought my equifax report to find out why & the only non-excellent section was the electoral roll registration.

i guess subconsciously i'm also saddened by my parents' insistance that 'you don't live here anymore', which was news to me. identity issues i just have to learn to deal with.

guy
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:52 am
Just Joined

9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough9points is a jewel in the rough

- british citizen

hope you can help,

worriedguy
I think this has something to do with council tax :scared: . Your parents would be asked to pay more if more people living at their address. There is 25% discount for a single person, therefore I presume the more people living at any address the more council tax they would have to pay.

I hope I have answered your question.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 9:33 am
Gill Palmer

actually i'm mainly worried from a credit rating point of view. despite having an excellent credit rating i've just been declined for a loan. i bought my equifax report to find out why & the only non-excellent section was the electoral roll registration.

i guess subconsciously i'm also saddened by my parents' insistance that 'you don't live here anymore', which was news to me. identity issues i just have to learn to deal with.

guy
Guy

Try this thread on BE

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...Electoral+Roll

Also, try an Advanced Search in alll forums, using the key words Electoral Roll. I've just done that and stacks has come up. The above thread was the one below your own. I'll leave you to find and wade through the rest, and it might be best if you start a new thread called 'Electoral Roll/Credit Rating?' or something like that. It might spark more interest and create more response, I suspect.

Anyhow, I reckon searching BE and perhaps also asking your question in a different way - since you have now revealed that the credit-rating is what is bothering you, when it isn't even mentioned in your first post - will probably produce the answers you are seeking.

Good luck

Gill

Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:09 am
W10

guy
If you aren't resident in the UK or paying tax, are you entitled to apply for a UK loan?

Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an account with a bank in the UK and have maintained it properly (no unauthorised overdrafts, bounced cheques etc) then they will probably lend you money. I took out a loan with Barclays when I had been in Dubai for 18 months- they were quite happy to lend me the money but I have had an account with them for 19 years. Much cheaper than borrowing money here.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 4:54 am
W10

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Much cheaper than borrowing money here.
But not as easy to leave behind?

Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
But not as easy to leave behind?
It is a bit of a myth that you can rack up huge debts in Dubai and just leave them behind when you go home. These days banks have telephones, fax machines and even e-mails. Above a certain threshold (and I don't know how high that is) they will chase you for the money. Legally I don't know what they can do if you aren't in the country but I'm pretty sure they can make it very difficult for you to borrow money back home. Fraud is still fraud anywhere in the world and they have a copy of your passport.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:34 pm
W10

According to people I know in banking, business...they pretty much still don't chase you because they haven't signed up to any multi-national treaties on fraud - thus they don't have any direct co-operation with other countries.

It's the reason why (for example) Lloyds TSB didn't know anything about me here, despite me having a Lloyds TSB account in the UK for years. (Quote from my personal banker "We have nothing to do with the UK organisation other than sharing the same branding. we don't share any information so you have to start from scratch")

Same deal with HSBC - a global operation, except in the UAE.

I don't think there is much they can do (or maybe it's just not worth their effort - after all, the banks are all making 200% jumps in profit each year anyway) when you are not in the country.

They of course could be wrong, I don't really know, but I do know that expats are still regularly jumping the country leaving debts behind.

Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

barsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud ofbarsha barbie has much to be proud of
Wink Re: legal anomaly

Originally Posted by W10
According to people I know in banking, business...they pretty much still don't chase you because they haven't signed up to any multi-national treaties on fraud - thus they don't have any direct co-operation with other countries.

It's the reason why (for example) Lloyds TSB didn't know anything about me here, despite me having a Lloyds TSB account in the UK for years. (Quote from my personal banker "We have nothing to do with the UK organisation other than sharing the same branding. we don't share any information so you have to start from scratch")

Same deal with HSBC - a global operation, except in the UAE.

I don't think there is much they can do (or maybe it's just not worth their effort - after all, the banks are all making 200% jumps in profit each year anyway) when you are not in the country.

They of course could be wrong, I don't really know, but I do know that expats are still regularly jumping the country leaving debts behind.
what are you planning w10!
Old Feb 6th 2006, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Im on my way to a bank....any bank....
At the rate Im travelling in and out of the country,I can do a bank every month....

So many banks,so little time....
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by W10

I suppose it depends on how much debt. It probably isn't worth chasing you to Australia for $2,000 but for $200,000 it think they would make a bit more effort. Otherwise everybody would be adopting Shoushou's idea
Old Feb 6th 2006, 7:31 pm
W10

$200,000 is a huge amount though.

I'm thinking the average expat would be happy to abandon his car and leave with say $80,000 in his pocket in bank loans.

Old Feb 6th 2006, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
I suppose it depends on how much debt. It probably isn't worth chasing you to Australia for $2,000 but for $200,000 it think they would make a bit more effort. Otherwise everybody would be adopting Shoushou's idea
It is much better to spread the risk; apply for 5,000$ loan from 20 odd banks here in UAE,and disappear in a cloud of dust....

Disclaimer: Do not try this at home....