British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Legal advice needed... Employment termination and severance pay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/legal-advice-needed-employment-termination-severance-pay-744915/)

Amazon Barbi3 Jan 14th 2012 8:23 am

Legal advice needed... Employment termination and severance pay

The company i worked for have had to lay me off and paid my salary up to the end of that working month. But they are also due to pay me 1 month severance pay which they are now disputing even though this was agreed.

I am a UK national working for a UK national in Afghanistan and Iraq but based in Dubai supporting the US Military as a business development manager and have been with the company for 3 years and they are now saying that i need to give them all the contacts i have made in order to now get my severance pay. But part of my employability to another company is the knowledge and contacts that i bring. I feel this is not being handled correctly or fairly.

So discussions have gone from my employment as being laid off to now feeling like i have been fired. As i said, severance payment was agreed to be paid and now they have moved the goal post's.

I have emails stating that my outstanding salary and severance pay would be honoured and would be paid on time.

Is there any legal advice that can be given so i can be more confident in my next move. Thank you.

Bahtatboy Jan 14th 2012 9:52 am

Re: Legal advice needed... Employment termination and severance pay

Contractually they are bound by the agreement. Legally (at least under UK law) all information you acquire by virtue of your employment by them is theirs, and using such information in future employment is, in effect, theft. Where is the company registered?

Amazon Barbi3 Jan 14th 2012 10:14 am

This is where it gets a little complicated. The owner is Iraqi born but now british citizen and lives and works from the UK.

The Head office is based in Jordan and i have registered the company in my name here in Dubai. But i work directly to the owner and get paid to my UK bank account.

The owner has all the information he needs in the company email account which i no longer have access to but he is insistent in thinking i am withholding information from him about other contacts i have made during my time.

But he can view all in the emails. Unless he thinks i have a USB slot on the side of my head i can not give him any more information.

Hello.Kitty Jan 15th 2012 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Amazon Barbi3 (Post 9841641)
This is where it gets a little complicated. The owner is Iraqi born but now british citizen and lives and works from the UK.

The Head office is based in Jordan and i have registered the company in my name here in Dubai. But i work directly to the owner and get paid to my UK bank account.

The owner has all the information he needs in the company email account which i no longer have access to but he is insistent in thinking i am withholding information from him about other contacts i have made during my time.

But he can view all in the emails. Unless he thinks i have a USB slot on the side of my head i can not give him any more information.

why don't you give him a list of names, if that's what he wants? At the end of the day, it's the goodwill you've personally created with them that's of value and that can't be put on paper or transferred.

It's still a rubbish situation. If the company's registered in your name, then don't you have access to the funds to pay yourself?

Amazon Barbi3 Jan 15th 2012 2:18 pm

I wish......